Why is Healthy Eating So Expensive?

Options

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It all depends what you mean by "Healthy". If you insist on paying a premium for so-called "Organic" (or Ecolgical) then that is why.

In Great Britain plenty of healthy food is relatively cheap.

Is GM food classed as "unhealthy"? We aren't too overrun with it (yet!).

Spaghetti and Ketchup was a staple 45 years ago when I was a student - turns out the ketchup is bang full of antioxidants, anyway.
    - but not very filling so that was a false economy, really.

you don't have to live on steak nor salmon - plenty of cheaper cuts and species- or veggie is usually cheaper anyway
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Value. Healthy. Convenience.

Pick two.

In my experience, the only time "healthy" foods are more expensive is when you're one of those "EVERYTHING MUST BE ORGANIC!" nuts or if you're trying to stick to things that don't require much effort to prepare as they come mostly pre-prepared. Well, sorry, but part of eating healthy means being willing to spend time in the kitchen. Yeah, if you're not willing to do THAT, then it can get expensive. Stupidly expensive. But if you care about your health AND saving money, you'll attempt to learn what you need to in order to resurrect the arcane arts of combining basic ingredients over heat in a process the ancient ones referred to as "cooking."

My slow cooker and bags of frozen veg have had a chat and decided they want to pick all three.

Seriously, I can spend less time than it takes to read the cooking instructions on a pre-made meal opening up a couple of bags of different frozen veg, chucking them into the slow cooker with some stock and then leave it for the day. When I get home in the evening, all I need to do is hit it with the wand blender for a few seconds and I have a very healthy, very cheap homemade soup. I can use the same method to make a vegetable chili by adding tin of tomatoes and some beans (I soak and cook them in huge batches, then freeze them so I can quickly add them like this) to the frozen mixed veg and stock, then throwing spices in at the end instead of blending it. The results are tasty, healthy and will do about 6 servings.

Reheating the leftovers in the microwave takes more "contact time" than the initial cooking.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I spend far less eating healthy than I ever did when I ate "junk." I don't see how people think it costs more. ???????
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Aldi is your best friend! X
  • xyril
    xyril Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Buying healthier foods are cheaper because they can't be mass produced thus have a cheaper price. When you consider the long terms costs of bad heath vs the cost of food today, I'd rather pick up the tab now.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Maybe prices are regional. In Indiana the fresh produce season is windind doen and fresh fruits and vegitables are already costing more. But it is worth it if it means eating healthy.

Frozen strawberries for smoothies normally are the same price year round. Raisens, dried apricots and other dried fruit are normally a good price. Bananas are always reasonable. Cutie oranges are coming on sale this time of year.
    Winter squash and pumpkins are on sale this time of year. Carrots, celery and onions are cheap.
    ...you just have to shop around.
  • mattsgrl98
    mattsgrl98 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Aldi's! They have great prices alot of the time. Also I found it was very expensive when I started eating healthier because I continued to buy garbage foods for my hubby and then added healthy stuff to the cart for my kids and myself. So I was buying more stuff. Then I figured out if I stopped buying alot of garbage and started just buying healthy for everyone it wasnt so bad. Yes I cringe sometimes when I buy a healthy life flaxseed bread for 2.25 a loaf and there is a sale priced loaf of white bread next to it for .69 cents. But I remind myself there is other ways to save. Like for instance I would rather give up my pantene shampoo and buy sauve to save money than feed my hubby and kids and self garbage. Cooking homemade meals is a huge saver for me too. Making things from scratch is cheaper and alot healthier because you control what goes in it. My farmers market sadly is more expensive than the store so that isnt much help for me. Not sure how your area is. Frozen veggies and sometimes frozen fruits that are not in season are cheaper than fresh so maybe try that also. You could also stretch your meats by adding beans and such...
  • stygmah
    stygmah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're dining out, yes I agree it is and it's frustrating. But it's a matter of economics I guess.The fresh food rots first and has to get sold or be tossed. The fried stuff can be in the freezer so there isn't as much waste, therefore lower sales cost. If demand was higher, I'm sure it wouldn't be the issue, but it's a catch 22.

If you have the ability to cook at home (i.e. not a road warrior as I write this sitting in a hotel contemplating cooking dried lentil curry with brown rice on a hot plate to save some cash) do it.

I saved the most when I literally made a meal plan for the whole month in excel, starting the first week the flyer came out and budgeting to use ever bit of left over -- soups to get rid of left over veg, freezing them too for stir fries and making everything scratch. What didn't get used went into the next month's plan and was supplemented from the flyer. Much cheaper to stock the basics and then build from there -- don't buy pre-mixed anything, including spices and seasonings. Make it as you need it. I was flexible with the plan but it got my grocery bill down to less than 500 a month for a family of 3 when we were stationed in Yellowknife, NT Canada in the winter. That was a hard task.

I've lost approximately 20lbs in 10 months with very minimal changes to my diet or exercise but it does tend to go back on when I travel with my husband on business cause we're broke and the healthy restaurant portions tend to be the most expensive. Try sharing meals if you're dining out. We do that. It saves calories and cash.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    Frozen Veg! Fresh veg seems to be more expensive out here (hubby is in the Army, posted abroad) so we buy bags of frozen carrots, peas, green beans and broccoli every few weeks (about £1 each) and have it with everything.

Frozen skinless chicken breasts are also cheaper than fresh and can be made into hundreds of healthy meals.

I bought a few cans of mixed beans and made them into a soup, 5 lunches for under £5.

Buy everything in bulk and get airtight containers to keep things like cereal fresh.

For anything you can, look out for offers and buy loads and freeze.

It can be more expensive, but you just have to know what to buy. Things like weight watchers soups and readymeals can be a lot more expensive than homemade. Put veg with everything and then have smaller portions of whatever else you eat :)
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Pick two.

In my experience, the only time "healthy" foods are more expensive is when you're one of those "EVERYTHING MUST BE ORGANIC!" nuts or if you're trying to stick to things that don't require much effort to prepare as they come mostly pre-prepared. Well, sorry, but part of eating healthy means being willing to spend time in the kitchen. Yeah, if you're not willing to do THAT, then it can get expensive. Stupidly expensive. But if you care about your health AND saving money, you'll attempt to learn what you need to in order to resurrect the arcane arts of combining basic ingredients over heat in a process the ancient ones referred to as "cooking."

This is so true!
  • Villy17
    Villy17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes down to convience for people.

- Screw buying Almond Milk or Cow's milk. I make my own almond milk using raw almonds, usually comes out cheaper.

- I see a lot of people bringing up meats as expensive, and indeed they are. That's why I have found many different recipes using beans, lentils as the main source of protien. SO much cheaper.

- As has been mentioned, frozen veggies offer the same nutritional value as fresh.

- I am not a fan of frozen fruits, but buying what's in season makes everything cheaper.

It's actually very easy to eat on a budget. It's even EASIER if you take the time to plan out meals in advance.

And as myfitnesspal has taught me, PORTION CONTROL!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's not expensive at all if you have time to cook. Dry beans, cabbage, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, onions, chicken... lots of cheap stuff that's good for you. Now, eating out is another story.
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I spend about the double on healthy food than before. I eat mostly clean, I use minimal canned products or anything predone. I prepare coconut and almond milk, butter, bread... I buy lot of stuff (veggies, fruits, eggs, meat) on the farmers market and they are more expensive than in the supermarkets, but they are better as well, and absolutelly fair trade.
    Supermarkets usually are very incorrect with their partners, like paying them only after 90 days or more, that's why they can be cheaper.
    It"s not easy to organize everything from a moderate budget I have, but I try because it's for my health.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    To me I made it cheap. I feed a family of three on about 70 dollars a week and I eat 6/7 times a day alone. I eat steak twice a day. Sales. Frozen veggies. Bags of brown rice, storebrand everything, etc. you can make it work
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    - I see a lot of people bringing up meats as expensive, and indeed they are. That's why I have found many different recipes using beans, lentils as the main source of protien. SO much cheaper.

Meats are so expensive, but when its on offer (or in the reduced section) I buy loads and freeze it. I have a freezer full of bags of lean mince meat!
    Smaller portions make everything cheaper too!
  • kiachu
    Options

Pick two.

This is so true!

I dont bother with organic unless its a crazy sale
  • time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be. It depends how 'healthy' you want to take it. This is what I get for a week:
    9 Greek yogurts $9
    3lbs of bananas $1.50
    Spinich $2
    Tomatoes $3
    Chicken breast (usually 6) $10
    Whole wheat bread $2
    Nuts usually walnuts $5
    Pineapple $2
    Asparagus $3
    Usually 2 things on frozen vegetables $2
    I usually keep it under $40. Hope this helps?
    Other cheep things I don't personally eat are oatmeal cucumbers celery

I pair that with things I already have such as peanut butter that you don't have to buy every week
  • kiachu
    Options

Meats are so expensive, but when its on offer (or in the reduced section) I buy loads and freeze it. I have a freezer full of bags of lean mince meat!
    Smaller portions make everything cheaper too!

This is how I buy meat too
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've found healthy eating is somewhat more expensive with regards to time (and time is money). I spent at least twice as much time shopping, prepping and cooking. I have to make a trip to the store at least 2x per week to stock up on vegetables, since they just don't last that long and I don't have room to store oodles of them anyway. But I've found that since i don't go down every aisle, each trip takes much less time. Actually cooking the food takes longer. Instead of sliding a tray of frozen veal parmigiana into the oven, I'm spending more time standing at the counter slicing and dicing, tossing and stirring.

I haven't found healthy eating to be more expensive with regards to my checkbok balance - in fact, I've slashed my grocery bill by 40%. I no longer buy soda, chips, ice cream or anything that comes in a box with a list of ingredients. I've added nuts (expensive!), but a bag lasts a whole week and sometimes longer. A bag of chips was lucky to last an hour.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is more expensive for the majority.... but when you're cooking for one, have very limited food storage space and don't have set, regular meal times, it IS expensive.