Im 35 Mother of 3 and im extremly Obese. and Scared

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! You've come to the right place to track your food and activity and to get tons of support and advice from like-minded people, which is exactly what you need to lose weight.

Start off steadily, stay within MFP's guideline calories, get in the habit of tracking all your food and drink and start doing a little exercise every day, even if it's just a short walk, and you'll steadily work towards your goal.

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend! :flowerforyou:
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You're Here! You have made a massive, great first step! Well done :smile:

Feel free to add me, we all need motivation!
  • iluvtosing2u
    Options
    Welcome. You're here. That's the first step! I'm pretty new to this site as well but have found a ton of support. I log everything I eat, even if it isn't the best. That way I can see exactly what I'm putting in my body. YOu don't realize how many calories things have until you log it all! lol Also, I log all of my exercise. Being very obese myself, I do understand that doing a lot of things is harder than a smaller person but just move. Walk a block, then work your way up to two. Do 3 jumping jacks with your kiddos. It adds up! I too have a son with special needs so I understand how they're a priority but you have to make yourself a priority now to be there for them in the long run. Feel free to add me as a friend. You CAN do this! Also, take a look at my blog for a little bit of my story: www.findingcassy.tumblr.com
  • marquesajen
    Options
    You CAN do it and you WILL. Find inspiration everywhere. Honestly, what got me moving was looking through fitness blogs and magazines. Get a subscription to a magazine maybe, start an online collage of inspiration, leave yourself post it notes. Enjoy this process of learning and discovering delicious healthy foods. Remember always to have fun :)
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Just remember...small steps. Start with one thing, (i.e. eating a healthy breakfast every day, or exercising for 10 minutes 3x a week). Once you feel comfortable that, you can add more. Looking at the overall picture can be intimidating, for sure. But taking one small step at a time will be much more manageable. When I was just starting back to exercising, even 10 minutes was a challenge. As I got more comfortable with that, I added 5 minutes. Now I am up to 45 minutes 3x per week.

Best of luck!
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just take one day at a time. We all understand, please know that you are "NOT" alone. I suggest that you make up in your mind that you want to "LIVE" and declare the works of GOD! You can do this, I believe in YOU!
  • julidav
    julidav Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I think you will find this sight helpful.
  • tatesmom
    tatesmom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! I agree with everyone else, start out slow and take one day at a time!! I will be honest with you, the first week or two really suck!! At least for me it did!! But it does get a ton easier!! It is now more a way of life than anything for me. And if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will probably notice a lot of weight fall off in the beginning and then it kind of slow down, so don't get discouraged!! You can do it!!! Friend me if you want and need the extra support!! This site is what has helped me lose almost 50 pounds in 5 months!!
  • wtbf
    wtbf Posts: 57
    Options
    Well, you've gotten a lot of great suggestions here! Stick with us and we'll help you through. I agree with everyone saying start slowly, if you try and change too much at once you'll find it overwhelming and get discouraged. Start with small amounts of exercise walking or swimming is great and change 1 bad eating habit (or just cut down) Drink your water!!! and track everything you eat even if it's not good for you. You can do this, it really is a huge mind game and whether you believe you can or believe you can't YOU'RE RIGHT!! So tell yourself everyday YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Welcome, added you as a friend, also have a lot to lose here, I think you've come to the right place. It makes it a lot of easier to keep yourself in check when you have a place to input food and exercise information, as well as people to motivate you and keep you in line. Make it a point everyday to log into this site to enter that information, and it tends to keep you on your toes for the most part.
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Friend request on the way :) but sure to use the food diary and log all your food, yes all of it :D It will make everything soo much easier and you will see even purely by numbers how good and bad everything is for you :) Keep your head up, it's a long journey ahead but we CAN do it. Take everything one day at a time, and I'm always here if you need someone to talk to, or even to complain to I'm a good listener :D
  • Carolrosser
    Options
    Hi. I'm Carol Rosser and I lost 10.4 lbs. in 5 weeks so far, since I've started a food and exercise journal on MFP. I'd love to friend you and we can support each other. I'll help you the best I can with everything I've learned so far. Just know that once you make up your mind to do it, you can! If you start to get discouraged, let me know and I'll give you incentive. You'll see that having a journal helps keep you on track. Joining MFP is your first step of getting healthier. Glad to have you on board. :)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You can add me for motivation. I understand where you're coming from. I've needed to lose weight since I was about 5 years old - literally - but never really had the motivation. Then, about 7 months ago, I looked at my siblings and realized they plan their days around what medication has to be taken when. It was a wake up call. I don't want to have to check my sugars several times a day and restrict what I want to eat because of diabetes. I don't want to have to take medication to keep my blood pressure and cholesterol low. I don't want to be forced to take elevators because I can't walk up a flight of stairs. You can do this. There's a lot of support on this site, and we'll work to get you through. I'm thinking that once you start seeing results and FEELING results, you'll find motivation within yourself.
  • ShanaDarling
    Options
    You've already done steps one and two equal: admit you have a problem and joined MFP.

This! ^

Welcome to MFP! I've been here about a month and have found it to be an AMAZING motivational tool; everyone I've met on here so far have been extremely supportive...

Changing your lifestyle is definitely scary at first - it's a huge decision! But probably the best one you'll ever make. You'll hear it a thousand times, but that's because it's true: "it won't happen overnight, nor will it be easy, but it will be worth it" (ask everyone here!). Believe in yourself, sweetheart, because you CAN do it :) Bravo to you!!

If you need someone to cheer for your team, feel free to add me! I love making new friends. :flowerforyou:
  • firefightinflip
    Options
    You've come to the right place, girl!! This site and these people rock!! Good luck on your journey!! Add me if you'd like!!
  • Sharonsimon
    Sharonsimon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    well done this is the first step, keep logging on every mealtime and report what youve had you will be fine, feel free to add me as a friend if you want . if you have any problems or queries someone on here will be able to help well done
  • aminomel
    Options
    You can do this :smile: You are off to a good start. I just joined a few days ago and there is so much support here. :heart: Take small steps and start by cutting your calories and doing a little walking or jumping jacks or something. I was very conscious of my body and didn't want to go out in public to exercise. I just do it at home. I can help you with recipes, support and suggesions. I will send you a friend request.

Good job! xoxxoxo
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on taking the first step! Your three kids should be your motivation. Take a good, long look at them and then visualize them as healthy, fit adults. You are their role model. If you start eating healthy and exercising, they will be more likely to, as well. Do this for them, as much as for you.

I agree that small steps are the best way to make this change and make it stick. Some of the easiest things to do now are:

Log everything you eat into MFP. There's nothing like looking at a day's diary full of junk food to make you realize that you need to make a change.

Then, no more junk food. When what is still in the house is gone, that's it. Replace the sweets and chips with fruits and veggies.

No more take out or eating at fast food restaurants except as an occasional treat. Find some simple, healthy meals - like stir fry - that you can make on those nights when you'd rather grab fast food.

Drink more water.

Start walking, even if it's just 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Eventually, you'll be able to do more and more but even a few minutes of walking will burn calories and get your heart rate up.
  • Islasgirl
    Islasgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Been there...done that and have been morbidly obese most of my life. My big wake up call was loosing my baby sister (54) to this. I had the same health problems she did and came home from her funeral deciding that I might die of other things but morbid obesity was not going to be the cause. That was in Sept of 2002. I began the Dr Phil challenge and lost 125 pounds. Kept off all but 5 pounds until this year when I had to be put on steroids for my COPD/Emphasema. Plus other health problems and death and sickness of friends and family put me into a depression. It's a battle and I plan on winning but it is so hard when you are 68! I'm putting together family picture albums for my sister's 7 grandchildren. She died in Jan of 2010 from a sudden heart attack brought on by 35 yrs of smoking. She loved those babies so much and it is so sad to know that she won't live to see them grow up. Ages 19-13. One graduated last May without her. So you can do this but it takes love of yourself and baby steps. Each day is a new day and you start over if you must. Do it often enough and it becomes habit. Best wishes and enjoy those babies.
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just lost my sister to her food addiction in February 2011 and my nephew is likely soon to follow her (he is 6'4" and maybe 500 to 600) pounds. I debate whether I might also have a food addiction.

My mom turned to Overeaters Anonymous for help (she was also morbidly obese and addicted to food). She got sober, went to a healthier weight, and was the happiest I'd ever seen her. I prayed my sister would also go for help, but instead I lost her. Get as much help and support as you can. If you want, here is the website for Overeaters Anonymous (http://www.oa.org/). You really are worth it.