Too Critical? McDonalds?

Options
I have a pal who eats McDonalds EVERY day (or every other day, w/e) and has lost 22 lbs. Misses meals, etc... It is totally frustrating and discouraging as someone who is trying to eat heathier and lose weight. Should I drop them?

Are you guys cutthroat when it comes to diaries you can see?

Replies

• amberlineilene
    Options
    Why does it bother you what other people do? Just be good to yourself, and do your best.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Well, as bad as Mcshiity's food is, it's HIS personal journey so he can do what he wants right!? If he was not losing weight and asking for help, the n DUH, dudes, lay off the McDs would be in order.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Well I wish I could eat that everyday and lose weight! But I think to each his own. If that works for that particular person, then more power to them. BUT, if its bothering you so much, just delete them
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    And this is why my journal is private. Not because I go to McD's every day, LOL but I can do without judgment.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Well... perhaps they have no choice (like... an employee who isn't allowed to bring in outside foods; I had this issue when I worked at a restaurant).

But really-if you can't be encouraging to this person, then perhaps it would be better to drop them. We aren't friends with people so they can cut us down or we can cut them down... we're supposed to be encouraging. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. If you can't be supportive, then maybe it is better to cut them loose and let their other friends offer encouragement.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    if he wants to loose weight eating McDonald's, then that's his prerogative. However in saying that he will have much more long term effects from having such a crappy diet.
    if you don't like it then stop hanging around with them.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Why drop this friend? I mean, it doesn't seem she is losing in a healthy way by any means, eating fastfood so often and not eating so often, but I don't see how that changes your friendship. Unless, she is throwing it in your face and/or forcing you to watch her mow down the Big Mac's.

I am not cutthroat, because we are here to support each other and I know that we are all at different levels and stages and use MFP for individual purposes. Like, for instance, I am not losing, nor did I sign up to lose, but to initially gain, then maintain. I will, IF ASKED casually mention something to someone, if it seems to be a recurring issue, but not if it is a one-off. If I am not asked and someone goes over, I simply do not comment. I am not here to tear others down.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's not my problem what other people eat.
    It doens't sound as though this way of eating is going to lead to long term health - sure they can lose weight if they cut calories, but they will be cutting down on nutrition too.

If it bothers you to have a pal whose eating habits and philosophies don't match yours, then delete them.
    If you can accept that everyone is different and that they might be learning something good from looking at your diary, then keep them.
    Your call!
  • slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you have 1200 - 1500 calories a day and you eat a McDonalds burger for one of the meals then reduce or skip another meal to keep within your limit... you will lose the weight. That being said... not the best way to go and I don't recommend it. However, if you HAVE to have McDonald's or you get discouraged and give up then I say do it and lose.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? If he isn't asking for advice - then I wouldn't worry about what he's doing. This is one of the reasons why I am careful about sharing my food diary with others - I don't eat McDonald's (ever) but I don't tend to eat perfectly and I don't want to be judged for my decisions.

I've lost 60lbs, so what I'm doing obviously works for me. He's lost 22lbs and what he's doing is working for him. Is it our business what he's eating if HE is happy with the results?

Nope.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    So you mean a friend here on MFP? It's totally up to you... maybe you can help encourage him/her...maybe you already are. Eating at places like McDonald's can work once in a while, depending on the choices. Again it just all depends upon your goals, what you want to get from your 'friendships', and what you have to offer to those friendships.

I personally wouldn't let it bother me too much...
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    if ya' like the person in general just try not to peek at the diary contents lol

I have had to delete ppl for various reasons but I never would for food choices!

best wishes for success in all of your endeavors:flowerforyou:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Well... perhaps they have no choice (like... an employee who isn't allowed to bring in outside foods; I had this issue when I worked at a restaurant).

Can I just say, worst restaurant ever! My co-workers get jealous of my packed lunches when they're stuck with eating Burger King.

As for the person who eats McD, if you think you should try to convince them to change I won't stop you, but it may not go well for either of you. I had a friend who ate fast food every day for almost every meal and ended up deactivating because we pushed him too far.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    And this is why my journal is private. Not because I go to McD's every day, LOL but I can do without judgment.

Agreed!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    ditch em and pick me! ive had Mc'Ds once this year and it was the apple dippers :)
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Why drop this friend? I mean, it doesn't seem she is losing in a healthy way by any means, eating fastfood so often and not eating so often, but I don't see how that changes your friendship. Unless, she is throwing it in your face and/or forcing you to watch her mow down the Big Mac's.

I am not cutthroat, because we are here to support each other and I know that we are all at different levels and stages and use MFP for individual purposes. Like, for instance, I am not losing, nor did I sign up to lose, but to initially gain, then maintain. I will, IF ASKED casually mention something to someone, if it seems to be a recurring issue, but not if it is a one-off. If I am not asked and someone goes over, I simply do not comment. I am not here to tear others down.
    ^^^^This. Very well said!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Same here.......
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Wow - I wonder if your 'friend' will run across this and then it won't be your problem anymore. **After my son was born I lost weight while eating McDonalds everyday. Of course I was having a side salad and occasionally a small burger or a 4 piece kids nugget, and I drank water.

The bottom line though is that you are here for you and if someone else's eating bothers you then it's time to let them go!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Agreed!

And agreed again. Everyone's metabolism is different. Some people can eat foods that others can't. I can't eat a single slice of bread or cake, but I'm not going to begrudge someone that pleasure if they can. If it bothers you and you feel like you can't be supportive, by all means, unfriend that person, but you really have no right to judge anyone else's choices.

But before you do anything, may I recommend the documentary "Fat Head"? It's available to watch instantly on Netflix and Hulu. A researcher spent an entire month eating only at fast food restaurants, to prove that it can be done in a healthy way. Whether you think it would work for you or not, it's definitely an interesting video and may make you a little more open-minded towards other lifestyle choices.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    While healthful food is important, portion control is the major cause of the obesity epidemic in this country. Fast food comes pre-portioned. A cheeseburger and french fries - from McDonald's or Hippie Joe's Organic Farm, contains a fair amount of empty calories, but so what? If you can fit it into your diet more power to you.