Treadmill vs Elliptical

Options
2»

Replies

• keost934
    Options
    I find that both work for me, though it pays to switch it up! Some days I will do a half hour session (at high intensity) on the elliptical, then do half an hour on the bike. Then the next day, use a rowing machine. Then the next day, use a treadmill. Not only are you using all your major muscle groups, you keep yourself from getting bored! Hill training on the bike is really good for burning calories, and even walking uphill does heaps on the treadmill, and you won't get sore ankles! Go for a run around the town too! Keeps things interesting!!

Remember, the best time to exercise is when it works for you! And the same goes for the type of exercise!! :)
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    i love and swear by the eliptical efx556. i can burn 1100 cals on it in 65 minutes! its great cause you move all your lower body without landing hard on your feet. just one constant motion. and you dont really feel heavy, idk if you do, but i hated feeling and hearing my feet hit the treadmill. i go by the eliptical every time :)
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ok, I do both and this is what I find. I love running! I usually run an hour on the treadmill. Sometimes i switch it up and use the elliptical instead. I get about the same calorie burn according to the machines calorie counter, but MFP gives me more for running.(ive gotta get a HRM!) So of course the elliptical is the better choice if you cant run for an hour. not to mention the impact and injuries you may suffer from the treadmill. If you only use elliptical, and want to get the most out of it, remember you burn more if you use your arms as well. Some have bars you can use to work your arms, but if yours doesnt then try not holding on and swing your arms like your walking or running. The machine may not reflect it but your tired arms will! I also use the interval setting. Gives me a great leg workout.
    Primarily, like others said, the best is the one you can and will do.
  • DLMcCutchen79
    DLMcCutchen79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I prefer the arc trainer. ;)

I agree, I can burn almost twice as much on the arc trainer vs. the elliptical in the same amount of time. I will say though that the elliptical is easier for me. I hate the treadmill....most boring exercise ever! I'd rather walk 5 miles in 95 degrees than spend and hour on the treadmill.
  • xjlishey1
    xjlishey1 Posts: 286
    Options
    Which ever you can do for a longer period of time is obviously going to be more effective.

Though it would benefit you to switch it up!

ditto!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I prefer the arc trainer. ;)

I'm with you on that. You burn more calories in a shorter period of time and it's easier on your joints. I was talking to the trainer at my gym and I asked him if the tread was better to lose weight on and he said the arc trainer is the best machine because it simulates running up stairs. Just a thought.