Does it matter what your calories are made up of?

Options
2»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    My opinion is no. You can eat 1200 calories of Twinkies a day and lose weight. But your health won't be as good and you're going to be hungry. I started out with the philosophy of all things in moderation and I still believe that. But I can eat more food when I make it healthful and that's important to keep me from being hungry and to keep me going. For example, I could have a bowl of cereal with milk for about 250 calories. Or I can have what I did this morning, two eggs scrambled with a bunch of veggies and a slice of bread for about the same amount. I can tell you the eggs fill me up a LOT more!
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wow, a whole lot of replies have suddenly materialised since the last time I looked! :smile:

Thank you very much everyone - I'm really interested in what you all have to say on the subject, although there seems to be a lot of conflicting arguments! :ohwell:

I suppose in some ways it's trial & error, working out what works for us as individuals. As I said initially, I do try to include "healthy" food in my diet, but I like my little fixes of "snacky" stuff too - however, I will consider ditching those if the weight loss does not turn out to be as good as I'd like it to be. But if I find I can get away with it & lose weight, I'll probably carry on! :wink:

My priority at the moment is losing weight, as painlessly as possible. If/when I get to the weight I want to be, I may then consider making other changes to improve my general health - but this feels like a big enough mountain to climb just now, without getting too hung up on other aspects of nutrition!

Anyway, once again, thank you all for your input - I'm sure I will refer to your posts again in the days ahead. Good luck to everyone on your weight-loss journeys! :flowerforyou:
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as healthy as I can but if I know I'm going somewhere say out to eat I don't deprive myself I just make sure I pick something healthy and log it and make sure I stay with in my calories even if it means not eating the rest of the day. I can have sum serious willpower if I want too.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I pretty much stay within my weekly calorie limits and during the weeks when I make healthy food choices I lose WAY more weight than during the weeks when I don't make good food choices. I think it makes a difference. Even when I tried the Weight Watcher's Points Plus system, I had bigger losses during weeks I ate healthier. Plus when I am eating healthier it means less baking and more protein so maybe for me I need more protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :smile:

First of all, I apologise if this topic has already been covered somewhere on the board (I'm fairly new around here)

I'm just wondering whether you think it really matters what sorts of food you eat in a day, as long as you stick to your calorie limit?
    Don't get me wrong, I always try to include some fruit & veg, and I have a fairly sensible breakfast (cereal or toast ) but I do like to include crisps every day (lower fat varieties) and I also like to have something sweet! :tongue: (other than fruit!!) Plus I probably eat a bit more processed food than I should (partly because it tends to be easier & quicker for calorie-counting!!).

But in your honest opinions, do you think people lose weight quicker if they eat more healthily, and cut out the less nutritious stuff completely? I have only joined the forum quite recently, although I've dieted on & off for years. I'm sure when I was younger, I could get away with eating snacks & convenience foods & still lose weight, but age is no longer on my side!

Also - what about drinking water? I know most diets strongly encourage this, but I'm never quite sure what the scientific reason is? (I mean, I know it's good for you, but how exactly does it help you lose weight?).

Any thoughts/advice/ideas welcome! :happy:
    A Nutritional professor did a test on himself to see if "a calorie is a calorie" and went on Twinkie only diet (with some Ho Ho's and chips mixed in occasionally) for one month. He lost 27 pounds. And his cholesterol went down. Triglycerides reading was better.
    Now by no means is an endorsement to just eat junk, it's just to show that you can lose weight on calorie deficit regardless of what you may eat.
    But I am a firm believer in getting in your essentials first and foremost. After you've accounted for those calories, then the rest is up to you.
  • lroswald
    lroswald Posts: 11
    Options
    YES!! It matters! Eat CLEAN (as I like to think of it). The benefits: You won't feel hungry, your body will have what it needs to do it's job, you will heal faster after injury, you lesson your risk of illness...
  • lroswald
    lroswald Posts: 11
    Options
    lessen, that is.
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    I love the idea of not depriving myself of things I really love so I do a cheat day once a week where if there is something I really want I have it then I don't feel deprived.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    YES!! It matters! Eat CLEAN (as I like to think of it). The benefits: You won't feel hungry, your body will have what it needs to do it's job, you will heal faster after injury, you lesson your risk of illness...
    But that doesn't apply to everyone. I eat well, but not totally clean and don't feel hungry after eating. As long as my protein need is met and I have enough glycogen to exercise, it's doing it's job. Illness is usually genetic regardless of how healthy or bad you eat.
    While eating clean offers people to eat larger amounts of food because the caloric value is usually lower, it normally comes down to macronutrient content and calorie deficit.
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    In terms of weightloss, it doens't matter where your calories come from as long as you are getting the proper ratios of proteins/carbs/fats. A lot of people will tell you it matters but I am proof it doesn't.

Wow this sure makes me feel better about my cheat day and even that I may be doing something to help my weight lose so I dont have to feel bad at all about it. :smile:
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In terms of weightloss, it doens't matter where your calories come from as long as you are getting the proper ratios of proteins/carbs/fats. A lot of people will tell you it matters but I am proof it doesn't.

So exactly what amount of Protein/ Carbs/ Fat is needed for Weight loss? I have never been able to figure that out. Everyone i talk to says that Sodium is a huge factor as well as what we are eating, Most people say to eat "Clean" which I have a hard time with that.
    So even if we don't eat "Clean" you are saying that no matter were our calories come from we can still lose weight as long as we are getting enough Protein/Carb/Fat ??
    Sodium has nothing to do with weight loss.

I don't eat clean in the slightest. There is no difference in Clean vs unclean in terms of how they affect the fat burning hormones. I have read a study that backs this up. There is no magic ratio of the macro nutrients. Some people do better with lower carbs, some with lower fats. A good place to start is 35%protein 35%carbs 30%fat.

I agree with the general idea (different ratios work for different people), but I would say the 35% protein - 35% carbs - 30% fat is maybe too severe of a place to start (though you may end up there or possibly even with less carbs). Remember MFP's default settings are 65% carbs - 15% protein - 15% fat (which most people would say is too high on carbs, and I'd agree in many cases). So try something in the middle first - maybe 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat, and go up or down on carbs/protein/fat from there. I strongly believe that anyone doing over an hour a day of challenging cardio should be at at least 40% carbs (even if most carbs come from fruit/veggies).

And I think macros really only become important in the last 20 lbs or so, if you have a history of insulin-related problems, or if you are seriously training for some kind of athletic event. Until then, your plan of "eat mostly healthy and some snacks" sounds great.
  • daniey89
    daniey89 Posts: 23
    Options
    Heya! Welcome! I think aslong as you base your diet around healthy foods ( wholegrains, lean protiens. low fat dairy/substitutes and fruit and veges then I think including a few treats into your calorie intake won't hurt. I find that If i eat less processed food though that I'm not as hungry and end up eating less. As for water I drink two ltires of water a day this in including green tea aswell. Water is really good for your skin and also stops you from getting fake hunger ( sometimes we think we are hungry but actually we are dehydrated). I notice a big difference when i don't drink enough water. In sayingt this, I am no expert but I find that this really works for me :)
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie however you will stay full longer, feed your body the nutirents needed and give it the needed energy with eating healthy. You could technically lose weight with say ...a high fat diet but that isnt probably going to get you the results you want. I find if I eat real foods I am far less hungry.