Please, someone talk some sense into me?

Options
I just realised that at 1lb per week it's gonna take just over a year to get where I want to be. Dunno WHY I just realised this, it's about as basic as arithmetic gets.

It just feels too big, y'know? Wish I had one of those American drill seargants to scream at me, Platoon style. :(

Anyone got some straight talk for a whining fatso? Be brutal if y'want.

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Imagine how you're gonna feel in one year when you look yourself in the mirror and say 'Damn, you look hot!!'

Or 3 months when you're already a quarter of the way there!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't think about it in terms of "it's gonna be a year" because you will see results continuously throughout the time it takes for you to lose the weight. It's not like you wake up at goal and THEN reap the rewards; you're going to have a lot of progress over time.

Break down your big goal into smaller ones. 10-lb increments for example, or "fit into a Size X by Halloween" or "be able to do X exercise by Y". It really does help make it more manageable.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Oh, so we're taking a trip to namby-pamby land? Would you like a tissue? So stop whining and start doing. Nothing worth having is ever quick and easy.

Now drop and give me 20.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Rome was not built in a day. Presumably, it took you a while to put all this weight on; it surely will take some time to come off. I have been fighting a battle with my weight since I was 8 years old (I'm now 18). My highest weight was 174lbs and I'm 130.5lbs now. How long has it taken to get off? 4 years, give or take. Every time I've become impatient, it's only set me back further and further. Live in the moment and enjoy life and it'll fly by. And one day next year, you'll look back on pictures from about now and realise just how far you've come, regardless of whether you've managed to stick to the rigid 1lb/week.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    think of how long it took you to put on that weight. At first the weight will come off faster but then it slows down. If you make changes for the long haul you'll feel better and the number to lose doesnt seem so bad. Also, try to split up the weight into 10 lb mini goals and reward yourself after reaching each one

It took me a year to lose 30 lbs but i havent gained any back. These last 12 lbs are giving me fits though...

slow and steady wins the race!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    You didn't gain weight over night.

It has taken me over 2 years to take off 70 lbs. And I still have 17-20 more lbs to go before my ultimate goal. In the last (almost) year I have bounced with the same up 2 down 2. DOn't be discouraged at all. Set small goals. Sometimes looking at the entire big picture is daunting. Take it one day at a time. Heck, take it one pound at a time but be assured that if you stick with it you will be successful!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you don't give up, it's not just next year, it's the rest of your life.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Once again this is about lifestyle changes and being a healthier person forever, not just the next year.
    Think of it that way.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    weight-loss is a journey. it took me one year to lose 40lbs.. the best part? my healthy lifestyle has stuck with me. eating healthy and working out have become part of my life, a great habit. of COURSE, i had my impatient days/weeks/months.. i STILL would love to lose 5lbs in 2 weeks.. but the odds of that are slim-to-none, when being healthy about the process.

you will had bad days. you will have awesome days. some weeks, you'll lose three lbs, some.. you'll stay right where you are. don't be discouraged. focus on FEELING better about your health and life, rather than what the scale says.

:)
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    as much as i hate the way it sounds you need to change your life. this cant be a diet or a quick fix if it is it wont last. you need to want to be a healthier you and to still be around in 10-15-20 years.
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have had this same thought. Then I sigh and realize that it took me more than a year to get this fat and my real goal is health and fat (by scale weight) is just a measure. I am already a TON healthier than I was a few months ago. I am eating better. I have more energy. I am willing to try new things (Sunday I plan to torture a tennis court for the first time). Yep, it's going to be a long journey, but there are rewards every step of the way. You can do it!!
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You are presumably trying to lose 52 pounds - one pound a week for a year. That's reasonable to be sure. But if you're really so discouraged about it taking that long then why not work a little harder and bump your goal up to losing 2 pounds a week? Then you'll be at your goal in half the time!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oh, so we're taking a trip to namby-pamby land? Would you like a tissue? So stop whining and start doing. Nothing worth having is ever quick and easy.

Now drop and give me 20.

*read in the voice of R. Lee Ermy* OT: I really love the Geico commercial with him as a therapist.
  • mbe0318
    mbe0318 Posts: 2
    Options
    There are going to be weeks you lose more than that... its just a goal to aim at to get where you want, what you actually lose has more to do with how active you are and things other than just caloric intake. Don't get discouraged! :happy:
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Next year is coming no matter what you do. When it gets here, how do you want to feel? How do you want to feel tomorrow, next week, next month? Start now. Deal with now.
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. A journey of 100 miles happens one step at a time. Now, quit whining and get on a tread mill!
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Every loss is a victory, especially the ones in the beginning where you see the scale slide past those weights you haven't gone below in years. If you don't start you will never see these, and consequently you'll never get there.

So don't worry about where the end of the road is, celebrate the losses as you go and it will go by in a flash. Concentrate on what you need to do right now. The result will be the reward.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    It goes by faster than you think
  • Brittshae
    Options
    Sometimes, our goals are set too high. I am learning that now!! I have learned to celebrate the small victories and when I reach my ultimate goal, I can say, "It was worth the wait!"
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Just think about how if you don't stick with this that total weight you want to lose will probably be a total gain + in a year. So you can plan to buy skinny jeans in a year or get a few more pairs of fat jeans.