Help with YOUR Shin Splints.

Options

Replies

• wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    This thread defo deserves a bump!!

I'm starting week 4 of the C25K programme...I'm a big guy and haven't 'run' since I was a kid. first couple of runs shin splints were really bad. I run on tarmac or on the treadmill, so both are hard surfaces. I bought some cheap running shoes (or so they were marketed as :S) and the splints were just horrendous...a runner friend of mine told me off for being so tight and I managed to get a really good pair for half price...the difference it has made is unbelievable.

Instead of feeling every jolt going up my legs and hurting my knees too, the new shoes have made everything more bouncy and cushioned...took a while to get used to them, but so much better. Only time I get splints now it when I move up weeks and increase the lengh of time I'm running. I guess this is normal as it takes a couple of runs for the muscles to build up to the new intensity...but they are no where near as bad.

I've found, if you look around, you can pick up a really good pair of running shoes for about £30 here in the UK. If your in no rush, keep an eye on the various sports shop websites as they do have pairs in there 24 hour sales at great bargains :)
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    some great advice here and look forward to putting it to use. i have the problem with my calves hurting more than shin splints when walking and have both when i have tried to add some jogging segments to my walking...hopefully some of the suggestions here will help tremendously.
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The exercise I do that seems is to help is to stand on a stair with just your toes on the stair and stretch your calf muscle by pushing your heels down then also stand on tip toes. I alternate between the two to get everything nicely stretched after my run. Seems to really help!
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner right now but I got them from doing Insanity. Thanks for the info. You told me A LOT more about them than my own doctor did.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump. lot's of great info here. Thank you!
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ... great info
  • AriannaInIdaho
    Options
    bump
  • tcanning_17
    Options
    bump
  • hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • danielle257
    Options
    bump
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I had this issue...and took a three week break to strengthen my legs with other activities.
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - I've been running for years, and just developed shin splints for the first time (it was definitely overtraining).
  • dadeys1
    dadeys1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great info. Thanks!! I put these into practice.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I hope to finally conquer the shin spints and enjoy running.
  • quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    AWESOME THANK YOU!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    You say to take Ibuprofen after a run. Would it be beneficial to take it before a run?
    inquiry minds want to know :smile:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Was just directed to this link & I am so glad b/c I am having my first issue with shin splints on both legs....Thanks for the advice on the stretching...I am taking a few days off & going to use these exercises to help heal & strengthen my shins.... :)