My GREEK Yogurt RANT!!! Please read this

Options
Ok everyone, before I start my rant I know that some of you will not agree with me or simply do not care because you are not diabetic and only count calories. But just take the time to listen to what I am telling you because I used to be that way, I never counted my grams of sugar or carbs for that matter. I only counted calories and fat because I thought that was all that mattered. Boy was I wrong; unfortunately, it was not until I developed diabetes that I found I was wrong. That’s why I cringe when someone tells me “Oh I do not count my sugar” see to them (and most people) if you do not eat cakes, cookies, candy bars, pies, etc you are not really eating sugar. My friends I am sorry to say that you are so wrong on this one.

Having said that let me start telling the truth about GREEK yogurt. Although, this is true about all yogurts, but I will just talk about GREEK.

Ok, I can almost see your faces, yogurt is good for us! Well, yes you are right, but it is the yogurt that is good for you, all of the added crap is not and that is what makes it bad, They put this extra stuff in it so it will taste super good and you will inturn buy it, because the word Yogurt is seared in our brains of being healthy. The same as we think a bagel is also good for us, when it’s loaded with carbs that turn into sugar in our bodies.

Here are the cold hard facts: (you can also see it at http://www.dannon.com/greek/)

5.3oz container of Dannon plain greek yogurt has:

Calories – 80
Fat – 0
Carbs – 6 grams
Sugar – 6 grams
Protien – 15 grams

5.3oz container of Dannon Honey Greek Yogurt has

Calories: 140
Fat – 0
Carbs – 23 grams
Sugar – 21 grams
Protein – 12 grams

As you can see it’s a no brainer that the plain is the best for you, not just because you are on a diet but because of the sugar and carbs. See everyone there are 4 grams of sugar in a teaspoon. So that means while you are eating the Dannon Honey GREEK Yogurt it is the same thing as eating 5.25 teaspoons of sugar! Would you just sit there and eat that much sugar on purpose? Guess what?? A plain Hershey bar has 26 grams of carbs and 24 grams of sugar! So basically, when you eat the honey, pineapple or any other then the plain you are eating the same amount of sugars and carbs then a Hershey bar. (http://www.hersheys.com/pure-products/hersheys-milk-chocolate-bar/standard-bar.aspx)

Not to mention the carbs also break down as sugar in our bodies.

See I have learned by taking classes about nutrition that they send you to when you are diabetic that sugar is sugar, no matter if it’s simple or natural. Your pancreas does not know the difference.

These extra carbs and sugars are not just in the honey GREEK yogurt, it is in all yogurts flavored with fruit or other junk. That is not natural fruit, I mean read the ingredients. When you eat the blueberry, are you trying to tell me that the jelly looking stuff around the blueberry is natural?

OK, now that I have that out of the way I wanted to explain what I do and how versatile plain GREEK yogurt is. Yes, it has a bite to it just like sour cream, so use it like it, in your recipes that call for any sour cream. You will be adding wonderful protein.

I add a teaspoon of Stevia that’s all natural and no calories. You can use Splenda as well. Then I will add my own fresh fruit if I want fruit in it. If I want something a little different I will add some MIO and that is wonderful in it! Since GREEK yogurt is so thick and creamy you can flavor it with stevia & vanilla extract to make a healthy cake icing, There are plenty of recipes for healthy low carb/sugar cakes.

Ditch the salad dressing or veggie dip! I cannot tell you enough how filling this even is because of the protein, but take you a 5.3oz container of plain GREEK yogurt and add some dill or the seasoning you want. The spice isle has so many different flavors now, like chipotle, Italian, etc. this is wonderful people!!

I say play around with different flavors; they have so many spices & extracts out there that will add no extra calories, carbs or sugars. In fact I am enjoying my strawberry/pomegranate yogurt now, flavored with MIO :glasses:

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    OH MY!!!! How I love Mio and never thought to flavor plain yogurt with it!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting and I'm sorry that yogurt was so mean to you. :flowerforyou:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    We each need to do what is right for our bodies. Mine needs an abundance of carbs due to my sport. I would languish otherwise.

Someone who is diabetic, obviously needs to regulate their body in other ways.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    i got some on my pants
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    , dbl post
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Exactly why I switched to plain greek yogurt (plus all the extra protein)! Will have to try the Mio...sounds good.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I was also shocked at the amount of sugar in all kinds of yogurt. I am diabetic and only buy plain greek yogurt and add my own fruit and Stevia too.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Isn't MIO just as bad for you since it contains "chemical sugar"? Those have been known to cause cancers, bloating, make you gain more weight, etc. I know I'll probably not be popular here for saying that since "chemical sugar" is calorie free, but that's my opinion. I don't eat the stuff.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Not all Greek yoghurts are equal. Take a look at Total Greek yoghurt.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Not sure what the point of the rant is. You don't get diabetes from eating sugar, reading labels is important yes, plain chobani greek yogurt (non-fat) is great imo. Wheeee!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good Rant!

I agree wholeheartly. I also eat just plain greek yogurt and add fresh berries along with a 1/4 cup of Kashi cereal for added crunch. My husband uses it on his sandwiches instead of mayo.

Diana
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I don't like the pre-flavored yogurts much - Greek or otherwise, they're gross to me. Too .... syrupy for lack of a better word. The Mio is a cool idea :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting and I'm sorry that yogurt was so mean to you. :flowerforyou:
    :smooched:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    The label makes sense. My understanding is that so called Greek yogurt IS drained and more dense than the regular ones so it only makes sense if every number is doubled.

I do the same with my 0% fat fage yogurt: adding honey or splenda, mixed berries, granola or a banana. It tastes like heaven if heaven had a flavor. :)
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well, I;m not sure if you know this but Dannon and most of the "Greek Yogurts" are true Greek yogurts ... in fact some of them say in a non-obvious way that it is a "Greek Style." Also, Dannon, in an attempt to try to become more authentic, and a strategic business move, bought out Oikos Greek Yogurt; this will start to happen with the other companies as well. Did anyone notice how Okios now tastes completely different? The closest thing you can find to a real Greek yogurt is going to be Fage or maybe Chobani (I noticed their consistency has recently changed).
  • brandon2743
    brandon2743 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound harsh, but it has to be said.
    You were 317lbs. I guarantee the amount of sugar you ate in your diet from things other than yogurt, was a much greater cause of your diabetes. Ex: pop, candy, chocolate etc.

The majority of the sugar in the greek yogurt, is lactose btw. Yes there is a lot of sugar in it, but the thing is comparing 21g of sugar in a serving of yogurt, to 39g in a can of coke, you can see the difference.

If you aren't basing your diet around ice cream, and cakes, etc. I'm sure the sugar in your yogurt won't kill you. CARBS ARE NOT A BAD THING. Carbs fuel your body, that's why we eat them. Sure you should have more natural sources like fructose, and more complex like those found in whole wheat products, but honestly unless you're tons of refined sugar, you should be fine.
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    Isn't MIO just as bad for you since it contains "chemical sugar"? Those have been known to cause cancers, bloating, make you gain more weight, etc. I know I'll probably not be popular here for saying that since "chemical sugar" is calorie free, but that's my opinion. I don't eat the stuff.

Agreed.

I buy Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt and add raw organic honey to it. I haven't had allergy issues or a cold since I've started doing so.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% is my go-to because I can find big tubs at Costco for pretty cheap! Their single-serve cups are 100 cal w/ 18g PRO, 7g of sugar.

If you stop eating sweets your taste buds will readjust. I can eat plain yogurt w/ fruit, no added sweetener necessary. It takes a while to stop the sugar cravings but it is possible. Plus you'll be getting some fiber along with the protein and carbs.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's not just Greek yogurt, either. I'm not diabetic, but I'm super sensitive to sugar (read: addict) and I'm obsessive about sugar grams. Just because a yogurt (yoplait, etc.) says it's "light" doesn't mean it's not bad for you. granted, you get the live cultures in yogurt, but i'd just as soon go with the plain greek stuff with some blueberries and some fiber one for crunch.
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. Sugar is sugar and for diabetics they are all the same. Its true when you read 'fat -fre' you should immediately think 'sugar -HIGH'. I'm not really into yogurt cause i dont eat diary products or meat , except fish occassionally but I do remmebr liking greek yogurt. I think I will go back to having it once in a while. I didn't think of using it for savoury dishes because I just used to pop some granola in it and that was my snack. Will broaden my food horizons!