When do other people notice your results?

Options
When you lose weight, when do other people start to notice it? I don't mean close friends or family who will always want to make you feel happy about yourself, but colleagus at work, distant relatives, etc. I managed to lose over 5 kilograms in the last (more or less) 6 weeks and I can't wait for people to start telling me that they noticed it;-)

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My friends notice when they've not seen me for a while; those that see me everyday don't notice a thing unless I tell em.
  • laitae
    laitae Posts: 50
    Options
    My friends notice when they've not seen me for a while; those that see me everyday don't notice a thing unless I tell em.

I think it is always the case with people who you have not seen a while, they often used to tell me that I am thinner although I was fatter;-) What a shame we have to prompt compliments, they are so encouraging!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I lost 20lbs and my children couldn't even see the difference.
  • laitae
    Options
    [/quote

Really? You lost a lot, so I would think they would comment on it!:(]
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A big part of it is also some people just don't say anythng about it at all even if they see you lost weight.
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    I beleieve people notice it a LOT sooner than they say so. Believe it or not I had lost about 30kg (66lb) before anyone commented that wasn't family or a close friend who knew I was dieting. I'd even seen people and clearly saw their jaw drop when they realised who I was, but still they wouldn't utter a word.

When it finally started happening that people would say something, they all assumed I'd had surgery, either the of the gastric bypass kind, or that I had succumbed to cancer. Given I look really healthy, I have really been gobsmacked at how people don't say anything. Maybe they just wish it was them ... I really don't know why. :huh: Doesn't really matter anyway, because this effort is all for me rather than anyone else.

Same here ... rotten little sods :tongue:
  • laitae
    Options
    A big part of it is also some people just don't say anythng about it at all even if they see you lost weight.

Yes, you are right. I was just curious as one of my colleagues at work lost a lot of weight and people kept commenting on how she did well, so I'm a bit jealous;-)
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    20 lbs, ish.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds and people are just now starting to notice. I think it's because I'm really short and so every pound shows on my very small frame. I also wear scrubs alot and they are too big for me so it disguises the loss. I've noticed when I wear more fitted clothing more people notice. It keeps me motivated for sure when people notice.
  • laitae
    Options
    I beleieve people notice it a LOT sooner than they say so. Believe it or not I had lost about 30kg (66lb) before anyone commented that wasn't family or a close friend who knew I was dieting. I'd even seen people and clearly saw their jaw drop when they realised who I was, but still they wouldn't utter a word.

When it finally started happening that people would say something, they all assumed I'd had surgery, either the of the gastric bypass kind, or that I had succumbed to cancer. Given I look really healthy, I have really been gobsmacked at how people don't say anything. Maybe they just wish it was them ... I really don't know why. :huh: Doesn't really matter anyway, because this effort is all for me rather than anyone else.

Same here ... rotten little sods :tongue:

Yes, this effort is for us, not for everyone else, but it would be nice to hear some compliments that would encourage us to do some more work:-) You are probably right saying that they wish it was them. Some of them would rather say many negative things rather than one positive, like it hurts! Well done of your weight loss!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Almost precisely when I lost a stone (14lbs). It was uncanny!
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    Well, I'll tell you you've done a fantastic job, because you have!

I'm still waiting for someone to say something. Granted, I was going from within a healthy range for my height to lower in that range (I"m just not happy when my body is a particular shape) but I never wear very fitted clothing anyway. But the stuff that didn't fit at the beginning of the summer fits now, so maybe people will think I went shopping...
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    People who I haven't seen for awhile are shocked at how much weight I've lost. People who I work with everyday don't seem to notice, and I'm not one to brag about it. I figure they'll eventually notice.

I also am very very short and I wear scrubs to work that are way too large for me because I can't afford to replace them just yet.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had lost maybe 10lbs and was very proud of myself but when I mentioned to friends and family they just had a look of 'humour her', It was actually my work mates that first commented as my clothes were really baggy by 14/16lbs, however I work in a shop and a male customer came in and said "wow Kim have you been loosing weight, you look great" It was quite a buzz but he did say you never know when to mention weight loss to a woman as if you say they are slimmer they often joke "you saying I was fat" or some other comment and "I have been ill" so maybe some people just don't like to mention it as they don't know the effort we are putting into it, nowadays (32lbs) it is rarely mentioned unless I meet someone I have not seen for a while, or I am maybe dressed up for a night out. The important thing though is how you feel yourself.
  • laitae
    Options
    Well, I'll tell you you've done a fantastic job, because you have!

I'm still waiting for someone to say something. Granted, I was going from within a healthy range for my height to lower in that range (I"m just not happy when my body is a particular shape) but I never wear very fitted clothing anyway. But the stuff that didn't fit at the beginning of the summer fits now, so maybe people will think I went shopping...

It is funny when you lose weight, all of a sudden people think that you have so many nice clothes and in fact they are digged out from your closet:-) I think peopel start noticing when you wear fitted clothes a bit more, so I need to start doing that more often:-)

Well done on your results!
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    I think maybe they don't say anything because its like saying "man you used to be so fat before but you look great now"
  • laitae
    Options
    People who I haven't seen for awhile are shocked at how much weight I've lost. People who I work with everyday don't seem to notice, and I'm not one to brag about it. I figure they'll eventually notice.

I also am very very short and I wear scrubs to work that are way too large for me because I can't afford to replace them just yet.

That is the problem with losing weight, your clothes start look weird on you. However, if you are constantly losing weight, there seems to be no point to change up the whole closet as you will be losing more soon.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I think what I find frustrating, rather than people not noticing, is when I'm being careful with what I'm eating (checking calorie content etc) and their response is "oh you're still dieting then" WTF?!!! Its not a diet it's change in lifestyle!
  • turkishmelly
    turkishmelly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in 42 days and my clothes are so baggy. I just choose not to buy clothes till I reach my goal. But I have to look nice for my job. I really dont care. What are the belts for :)
  • laitae
    Options
    I think maybe they don't say anything because its like saying "man you used to be so fat before but you look great now"

You are totally right, if you say "you've lost weight", some people might think you considered them to be fat.