seyran Posts: 43
    Options
    cottage cheese is ricotta right?
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    \

No, cottage is not ricotta.....when you seperate during the cheese processes, the "curds" are cottage and the "whey" is ricatta....therfore when little miss muffet sat on her tuffet, she was eating ricotta and cottage cheese lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

No, they're different. You'll probably find them both in your supermarket (depending where you live!)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it plain and boring! [:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with a sprinkle of cinnamon or allspice on top, served on Ryvita crackers.
  • seyran
    seyran Posts: 43
    Options
    I live in Europe we have ricotta, I haven't seen cottage cheese. Maybe it is similar to jocca...thanks
  • Dander
    Dander Posts: 26
    Options
    I used to hate cottage cheese but it's the best thing to eat after a work out. I have it savoury;

* mixed with a teaspoon of sweetchilli sauce on rice cakes
    * chopped apple and sweetcorn relish
    * half a teaspoon of curry powder or lime pickle
  • metulchik
    metulchik Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like mine with lots of cayenne pepper mixed in! I especially like it on top of roasted veggies/potatoes.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I live in Europe we have ricotta, I haven't seen cottage cheese. Maybe it is similar to jocca...thanks
    It's süzme peynir in Turkish although you might also find it labled as "Hütten Käse" - I know that's the German transaltion for it but is also sold as that in the Netherlands and Scandinavia. :smile:

I'm sure I saw it in the supermarkets in Turkey (Turquoise coast) but then it might just have been imported for the tourists.

It's basically like pea-sized lumps of creamy, crumbly cheese curd in milky whey. Sort of creamy and cheesey and very tasty :tongue:
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    Options
    i LOVE it with banana, or a dollop of strawberry jam. my mom's always eatten it with cinnimon, but, i prefer my cinnimon cooked.. it's a bit to 'warm' for a cool food like cottage cheese.
    as of late, i've been having small spoonfuls on crackers, grissol crispy baguettes 3 cheese, or tomato and feta. ..mmmmm
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love Cottage Cheese with Pineapple but I eat it on Savoury things - i.e on Ryvita's with Tomato, Cucumber and Chilli Relish!

I love Fresh Salsa, so I am definitley going to try it now with Tuna and Salsa mixed in :smile:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Love it with berries or peaches and a drizzle of honey. Top that off with a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon and you are all set.

You can also blend it with an egg (I think) and sub it for ricotta in Italian dishes. I also use it in lasagna, and have a killer recipe for cottage cheese pancakes.
  • wmumalpal04
    Options
    I like mine with salsa either alone or on a rice cake!
  • jomernick
    Options
    add tuna to it and peas with a tablespoon of french dressing.. some other things I may add to cottage cheese is avadaco's and Mrs dash spicy seasonings with some cilentro tastes like guac! add a large leaf of lettuce and fold in a wrap! YUMMY... you can also add salmon and bell peppers. There is a ton you can do with cottage cheese.. Hope this helps.
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    I used to HATE cottage cheese, but not anymore. I actually had some last night at work. I cut up some fruit - strawberries, grapes, and kiwi,you can use any fruit you like, mix in a few pecans (probably 1 Tablespoon), and stirred it up with a serving of cottage cheese. Kept me full for the rest of my shift! Actually, I'm still feeling good, and I ate that at about 3 am. The pecans, or any other nut you like, make a big difference. I'm big on texture, and that little bit of crunch is awesome!