Anyone still lose 2 lbs/week and eat...

Options
13»

Replies

• cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia FIT armband and its pretty accurate. That's how I found out how off the MFP database is for me. So now I only count my exercise calories that my armband says. I think that's why I never ate my exercise calories before I purchased the monitor. I felt like they were way off and I was worried about eating them. But I'm slowly getting used to the idea. It SEEMS counter productive to eat them initially. But, I guess if you think of your body as a machine, helping it to burn hotter and hotter..well, I guess it makes sense to fuel the machine.
  • PammyPanda
    PammyPanda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I AM NEW TO THIS. WHAT ARE EXERCISE CALORIES?

Exercise calories are the calories that you burn while you exercise. You should eat most of them back each day for continued sustainable fat loss.

ok..... I understand the part about eating enough calories to lose weight, but am confused by the comments about eating back your exercise calories. i was always told in order to lose weight, you want to burn more calories then you consume. so why wouldnt i want to eat the amount my body needs to have enough fuel to burn calories, yet not eat more then necessary so fat loss is maximized?

you're all saying if I burn 500 calories a day, I'm suppose to eat another 500 even if I am already feeling full all day?
  • Lotz
    Lotz Posts: 2
    Options
    Im finiding it had to eat them back, im just not hungry enough. I work out nearly everyday and pretty much graze on fruit and raw veggies all day so when it comes time to eating them back, i just dont feel like it. Also, my goal allows me to eat 1800 a day...thats way to much for me.

Any tips? xXx :flowerforyou:
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I AM NEW TO THIS. WHAT ARE EXERCISE CALORIES?

Exercise calories are the calories that you burn while you exercise. You should eat most of them back each day for continued sustainable fat loss.

ok..... I understand the part about eating enough calories to lose weight, but am confused by the comments about eating back your exercise calories. i was always told in order to lose weight, you want to burn more calories then you consume. so why wouldnt i want to eat the amount my body needs to have enough fuel to burn calories, yet not eat more then necessary so fat loss is maximized?

you're all saying if I burn 500 calories a day, I'm suppose to eat another 500 even if I am already feeling full all day?

If you set up MFP right to start with then the daily calorie goal that MFP gives you already has a calorie deficit built in to lose weight. That said, you should eat close to the calorie goal MFP gives you each day including eating back most of your exercise calories. Depending on how far under the daily calorie goal you are, you are very likely to cause your body to hang onto the fat it has, either slowing down or even stopping fat loss. It may not happen right away but eventually you will most likely plateau. If you have a lot of weight to lose you can probably get away with it longer but as you have less to lose your body will plateau easier.

I wouldn't tell you to gorge yourself in order to eat the back but you should try to be close to your goal each day.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Im finiding it had to eat them back, im just not hungry enough. I work out nearly everyday and pretty much graze on fruit and raw veggies all day so when it comes time to eating them back, i just dont feel like it. Also, my goal allows me to eat 1800 a day...thats way to much for me.

Any tips? xXx :flowerforyou:

I don't try to eat them back at the end of the day like many people do. I generally have my exercise and food planned out in the morning or the night before. By doing this I know about what my calorie burn will be from exercise and I can plan my meals to "pre-eat" most of my exercise calories earlier in the day so that I am not having to try to get them in at the end of the day.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I eat the vast majority back but leave a delta of 100-200 if poss. I have lost 2 pounds almost every week, only a handful of exceptions.
  • PammyPanda
    PammyPanda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    that is very hard to do. Its telling me to eat 1200 calories a day, plus whatever i work out, so it'd be 1800+ each day which is a lot of calories! i've been eating 500-700 under each day and steadily losing .5 lb each day. the days i dont lose are when i actually eat the full amount of calories.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia FIT armband and its pretty accurate. That's how I found out how off the MFP database is for me.

Same here...it wasnt even close. Though, oddly, my BMR is a bit higher than what MFP estimates...but my exercise calories tend to be less. No idea why, but...well, that's how it works out.

At this point I'm not really on a 'diet' anymore, though. I use my BMF armband to tell me how many calories I've burned total, and I keep up with what I eat by tracking it...but I eat pretty much whatever the heck I want and never come anywhere close to eating into my deficit. I'm just not hungry. I generally burn 3000-4500 calories a day total, and cant ever eat more than 2000 calories even if I wanted to. I'm just used to eating lower calorie foods now.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is it healthy to not eat back exercise calories, especially if you are burning more than typical calories during a workout? The more I exercise, the harder it is for me to eat, which makes it that much harder to eat back all the calories. I burned about 1000 calories yesterday and I felt like I was gorging myself all day in order to hit my calorie goal.