Do Speeling errers drive yu nutz?

Options

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If I were to become a serial killer, I would kill people who spell things wrong. Especially the "your/you're" and "they're/their/there" and "two/to/too". People who typeee lykke dis are awful.

WOW!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me too much. I work with computuer programmers all day, which are notoriously bad spellers and even worse typists. I think as many of the errors are typos as actual spelling errors.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Man I am bad at it but usually im doing 10 things at once. I always try to sneak in a post to MFP in the few seconds I have to breathe.

My only pet peeve is hear and here.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    No. But I am not judgemental.

That's not how you spell judgmental...

On a serious note, you make a good point. I can understand why it annoys some people to see the same grammatical errors repeated ad nauseum. That is understandable and it doesn't bother me that people want to vent about it.

What DOES bother me (apart from unecessary capslock) are the judgments or conclusions some people draw from less than perfect grammar or spelling. Many people erroneously believe that it shows proof of a lack of eduction, intelligence or social standing.

It does nothing of the sort. Correlation does not imply causation.

What do Einstein, Pierre Curie, Michael Faraday and Erin Brockovich all have in common? They can't speel gud becuase they have daily sex. Ooops, I mean dyslexia (daily sex is an anagram of dyslexia in case you're wondering.)

Vent all you like. Start judging and expect a challenge...
  • Hattie2879
    Hattie2879 Posts: 131
    Options
    Yes, spelling errors bother me!!

And if someone types something in that short-hand crap, I don't even bother reading it. And I'm talking about that "ghetto" short-hand lingo, not the acronym short-hand stuff (i.e. LOL, IMO, etc are fine).
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    i hate typos and spelling errors, but most of the time only when they are my own mistakes ;) Sure, English is not my first language, but I seriously should start reading my posts before posting them, haha
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I learned to check my messages before I hit send.
    I sent a text saying i was driving around in the company car and auto-correct changed driving to drinking! Thank you so much auto-correct!
    I'm over mistakes others make, (or have made for them), as long as I can get the point of what they are trying to say. I have more problems with those who can't seem to get TO the point.
  • maria1113
    Options
    Haha, I never use auto-correct so all the mistakes are purely mine :P
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Life's too short to worry about spelling errors and typos on social networking site, message boards etc, :explode: especially as more and more people are using smartphones to access these sites on the go. :bigsmile:

It would be too rude to point out some of the spelling (and grammar errors) even amongst this Topic's messages :laugh:

I grew up speaking one language (Lallans) while being taught to write in another (English) as do most people in Scotland today, but that's just the way things are throughout the UK where local dialects prevail. I also used to teach English to Dutch teenagers - they had a remarkable grasp of English (some were even savvy enough to spot differences between British and American terms and spellings), yet often they would come to ask me for help with their Dutch homework (I studied Dutch language and culture at university). If only English were as simple and logical as Dutch, but c'est la vie! :happy:

PS. I am typing this very carefully because even a humble genius can make the odd mistake:wink:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's my full time job to catch spelling/punctuation errors in our internal publications. When I see these errors in a book I'm reading or on a sign posted in public, I get really annoyed. Our local light rail train has a sign posted about being required to possess a ticket. They use the word "possess" twice, but they spelled it "posses." Twice! Unreal! I had to email them about it. I never got a response, but one day, the signs were magically replaced.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny when people complain about being judged based on their presentation. I'm sorry, but you didn't take the time to care about what you're trying to say, then why should I?
  • dls06
    Options
    No. But I am not judgemental.

That's not how you spell judgmental...

On a serious note, you make a good point. I can understand why it annoys some people to see the same grammatical errors repeated ad nauseum. That is understandable and it doesn't bother me that people want to vent about it.

What DOES bother me (apart from unecessary capslock) are the judgments or conclusions some people draw from less than perfect grammar or spelling. Many people erroneously believe that it shows proof of a lack of eduction, intelligence or social standing.

It does nothing of the sort. Correlation does not imply causation.

What do Einstein, Pierre Curie, Michael Faraday and Erin Brockovich all have in common? They can't speel gud becuase they have daily sex. Ooops, I mean dyslexia (daily sex is an anagram of dyslexia in case you're wondering.)

Vent all you like. Start judging and expect a challenge...

Did you need a cigarette after that?
  • myofibril
    Options

No thanks I only smoke during sex...
  • maria1113
    Options

DURING sex? Not after? ;)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It's my full time job to catch spelling/punctuation errors in our internal publications. When I see these errors in a book I'm reading or on a sign posted in public, I get really annoyed. Our local light rail train has a sign posted about being required to possess a ticket. They use the word "possess" twice, but they spelled it "posses." Twice! Unreal! I had to email them about it. I never got a response, but one day, the signs were magically replaced.
    I would say that was a sign!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just read through some of those Facebook statuses. Too funny!

Yes, it annoys me. No, I don't correct people. But it does really make me wonder about the quality of our educational system. Call me judgmental, but when I read something filled with grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors, I cringe. Of course, I'm a pharmacist, and in my line of work, spelling is of utmost importance. Mix up a few letters, and there could be big trouble.

I always find it extremely refreshing to read an e-mail or reply on a message board that is grammatically correct. Yeah, it's just the internet. But, I also believe in the old "use it or lose it" principle. If you are lax with punctuation and grammar in everyday life (i.e. the internet), it will carry over into other aspects as well, where it could potentially keep you from getting a job. When I review applications and resumes, I may weed out applicants based on poor grammar and spelling.
  • Magic_Girl
    Magic_Girl Posts: 158
    Options
    I'M FIGHTING FOR YOUR FUTURE HERE CATHERINE!!!!!!

XD
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    My biggest gripes are people who constantly use all Caps for no reason and those who always use numbers to help spell their words. Really.. ? That crap doesn't gain you any respect or make you look intelligent.
  • myofibril
    Options

Lol - nooooo. I don't like cigarettes.

It was a play on the word "smoke." What happens when you rub two things together vigorously? It creates friction. What does friction generate? Heat and smoke. What do you do during sex? Rub things together vigorously.

Hence I only smoke during sex...

I thought it would be fitting on a thread about grammar and language ;)
  • dls06
    Options

Heavy Smoker