How to handle the critics?

Options
pelleld
pelleld Posts: 363 Member
OK, this is going to sound ridiculous....but how do you handle it when people start to tell you that you've lost too much weight? I feel great, stronger than I've ever felt. I love the way the exercise DVDs have changed my body, I have a nice muscle tone, even in my legs which have always been the hardest to shape up. I know its possible to be too thin but I am SURE that I am not there. I know what my face looks like when I get too thin and it doesn't look like that now. I feel fit and strong and happy about where I am. I am 48 years old, 5'3" tall and seem to have settled in between 118 and 120. How do I handle the critics? The people who tell me to stop the DVDs? The people who tell me to eat more? Truly, I am not looking to lose more, just looking for the right combo of eating and exercise to maintain my current weight and keep the great definition in my muscles that I've worked so hard for. Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• morriusmfp
    morriusmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could tell them they could do with losing a few pounds themselves...!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow, very good question and I know lots of us have dealt with this. My mother always thinks I'm too thin (my BMI is 22.3), my girlfriend always comments (she's very overweight). All I can suggest is to smile and thank them for their concern and tell them how good you feel. It seems the comments come from both geniune concern and envy/jealousy. I'd be interested to hear others responses. Congratulations on your health changes by the way.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I expect it's just jealousy, guilt etc on their part. Perhaps they just don't like the way it makes them feel about themselves to see you in such great shape, but that's their problem. You are a healthy weight for your height and you are feeling great. Keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about what other people say, just accept that some people can't handle it and brush aside their comments, smile and carry on with what you know is working for you.
  • cshore54
    cshore54 Posts: 70
    Options
    I have already had people tell me this and I am still a ways from my goal. I am beginning to answer that I am eating very healthy and exercising and will let my body decide where it is most comfortable. It is more about maintaining the best health now, not about losing weight.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Hiya,
    don't you just hate people who think its their business to tell you what to do with your body. I, personally would go one of two ways depending on who is giving the "advice" and how much you like them.
    If its some sticky beak who's quite clearly envious of your success. I would go with something like "really? you think so? Well thank you but I don't tell you what you're doing wrong with your diet so please feel free to do the same"
    If its someone you like who is showing genuine concern, reassure them that you know what you're doing and you know when to stop. Smile sweetly and tell them you appreciate their concern and thank them. Then change the subject. Don't even enter into a conversation about it. AND never EVER feel you have to justify yourself to anyone.
    xx
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Perhaps you could tell them they could do with losing a few pounds themselves...!

:o)
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't handle them very well! lol.
    It;s really upsetting when you put in so much hard work, and are so proud of yourself and a few people make you feel like you have done it all wrong.
    My family are all up on me about being to thin now that I've gone from being so happy and proud, to trying to hide when I exercise etc! It's ridiculous!
    I really need to learn to handle it better myself!
  • Merrymel
    Merrymel Posts: 15
    Options
    Tell them " Oh you think so......I am just so happy with myself right now. I wish you could be happy for me too. My family and friends always tell me "your not fat, you dont need to exercise, your so tall, I wish I was tall like you, you carry it so well". I am disgusted with their opinions. Now I just dont say when I am exercising, or what I did if I ran or jogged for my workouts. My 30day shred program I am doing right now is top secret information actually. Only my MFP friends know I am doing it. Also, no one in my family knows about my life on MFP. They are too critical. So yes, I know what you mean. Jealousy is an ugly face....You keep on keeping on girl....You got this. You rock!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    oh i get this every day. most people just dont understand, as bad as it is, the minority of people these days eat healthy and exercise so its seen as out of the norm and obsessive to refuse to eat bad foods and to count calories and exercise even if your not trying to lose weight. people are going to tell you they know better but in the end most of these people who are telling you this are unhealthy themselves, if they were healthy they would be happy for you. and another thing - jealousy!

everyone says im too skinny and im too obsessed and ask if im on a diet. i dont believe in diets im just a super health nut.
  • ericagray
    ericagray Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, as long as you feel good about yourself, it shouldn't matter what people think. You look good for your age, and I would kill to look like you!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I would just reply, "I'm Happy".
    The comments will end pretty soon. People will get used to the way you currently look and move on to other things to comment on and other people to advise. Attentions spans are short.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Just Ignore them. They are just telling you that to make themselves feel better. They are use to seeing you heavier and you look different to them. People at work tell me If I loose anymore weight they are going to call an intervention. I just ignore them and although I'm trying to lose body fat and not body weight I just continue to do what I do. So, just say thank you and Ignore them.
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    You say you feel strong and healthy and that should be the guide. You could have your bmi checked to see if it falls into a healthy range. I am 43 and in the best shape I have been in a long time. I am 5'4 1/2" (yes I am claiming my 1/2") and was targeting 125 lbs but last week I did a cardiofit test to dial in my heart rate zones to lose that last 10 lbs and the trainer pretty much told me I should recheck my bmi since I had gained quite a bit of muscle weight my old goal was too low. I guess it depends on what type of DVD's you are doing and how much muscle you have gained. In the past I always did one or the other, watched what I ate or exercised. This is the best I have ever been at hitting on all cylinders and now I want to be at that "perfect" weight and get that last bit of annoying thigh off that has bothered me for years. How long have you been at your current weight?
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options

:laugh: love this
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Damed if you do, damed if you don't! :ohwell:

If you're picture is current, you look fantastic and happy. Congrats! I guess your nearest and dearest might just be worried you're not overdoing it and it's only natural concern, not necessarily jealousy or wanting to be a kill-joy.

Just do a couple of back-flips and end with a flourish and that'll let them see how much happier and healthier you are :wink:
  • jbenton091011
    Options

YEAH!!! Because subconscientiously they're sabotaging you!!!!!
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    To answer some questions...........hit goal weight of 125 in May, lost more weight after going on maintenance. Been between 118 and 120 for a couple months. Looking to stay about where I am. My profile pisture is from July of this year.
  • mariec25
    mariec25 Posts: 47
    Options
    If you feel great and look great then they should be proud of you, and I'm sure they are. It may be that they want to be in the position you are in but don't know how to or have the will to do it. If I am completely honest, I would have been that person months ago, I would never have been critical and I would feel happy for and proud of the person who had lost the weight but I might not have said it as often as I should. That is wrong, but its hard to admit to yourself that you need to change too and it may be defensiveness on their part. If you are over weight they won't feel so bad. I wouldn't see it as criticism as they know as do you, that you are happy and healthy. Keep going, you look amazing.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Say the following:

"I have done some detailed research and in fact I am the ideal weight for my age sex and height. I am happy with how I look and I love being fit and active. Please consider if you can say any of these things before expressing an opinion on my choices. I really don't appreciate you telling me how to live my life - especially when you opinion is not based on medical expertise on either physical or mental grounds. Let us never speak of this again."

"Let us never speak of this again" can be substituted for "Now off you f##k..." if you feel comfortable with this turn of phrase :)
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    When people ask how much more weight I plan on losing I tell them about 25-30 depending on how my body feels/looks. I get the "oh you can lose that much-" I just tell them that it will be a healthy weight for me. 135ish at 5'4.
    My usual responses to weight loss:
    thankyou
    I am getting healthy
    I am where I should be- or getting to where I should be.

I know that when people say mean things it is because they are jealous that I am doing something that they only talk about!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!