Calories burned giving my dog a bath?

Options
This may sounds weird.. but would you track calories burned while you give your dog a bath? And if so, how? LOL

Replies

• armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    That would depend up on the dog! Are you talking about bathing a great dane or teacup poodle?
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I wish there was something for this, I have a wooly Akita and it takes 3 hours of actively bathing and brushing and conditioning and drying him. In total 5 hours are gone! I think I am actually going to wear my HRM next time so I have some idea of how many calories are being burned doing it. Especially since I am sore for the next two days afterwards!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I want to see "Calories burned giving a CAT a bath"! ;-)

But for the dog, I'd put it under Heavy Cleaning as it's a full body effort. ;-)
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    lol...I have two big dogs so it takes about an hour only one one has lots of hair......After that one dies (he is 13) I am so get another boxer...OMG so easy to care for the hardest part is getting her in our bath tub then it takes like 15 minutes if that and she is done...love it.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the dog.

For my dogs it's like a high intensity cardio work out just to get them in the bathroom.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well I personally wouldn't "waist" my time. . .being that you would not be at your target heart rate which is what will burn fat and calories. . . . .

But if you are serious. . an HRM . .. . .would give you that info.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    those of you are all like "omg really why would you bother tracking that", have clearly never had to bathe a large or extra large and super furry dog like a newfoundland, akita, saint bernard, etc. It IS a workout and if someone wants to track it then who are you to judge?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    those of you are all like "omg really why would you bother tracking that", have clearly never had to bathe a large or extra large and super furry dog like a newfoundland, akita, saint bernard, etc. It IS a workout and if someone wants to track it then who are you to judge?

on the contrary i have been either a groomer or a vet tech for over 20 years. so yes i know what it takes to bathe the, have personally owned a siberean husky /malumute cross. and a Belgium Malanios , not to mention a Hovawart (but her coat wasnt that thick but kinda) and no i still would not track it.

oh i have also owned horses and bathed them as well, nope wouldnt log it
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said not to judge. We are all at different fitness levels and what may be nothing to someone who is a groomer and vet tech, for someone else could be a work out. This site is supposed to be for support, if you can't be supportive then just don't respond.
    Krys, I probably wouldn't track it unless I was dripping sweat and it took more then 30 mins. Then I'd put it under light/moderate cleaning.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That would depend up on the dog! Are you talking about bathing a great dane or teacup poodle?

LOL True. He is a Bagel Hound (Beagle/Basset mix).
  • krysydawn
    Options

But for the dog, I'd put it under Heavy Cleaning as it's a full body effort. ;-)

LMAO!!
  • krysydawn
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said not to judge. We are all at different fitness levels and what may be nothing to someone who is a groomer and vet tech, for someone else could be a work out. This site is supposed to be for support, if you can't be supportive then just don't respond.
    Krys, I probably wouldn't track it unless I was dripping sweat and it took more then 30 mins. Then I'd put it under light/moderate cleaning.

Thank you. Thats all I needed. I don't understand why people have to be mean for no effing reason. Just say "Hey, I wouldnt track that for such and such reasons.." Its not required to be a douche.. :/

Thanks again. :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    I have considered counting it as 'running/wrestling/donating blood' lol!
  • krysydawn
    Options

on the contrary i have been either a groomer or a vet tech for over 20 years. so yes i know what it takes to bathe the, have personally owned a siberean husky /malumute cross. and a Belgium Malanios , not to mention a Hovawart (but her coat wasnt that thick but kinda) and no i still would not track it.

oh i have also owned horses and bathed them as well, nope wouldnt log it

Well yeah, being that you've done it for 20yrs... I wouldn't log that either. Clearly its part of your "daily activity".. but for the rest of us its not and so therefore, we may want to log it.
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also have an Akita, however I do not track the calories involved with giving her a bath. This may have something to do with the fact that her bath involves a trip to the groomers!!! :)

Seriously, kuddos to you for even messing with it, you are braver than I! I agree with the other poster and to put it under heavy cleaning. I also think the HRM is a GREAT idea!
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options

haha so true, i had a cat that got into something smelly so i had to bathe him. from behind the shower curtain, man it hurt
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have considered counting it as 'running/wrestling/donating blood' lol!

LMAO! The donating blood definitly depends on the mood the Akita is in at that time! :)
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't count it as I deem something of "exercise" as something I'm doing purposefully to raise my HR and keep it raised. Just like I wouldn't count sex.
  • krysydawn
    Options

haha so true, i had a cat that got into something smelly so i had to bathe him. from behind the shower curtain, man it hurt

LOL. I had to bathe our cat when I was a teen... I have never in my life (other then that day) seen a cat that could JUMP the height of the shower doors.... WOWZERZ! Now THAT was a workout. lmao
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    It's more like, my dog gives me a bath. I always have to fight him, but usually when I end up falling in the bathtub with him, he gives up...
This discussion has been closed.