End of an Era: Au Revoir Lane Bryant and Department Store Pl

Options
michelec64
michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
End of an Era: Au Revoir Lane Bryant and Department Store Plus Size Section

Even though I've known for a few weeks that this day was coming, I'm still in a state of shock.

I went to the mall today to get fitted for my new glasses and decided to get a jump on Fall wardrobe shopping while I was there. As has been my usual routine since forever, my first stop was Lane Bryant. I had a feeling that this may be my last trip there because the summer tops and pants I bought there in June were size 14/16 (the smallest size LB carries), and just a couple of months later they are quite baggy. I grabbed 2 pairs of the same pants in sizes 16 and 14, respectively. The size 16 I could slip on and off without even unfastening them. The size 14 I did have to unfasten to get into, but they immediately slid down to my hips because there wasn't enough left on my waist to keep the pants up. The next 2 minutes I spent in the dressing room muttering "Omigod, Omigod" over and over like a crazy person because it dawned on me what this meant: I am now officially too small for Lane Bryant, my go to store since the late '80s.

That also made me come to the realization that if I was too small for Lane Bryant, I was probably too small for the Women's Plus Size section of the department store as well. My next stop in the mall was Macy's. Even though I was a little scared, I took a deep breath and made my way over to the Misses' Size section. After taking a couple of dozen pants and tops back and forth to the fitting room I can report that I am a solid Misses' Size 14. I went a little crazy and bought 5 pairs of pants and 7 tops, but I deserve it because I have been working really hard to get to this point.

Now that I'm a Misses it's like a whole new world has opened up for me. I can go into any store I want, knowing that I can find any outfit and be able to fit it with no problem. This is huge because I haven't been in Misses' sizes since I was a college student 25 years ago. For a long time I had resigned myself to the prospect of being a Plus Size woman for the rest of my life, but now I know it doesn't have to be this way. This has made me even more determined to stay on track so I can reach my goal. Who knows maybe now I can be ambitious and shoot for a size 12, or even a 10. It's an end of one era, and the start of a much more confident and healthier one.

Replies

• Lsqueezy
    Lsqueezy Posts: 128
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    so awesome!!! I look forward to saying goodbye to Lane Bryant!!
  • bbjnkidz
    bbjnkidz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Way to go! :bigsmile:
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    That is so awesome and such an inspiration! I can't for the day I'm too small for Lane Bryant and the Plus Size sections of other stores.

Congrats on such an amazing victory!!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    wooo-hooo!
    way to go girl!! :D
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    That is SO exciting!!! CONGRATS!!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I can so relate. It was one of the best days of my life when I realized I couldn't fit in plus sizes anymore. Although, it took me months to stop myself from automatically gravitating to that section. I just went shopping yesterday at JC Penneys and picked up two pair of levis for $10 a piece. One was a misses size 6 and the other was a juniors size 9. Holy crap, how did that happen! Only 8 1/2 months ago I was pouring myself into a plus sized 24 and when I started this crazy ride I never in my wildest dreams imagined that i'd be fitting into single digits, ever. lol

you should be so proud of yourself and your accomplishments and know that you never have to buy that overpriced crap in LB ever again.
  • PaulaAnn143
    Options
    This was really hard for me. Harder then I ever thought. Shopping in a plus size store or section was a small selection. When I was able to shop the whole store it was over whelming and stressful. I went from a size 30w to a 8, and the last time I went I was fitting a 6, and recently pick up an Ann Taylor suit second hand in a size frickin 4! I love shopping now, but it was a tough transtion for me.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That's so wonderful!

The FIRST time I lost weight I was a regular at my local Lane Bryant. One afternoon I went in to get a few things, knowing the same - that the last time I bought anything it was kinda baggy. I tried on a jean skirt in a 14 and it just slipped right off. I asked the associate if there was any chance there might be a smaller cut skirt - LB was my security blanket for clothing!

She told me no, that was the smallest skirt they had - and to get out of the store.. she never wanted to see me again! She said it with the biggest smile on her face and then congratulated me... It was one of the funniest things anyone has ever said to me.
  • tigerlilly9577
    Options
    congratulations!! I look forward to my turn!! Thanks for posting this and reminding us all that it can be done :)
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    fantastic!
  • MoffettLauren
    Options
    I love this! Congrats! :)
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    First off, Congratulations!!! I look forward to the day where I can say that. Me and my bestie were just talking about that and what a dream it will be to shop ANYWHERE and not have to worry if they have plus size's. Thank you for posting and again congratulations.
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    First off, Congratulations!!! I look forward to the day where I can say that. Me and my bestie were just talking about that and what a dream it will be to shop ANYWHERE and not have to worry if they have plus size's. Thank you for posting and again congratulations.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    That is SO awesome! I know you must be so excited and you should be super proud!! Glad you got to splurge on yourself too, because you deserve it!!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for all the kind and supportive comments, it means so much.
  • love897
    love897 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I can't wait for that to happen!
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    congratulations! i'm so looking forward to the day i saw good bye to plus sizes.
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    This is one of my inspirations and motivations for going on my first and last diet. I haven't seen smaller than size 16 since 1995 and have been in size 20 or 22 for 10 years. Congratulations on your accomplishment! You've come a long way, baby!
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    LOVE these stories...it's one of my dreams to fit into "regular" sizing. I was big as a kid...."Pretty Plus" or wore boys "husky" jeans..... ingrained in my brain 30+ years later. Enjoy your shopping freedom!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!