Help with YOUR Shin Splints.

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    One thing that I would change about your suggestions is in the stretching category, focus on your entire lower body, not just the calves. I had shin splints that I dealt with for years. Ultimately it turned out the my lack of flexibility in my Hamstrings was the culprit. Focusing on stretching them, my hips and of course my calves to improve flexibility proved to be the key.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    One thing that I would change about your suggestions is in the stretching category, focus on your entire lower body, not just the calves. I had shin splints that I dealt with for years. Ultimately it turned out the my lack of flexibility in my Hamstrings was the culprit. Focusing on stretching them, my hips and of course my calves to improve flexibility proved to be the key.

Excellent point!!! I'm no longer able to edit the original post to include a few other great tips that have been recommended. I may revise the entire article and start a whole new thread.

Thanks for the tip!
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Great thread, as a complete novice runner I now feel I understand shin splints more and hopefully can ease the niggle I have before it becomes a real problem.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Great post. I searched "shin splints" and got this. My problem is shin splints while walking not running - but I've always walked heavy. No matter what I do I can't seem to change that.:frown:
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Thanks so much for posting this!
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Bump:)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    I'm not a runner, but was getting shin splits from fast walking. Thanks for the information.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    You say to take Ibuprofen after a run. Would it be beneficial to take it before a run?

Taking Ibuprofen before a run can be quite hard on your stomach. The head of our running group, also a physician, discourages taking it before running.

ETA- also studies have shown it isn't effective and there are other possible side effects.

Here is an article on it
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/515434-taking-advil-before-running/
  • this is awesome advice!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    thanks for this!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    ok finally got around to time to read alot of things from my mfp friends I had been meaning to get too.
    I am not running right now but use to run on my highschool cross country team (way too long ago) and also
    just for my own pleasure about 14 miles a day down a river road by my house which nicely happened to be 7 miles
    in length each way. I did have this issue so many times and ran through it thinking I needed to tough it out, never
    realizing I most likely did more damage, I was young. I hope once my weight comes down I would love to get back
    into running but never knew any of the things you wrote about back then. I will definitely apply this once I start come spring.
    Thanks for the info.
  • Bump. Great info J.R. Thanks.
  • Wallaby2
    Wallaby2 Posts: 132 Member
    Hi. I'm new to running/jogging and have just completed two weeks of a C25K program. A couple of days ago (my rest day) I made the mistake of having a burst of running, while trying to adjust my style a bit on a concrete surface. I've slightly injured the inside of my left shin (between angle & half way up shin). Thanks for the tips, they should come in handy & I hope to continue with the program without injury. :)
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,179 Member
    Glad to have found this post. I started having really sore muscles along the front anterior side of my tibia and am wondering if I could have developed shin splints from doing jumping jacks indoors in walking shoes (hadn't gotten running shoes yet). I'll probably give it another week before getting x-rays for hairlines, but this sucks in the meantime.
  • alikat789
    alikat789 Posts: 105 Member
    Glad to have found this post. I started having really sore muscles along the front anterior side of my tibia and am wondering if I could have developed shin splints from doing jumping jacks indoors in walking shoes (hadn't gotten running shoes yet). I'll probably give it another week before getting x-rays for hairlines, but this sucks in the meantime.

Jumping jacks are killer for shin splints. When i first started Zumba, (i didn't have the shin splints pain at the time) we had a lot of jumping jacks during a couple of songs and i did did the full blown jumping jacks. and suffered from shin splints for the next couple weeks.
    So i do modified jumping jacks (one leg at a time). In time you can try to do jumping jacks again but not until you have the muscle built up in the legs.
    Now i can do jumping jack without modifications but i don't overdo it and listen to my legs to determine if i need to modify the jumping jack or not.

Proper running shoes make a difference. Another option is to get a form fitted insole. I had a shoe store in town fit my fallen arch with an insole that costs $20.00 and i wear them daily in my dress shoes, if i don't i feel the stress on my calves. I even took to wearing the insoles at home in my slippers while i was suffering from the shin splints.

Take it easy with shin splints and only increase any exercise by 10% per week.
    I suggest to see a physical therapist to help deal with shin splints. Personally I found acupuncture helped my calves to relax.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

I had shin splints when I first started running, but it has gone away. I recently started jumping rope and am suffering from them again, so I am guessing that jumping jacks would be the same type of activity. I actually found it worse skipping with my running shoes on, but now I am getting used to it. I did take my shoes off but that damn rope hurts when it hits your toes.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    bump
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Great info! I'm a new runner and started having an awful pain in my left leg. Sounds like shin splints are the culprit! I'm definitely going to take these tips and try them out. Thanks again! :)
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Sweet, gonna have to keep this topic as a favorite. I've always wanted to take up running but my shins kill me everytime. Thanks for the info!!!!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    bump