My GREEK Yogurt RANT!!! Please read this

Options

Replies

• cmills11
    Options
    Correction:

http://www.compliments.ca/en/Inspired-Magazine/Spring-2011/Live-Well/Give-Salt-the-Shake.aspx

The stats I was referring to for salt and sugar in your processed foods was from the article link above. I was wrong about the 30% stat. Below is a quote to the correct stats.

"Only 11% of the salt we eat daily comes from meals prepared in our own kitchens, while restaurant meals and processed foods account for close to 80% (the rest comes from natural sources). So, the more food you make yourself, the less salt you’ll consume."
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I really think the main message is that Greek Yogurt doesn't mean healthy..
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I knew that the regular flavored yogurt had tons of sugar (that's why I stopped eating it), but I didn't realize that PLAIN yogurt had any. I use the FAGE 0%, I did the match and it has slightly less than the Dannon you posted.

I love mine (1/2 cup) with strawberries and mango and a packet of splenda.
    Plain does not have any flavouring. The "sugar" is lactose, which comes from it being a milk product.

I didn't think about it until I read your posting. thanks for the education.
  • crudolph76
    Options
    if you have an Android or an iPhone... download Fooducate. or just go to the website.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt all the time, not diabetic, but I used to buy the plain and add in my own stuff like you do and I fell off of the wagon. I'm definitely going to start doing it again, thanks!

The more I think about it, the add ins are usually too sweet anyway. I used to put in a little bit of homemade jam, sliced almonds, ground flax, and berries. Yum!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, that being said, I *would* rather eat 5 Tablespoons of raw sugar than come anywhere near Mio. Blech! The junk in that. :sick:

Personal opinion of course, and you're welcome to yours. :flowerforyou:
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options
    if you have an Android or an iPhone... download Fooducate. or just go to the website.

I love this app...I can't live without it, and I second this for anyone who can use it.

I might look weird, but I am CONSTANTLY scanning barcodes with it at the store to compare brands and get some insight before it goes into my cart (I don't buy much processed food but I want to know what's in it if I do).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I *would* rather eat 5 Tablespoons of raw sugar than come anywhere near Mio. Blech! The junk in that. :sick:

Agreed!
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ehh...not all brands are created equal...try Chobani, it's all natural and approved by clean eating magazine. Maybe next time try reading ingrediants of other brands before bashing a product entirely. Just my opinion.

I have tried Chobani and yea, its the same
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound harsh, but it has to be said.
    You were 317lbs. I guarantee the amount of sugar you ate in your diet from things other than yogurt, was a much greater cause of your diabetes. Ex: pop, candy, chocolate etc.

The majority of the sugar in the greek yogurt, is lactose btw. Yes there is a lot of sugar in it, but the thing is comparing 21g of sugar in a serving of yogurt, to 39g in a can of coke, you can see the difference.

If you aren't basing your diet around ice cream, and cakes, etc. I'm sure the sugar in your yogurt won't kill you. CARBS ARE NOT A BAD THING. Carbs fuel your body, that's why we eat them. Sure you should have more natural sources like fructose, and more complex like those found in whole wheat products, but honestly unless you're tons of refined sugar, you should be fine.

How do you think I have learned what I have? as I said sugar is sugar.

Sugar is NOT sugar.

Educate yourself please.

http://www.wisedude.com/food/sugar.htm

Different types of sugars, are digested differently within your body. Some cause quick insulin spikes, while others do not. I'm sorry, but you really do NOT have any idea what you're talking about.

Again, when it comes to a diabetic, to your pancreas sugar is sugar, where its natural or not. I have educated myself. I have also had several Doctors tell me this over and over.

And yes, I did weigh that much but it was not because I was eating cakes and soda as you think.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not a diabetic, but I have switched exclusively to plain (low-fat) yogurt. I have insulin resistance so I have an elevated risk of getting diabetes so I try to watch my sugar intake a little (though I always go over my daily limit due to the fruit I eat).
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I only use plain Greek yogurt with no added sweeteners of any kind( fage or trader joe's brand.)

I love the versatility of plain as you can use it for savory things as well as "dessert" like treats. For breakfast or a snack I usually eat plain Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of almond butter, pumpkin pie spice, a teaspoon of baking cocoa and a 7 grams of crushed pecans mixed in. So yummy and filling and hardly a sugar or carb to worry about.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has lactose which can increase your insulin levels but doesn't spike it as quickly as refined sugars. Therefore refined sugars are worse than lactose since there is a higher chance they will be stored rather than burned. These sugars do not act the same within the body.

Greek yogurt(sugar and all) can actually be good for you if you do a lot of cardio. After a cardio/strength workout you should eat 3:1 carbs:protein snack, which greek yogurt is perfect for. If you have just done a real workout, the sugar in yogurt is not going to kill you since your body processes it immediately, and actually requires it to maintain normal function. You just have to make sure that you are staying acitve enough so you burn that sugar whether than store it.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight, lower blood pressure, triglycerides etc. I had to take the apprroach that "sugar is sugar". Tweny years ago, my metabolism was much better at handling the insulin spikes. No, i'm not diabetic, but maybe in another ten or fifteen years I would have been. That's just my opinion based on my own experience and research.
  • rjacobson16
    Options
    I was under the impression that a high-sugar diet doesn't cause diabetes, but rather contributes to obesity which is what mainly causes diabetes. And so a generally thin, active person with a good diet could incorporate things like full-sugar yogurt without worrying so much about developing diabetes?

I plan on incorporating sugar into my diet (and staying under my calories) once I hit my goal weight. Is this wrong?
  • o0Amanda0o
    o0Amanda0o Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, I;m not sure if you know this but Dannon and most of the "Greek Yogurts" are true Greek yogurts ... in fact some of them say in a non-obvious way that it is a "Greek Style." Also, Dannon, in an attempt to try to become more authentic, and a strategic business move, bought out Oikos Greek Yogurt; this will start to happen with the other companies as well. Did anyone notice how Okios now tastes completely different? The closest thing you can find to a real Greek yogurt is going to be Fage or maybe Chobani (I noticed their consistency has recently changed).

Hi there! Is the Greek Yogurt you're eating the Traditional Greek Yogurt or the Non-Fat Greek Yogurt? The Non-Fat Greek Yogurt is made with 100% skim whereas the Traditional Greek Yogurt has 3% butter fat content. I ask because the Traditional Greek is new on the market, so maybe you grabbed a conatiner of that which explains the change in taste.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I heard from a dietician that the first 12g of sugar are lactose and don't count for someone who is not diabetic. Anything more than that is added sugar though. I was told to buy plain yogurt and add my own fruit.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    MIO is crap.
    I touted it until I started to notice how it reacts with water and the stains it leaves behind..notice it makes the water kinda "climb" the sides of the glass when you drink it? That is a chemical reaction happening and since I am not a chemist who can explain it I stay awy from it and caution others away from it.

And Fage 0% from Costco is BOMB and not crap like those others listed.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting this together, great info there.
  • amyv15
    amyv15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I was just on caloriecount.about.com and it gives the product a letter rating based on what's in it. Anyway, I eat Chobani and the pomegranate is my favorite! Of course, there are 19g of sugar! The Chobani plain yogurt has 7g! I'm in the process of trying to cut back on my sugar intake so I did a google search on what people mix with their plain yogurt and came across this post! I'm definitely going to try it! How many squirts of Mio should I put?