Calories burned giving my dog a bath?

Options
2»

Replies

• Julia6633
    Julia6633 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    200 calories an hour according to this site: http://www.hivehealthmedia.com/10-household-cleaning-chores-exercise/
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options

:) Thank you.
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If it's not in your norm, and you broke a bit of a sweat doing it, I see no harm in logging it.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sod giving a dog a bath, I want to know how many calories you burn wrestling a decaying, maggotty hedgehog away from an 80lb dog lol. Or preventing an 80lb dog from beating a yappy little dog to death with his muzzle. Believe me, that's a dance and a half!

I personally wouldn't log bathing the dog but then my dogs not really a problem to bath. Hubby puts him in the tub, he stands there and trembles until told he can get out.
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    vigorous cleaning if its a big dog... thats what I do
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    I log bathing my dogs because I only do it once a season plus I have 3 big dogs and one medium sized one so it's a lot of work. same with cleaning - I log my heavy once-a-month cleaning but not the stuff I do everyday.
  • krysydawn
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who was HELPFUL. My dog isn't the easiest dog to bathe and so sometimes it takes a bit of time and a lot of wrestling around. Hes fast and angry when hes wet... so therefore, I thought it was something I could log. Being that EXERCISE for some people just the pure simple fact of being ACTIVE.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Close the lid, push two buttons, spin one dial and pull it out,..... not very many calories.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    There was no "RIGHT ANSWER" to this question. I didn't expect a "yes" or a "no".. What I did was mistakenly expect a nice response. That apparently was too much to ask for.

You asked IF we would, assuming you wanted an answer to the yes/no of logging. Phrase your questions for the answer you want, not for answers you won't like hearing.
  • rachdlew
    rachdlew Posts: 108
    Options
    I just have to say I love you Krys and you were my insperatiion to get moving and lose weight. If you wanna logg wiping your booty cheeks you do it girl. You know what you are doing and what gets your heart rate up. As for everyone else if you dont agree with it that is fine dont be rude. Kristi I want you to know you are a BIG RAY OF SUNSHINE i love you too lol you are so funny at least you kept it PG13 lol
  • krysydawn
    Options
    There was no "RIGHT ANSWER" to this question. I didn't expect a "yes" or a "no".. What I did was mistakenly expect a nice response. That apparently was too much to ask for.

You asked IF we would, assuming you wanted an answer to the yes/no of logging. Phrase your questions for the answer you want, not for answers you won't like hearing.

Of course it would be yes/no.. but I wasnt expecting one over the other is what I am saying.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    If I bath my dog (big lab) properly in the bath and wrestling and sweating and lifting and fighting and clear up operation after, I would sure log that - for the most part though I just turn the hose on her and skoosh a bit of shampoo on her (or get the kids to do it!), cos she rolls in smelly stuff a lot!:bigsmile:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Of course it would be yes/no.. but I wasnt expecting one over the other is what I am saying.

How can you not expect to get both answers?
  • krysydawn
    Options

How can you not expect to get both answers?

Um. Hello? IS THIS THING ON!?

OF COURSE I would get both answers. But I wasn't "hoping for a yes" or "hoping for a no"... I just wanted honest opinions. Not *** moderator edited ***.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the dog, I guess. My dogs are little and while they don't particularly care for water, they sit there quite obediently. Really, they're just unhappy and scared and stare at me like, "is it over yet?" But it takes all of 30 mins or so to wash both. I don't even break a sweat. :-)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who was HELPFUL. My dog isn't the easiest dog to bathe and so sometimes it takes a bit of time and a lot of wrestling around. Hes fast and angry when hes wet... so therefore, I thought it was something I could log. Being that EXERCISE for some people just the pure simple fact of being ACTIVE.

Even considering that your dog is difficult - I *guarantee* it does not burn 200 calories as someone else suggested - unless you weigh 500 pounds yourself.

The burn will be minimal.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Helpful tip. Before bathing pets, or any animal, take them to the taxidermist first. It makes bathing SO much easier. Plus, they will STAY.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all adults on here? Seriously, taking offense to the negative answer wasn't about it being "wrong" it was about it being rude and judgmental. There are several more besides that answer that said no they wouldn't log it, but their response wasn't worded in a way to make Krystal feel bad about herself or her activity level.
    I was taught that if I didn't have something nice to say not to say anything. There is no reason other then to try and make yourself out to be superior to be nasty to someone on here looking for help. If you truly want to help then you should word your answer in a supportive way. Mature people can do that even when they are give constructive criticism.
    As for those of you being sarcastic, those of us on here serious about losing weight, getting healthy and motivating others don't find you all that humorous.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just put your HRM on while dong it then you will see how many calories. I wear mine when I do cleaning around the house to
    get an accurate number. This would be the same thing.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Locking this topic before it just become a mass flaming

OP asked if you would log and how you would log, while you are free to say you wouldn't log and state your reasons there was NO NEED for the sarcasm.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I wish I could high light the "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" because snarky comments that do not help anyone are becoming all too common on here, which I find a terrible shame given that we all have a common goal, to get fitter.

Play nicely folks

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.