@dayzeerock...wow you're tougher than me..lol
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Right On!!!!!!!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!! Believe it or not, however, I added a line like this to my profile (first sentence), and people STILL SEND ME FRIEND REQUESTS with no message or photo. Now sometimes, it turns out that I commented on their introduction message (in which case, I understand they don't know the ropes). Overall however, I tend to allow folks to friend me, but then I'm quick to delete them (2-4 weeks) if they are not active and supportive or otherwise a good fit. I take my MFP friends seriously and require a mutually supportive relationship! Hello, that's why I'm here.
  • Tennis2Win
    Options
    Yeah, All I need is another social network to make friends! Because fb, tweeter, myspace, linkedin, etc. are NOT enough? Love to be motivating but I agree, I can't keep up with all of it. You have to draw a line somewhere!!!
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    2 thumbs up on this post!!! Throw a person a bone :)
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    For those who don't accept friend requests unless they have pictures...why? I can understand the no message thing - though if someone doesn't include a message in a request to me I can usually figure out why they're asking (usually it's because I posted a response to thread) but I don't need to know what someone looks like in order to be encouraging / supportive of them. A lot of people have pictures of their kids, pets, vehicles, spouses, etc.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Agree!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Usually the messages I get are:

Nice boobs.

I hate it when I get that message!! But, seriously, it's the least people can do. The only time I can see not putting in your message is when someone enters a topic looking for friends and you let them know in the topic that you sent a request.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    roaddog you crack me up! and i do have a great rack, but very strict moral standards(hubby only)--doesn't mean i can't appreciate a great laugh!!
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on this one... anyone who wants to be my friend that doesn't have a message might not make it. Like many of the previous posters, I want to have actual reasons that I'm friends with people here. It doesn't have to be much, but just say how you found me, or if you know me in real life, whatever. If you want to just lurk and watch me, that's fine too.. just tell me that. Leaving out a path of where you came from --creepy.

That said, I can be pretty private about things with people I don't know either, so maybe that's just me.
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I actually put looking for supportive girlfriends and hear about that! I think that asking for a reason is not too much to ask. I am working towards my goal of 100 lbs and add people who are like minded :) And if someone adds me and then post inappropriate stuff they are gone! That may sound harsh but I don't want to read that.
  • kaimi2011
    kaimi2011 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm new. have no info but i really don't care if someone has a picture or not. SUPPORT with or without a photo, etc..gets my support!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    @jmruef..actually I don't have a problem with no photo if there is a message with the request.
  • kaimi2011
    kaimi2011 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @jmruef..actually I don't have a problem with no photo if there is a message with the request.

oops, sorry. skip my post. lol ;-) i have never sent a message nor received one from the friends that ask me to be friends. ;) i a newbie i guess and will catch on. lol but thank u to those that ARE my friends because i "need' the support!!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Very cool - I apologize if I read something wrong. I thought I saw that someone DID have a problem with it if there was no photo involved, and that made me wonder.
  • kevinlynch3
    Options
    lol..no problem..I can see how the way the way the topic is phrased might have come over like that.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Just a note to people who have some kind of message in their profile requesting that friend requests be accompanied by a reason...if your profile is private (meaning only your friends can see it), everyone else will not see that bit in your profile asking for a reason. The OP is fine; I can see his profile. But just today, I sent a friend request to someone (with a reason, of course), and now that we're friends, I see her full profile, asking that friend requests come with a reason. But only her friends can see that part of her profile. Just thought y'all would like to know. :-)
  • o0Amanda0o
    o0Amanda0o Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A message is a must, photo not so much. It's just that someone may not feel comfortable posting a picture of themself and that's understandable.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    I think it is important to send a message with a friend request. Sending the message personalizes the friend request and lets me know a little bit about the person that wants to be my "pal". Unlike FB, where I have a bunch of friends, all of whom I personally know, the friends I have on this site, I know not a single one, BUT, I typically know something unique about them. I like having something in common with the folks that are my MFP friends, whether it's living in the same region, having the same weight loss struggles and goals, or having similar jobs or hobbies.

Feel free to add me, but just send a message :)
  • kevinlynch3
    Options
    @Qarol..thanks so much for posting that and the fact that you can see my profile..I was wondering about that but hadn't experimented.