Why is Healthy Eating So Expensive?

Options

Replies

• maryloumag
    maryloumag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe prices are regional. In Indiana the fresh produce season is windind doen and fresh fruits and vegitables are already costing more. But it is worth it if it means eating healthy.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    start with a small change or 3.
    #1 Drink water - don't buy the expensive single serving things go fill up a 5 gallon jug and just refill a SS container or glass/plastic whatever. This will end up saving most people $40 per month minimum and is arguably "healthier"
    #2 if you eat out - stop getting the meal # deal thing you can get just the burger or whatever and skip the fries and drink (see drink water) this also saves money and is healthier provided you didnt need those extra fry calories to live.
    #3 for coffee drinkers - make a pot and learn to drink it black. You can store the pot in the fridge and drink a cup or two a day. The cost savings here can be huge and without adding creamer/sugar etc IMO it is a healthy drink in moderation. On a side note I prefer kona coffee from kauai a bit more expensive but I can drink it black and enjoy it.

For most people these 3 adjustments are more than enough to also pay for your gym membership.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    its not ....huge myth
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Its not..

its just an excuse for people who dont want to eat healthy

^ this too lazy to make an effort to make good meals
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Cooking at home saves me money and the foods quality is much better for the money.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I think it can be expensive but you can find your way around it with coupons and sales and such.

But when I think of healthy eating as expensive I think of:
    Whole grain bread is pricier than white
    Whole grain pasta more than white
    Brown rice more than white
    Lean ground beef more expensive than regular
    Almond/soy milk more than cow's milk (I don't necessarily think almond or soy is better than cow's but a lot of people do)
    Romaine lettuce and spinach is more than iceberg lettuce
    Greek yogurt is more expensive than regular
    Chicken is waaay more expensive than beef or pork (here at least...)
    The healthier cereals more than sugary cereals
    Etc.

It's that kind of stuff that is expensive. I would love to be able to switch my pasta and rice to whole grain but it is more expensive so I just stick with white instead. I love almond milk because it tastes delicious but rarely buy it. I do buy spinach for my smoothies but I wait until it's on sale because it's very expensive where I live (and I only have ONE grocery store in my town).

ETA: Of course, I don't know if the grocery stores where you live look the same with the price differences but what I have listed IS more expensive in the grocery stores in my area.

However, I think my biggest problem is my boyfriend...he eats ALOT. He's a farmer/plumbers who works like 14-16 hour days usually (or rather his work day is just never over) and he's big (like tall and big frame) and it takes A LOT to fill him so there's no way in hell I'd be able to buy healthy things to feed him (a head of broccoli would be a snack to him, and loaf of multigrain bread would last a few days, half a 9x13 pan of lasagna for a half a meal, etc) so I try to keep the pricier healthy items to myself and whatever I can make a lot of for cheap for him. :D
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It's not more expensive unless you buy a bunch of those 100 calorie snacks or frozen dinner weight meals
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If you cook for yourself, it's not!
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    I agree to a point. But I am horrified to see the price of HagenDaz ice cream and Doritos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

--and larger sized clothes!!!!!!

Sorry just had to say it!!!!!
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought too..but not anymore. I had an almost completely healthy shopping list, got about as much groceries as usual, and spent maybe half the cash as usual. Way cheaper than boxed meals and fast food.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I get 3/4 of my groceries from the 99 cent only store!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am in the same school of thought. I think it is more expensive to eat unhealthily. And it is certainly more costly in the long run to keep living that lifestyle if you anticipate what your medical bills might be.

I look at food as an investment in my health and I really spare no expense. It is worth it to me.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    A 3# bag of apples here is ~$3.99, get 9-12 apples depending on size (I eat macintoshes) a bag of chips (any sort) is also $3.99 for ~11 servings...this comparison alone helped me realize eating healthier is not more expensive either $-wish or health-wise. An apple, I find, satisfies me more than chips, which is perhaps why I eat less of them!

I also started, once again, to shop all three grocery stores here for the best prices I can get. One of them gets in mostly locally grown fresh veggies, this is a huge plus. I love to cook and recommend a crock-pot as an investment, it makes some wonderful meals, and can be 'done ahead' to be ready when you get home.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Its not..

its just an excuse for people who dont want to eat healthy

^ this too lazy to make an effort to make good meals

Define eating healthy? I think you need the parameters to gauge if it costs more. I cook everything from scratch, I cook Ketogenics for one person (who also lifts weights), low carb for another, one person has an eating disorder and one that has dietary issues. We are all in the same household. For example since our change in eating habits ( and exercise) we went through 2 gallons of milk a week average $5.00. Now we drink almond and or coconut milk. It costs about $3.69 a half gallon we go through 2 1/2 gallons a week. that's $18.45 just for that. Whey protein powder even at Costco is an added expense................. Yes we have eliminated junk food but add healthy foods and other products that can be costly.

It may depend on where you live and what your diet is. Lazy I am not and more like a short order cook. LOL I shop sales, Costco, and utilize online club card savings. So if asked if eating healthy is more expensive I say it depends on what your "healthy foods are". Since it can be subjective as to what is healthy.
  • Kkleo2102
    Options
    It's not. You have to know where to shop, when to shop and plan. If you ease up on meat and dairy, like only have it a few times a week. You'll save money from that. Find a local farmers market. Most of them, if not all, are seasonal. But you can find other stores that are reasonable. It took me a couple tries to find the places I go to when the market is closed. Also, if you plan your meals either a week at a time or a month that will save you from buying extra groceries. Always stick to your shopping list. Don't stray. That's where you start to spend the money. If there's different things you want to try shop around. And there's always coupons.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Not expensive at all. You save tons of $$$ by not getting prepared boxed over processed unhealthy foods. And even more if you make it yourself and not do the dining out thing. I love preparing my meals now. :-)
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think people are seeing through blinders, posting in regards to what they eat and use that as a reference. Some people eat low carb and meat and dairy is an important place in their diet, some are vegetarian etc.
    So for some their diet change has cost less, some more. And both can be correct since there is endless dietary changes for the good that can affect the wallet..
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I do think it is dependent on where you live.

Here in Western Australia

white bread and grain breads = same price
    greek yogurt vs flavoured yogurts = same price
    chicken comes in around $9-$10 per kilo for breast or thigh fillets and anywhere from $3-$6 per kilo for wings or legs
    lean heartsmart mince is more expensive than regular but looks a billion times nicer.
    fresh produce is usually cheaper than frozen *except* when there has been a massive storm wiping out crops (cyclone in Queensland wiped out banana plantations and they went from $2-$3 per kilo to around $18-$20 per kilo for a while there!!
    Tins of beans/lentils/chickpeas 99c to $2 depending on brand.

I CAN make you a nicer and much healthier meal for your $5-$6 you spend at McDonalds that won't make you feel like you are about to throw an artery.

Buy in season. Buy meats in bulk and separate them into portion sizes then freeze.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy fresh fruit and veg either. Frozen has just as much goodness because it's usually flash frozen within hours of being picked while fresh may have traveled around the country for days before it gets to you. Greek yogurt isn't a necessity, regular yogurt is just as healthy. Bulk foods are usually cheaper for things like rice, beans, etc.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I don't eat plants at all anymore, so for me, yeah it's a bit more expensive. I typically go through about $30 per day, but almost all of my food is meats, protein shakes, bars, and supplements. There are much cheaper ways to do things, but to me, plants are what food eats.

There are definitely cheap ways to eat decently, it just takes this little thing that so few people are willing to put forth anymore: effort.