Don't get "shape up toning"shoes:my story

Options
So I thought they look cute in a spice girl kinda way. I had some of the original skechers shape ups and they were okay, no issues.
I then got the running ones and the kinetex response ones (the ones kim kardashian wore in the ad). I wore the kinetex response ones 3 days a week, on a daily basis I didn't walk much as my job was entering data ect.
I was doing c25k with the running shoes, but I only got to run maybe 2 times a week. After about a month and half of this type of use I noticed my feet were swollen around the arches and my heels hurt really bad, especially in the morning.
I soaked my feet nightly in epson salt warm water because they hurt so bad and I didn't walk anymore than I had to.
Then I went to the doctor as soon as I could. (I stopped wearing the shoes after I noticed the pain and swelling, it was very sudden, it wasn't gradual).
He said he'd seen people come in with foot issues because of the shoes, he gave me medicine for the pain and swelling and suggested insoles with good heel/arch support. So I did that and goes some new shoes, some reebox rezigs. I tried on just about every sports shoe withing a 50mile radius until I found these, they were really comfortable with great support and stability. My legs had started to feel off, I forgot to mention, before I felt the food pain my legs felt bowed in and my knees popped a lot.
I also had x-rays to rule out any broken bones, heel spurs ect. They came back okay. I went back to the doctor because two weeks passed and the pain was the same. He recommended another medication, and said foot injuries often take awhile to heel, but to come back if it worsened and he would rec a podatrist.
So I left for the summer and bought another pair of shoes, nike ones, not sure the name of them. After a few more weeks the pain wasn't as bad and I was able to go to the gym again and do low impact cardio. I wrapped my arches for extra support with sports wrap and used an organic balm for pain when I had it. I also rolled a frozen water bottle under my feet after most work outs. Still do sometimes.
It's been nearly 5 months since then. I still have some foot pain, mostly if I just walk a lot. I noticed it got a lot better when I started doing pilates/piloxing. I think I'm at the point where my foot is strenghtening. My arches still look alittle puffy, I think they are particially collapsed but I don't think there is anything I can do about that. I just wear good insoles now.
I just thought I'd share my store if anyone was thinking about buying skechers shape ups, toning shoes or anything.
Skechers also blocked me from their fb for telling people their shoes caused me injury. They don't want people to know

Replies

• elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Yep, they suck! I only wore them a couple of times and had similar issues (although luckily not as bad).
  • Wanda66
    Wanda66 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I was wondering how those shoes would perform... With my luck, I would have twisted an ankle - they're pretty high (I think).
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I do a lot of walking and was entertaining the idea of getting a pair. Definitely won't be doing that now
  • change_happens
    Options
    So I thought they look cute in a spice girl kinda way. I had some of the original skechers shape ups and they were okay, no issues.
    I then got the running ones and the kinetex response ones (the ones kim kardashian wore in the ad). I wore the kinetex response ones 3 days a week, on a daily basis I didn't walk much as my job was entering data ect.
    I was doing c25k with the running shoes, but I only got to run maybe 2 times a week. After about a month and half of this type of use I noticed my feet were swollen around the arches and my heels hurt really bad, especially in the morning.
    I soaked my feet nightly in epson salt warm water because they hurt so bad and I didn't walk anymore than I had to.
    Then I went to the doctor as soon as I could. (I stopped wearing the shoes after I noticed the pain and swelling, it was very sudden, it wasn't gradual).
    He said he'd seen people come in with foot issues because of the shoes, he gave me medicine for the pain and swelling and suggested insoles with good heel/arch support. So I did that and goes some new shoes, some reebox rezigs. I tried on just about every sports shoe withing a 50mile radius until I found these, they were really comfortable with great support and stability. My legs had started to feel off, I forgot to mention, before I felt the food pain my legs felt bowed in and my knees popped a lot.
    I also had x-rays to rule out any broken bones, heel spurs ect. They came back okay. I went back to the doctor because two weeks passed and the pain was the same. He recommended another medication, and said foot injuries often take awhile to heel, but to come back if it worsened and he would rec a podatrist.
    So I left for the summer and bought another pair of shoes, nike ones, not sure the name of them. After a few more weeks the pain wasn't as bad and I was able to go to the gym again and do low impact cardio. I wrapped my arches for extra support with sports wrap and used an organic balm for pain when I had it. I also rolled a frozen water bottle under my feet after most work outs. Still do sometimes.
    It's been nearly 5 months since then. I still have some foot pain, mostly if I just walk a lot. I noticed it got a lot better when I started doing pilates/piloxing. I think I'm at the point where my foot is strenghtening. My arches still look alittle puffy, I think they are particially collapsed but I don't think there is anything I can do about that. I just wear good insoles now.
    I just thought I'd share my store if anyone was thinking about buying skechers shape ups, toning shoes or anything.
    Skechers also blocked me from their fb for telling people their shoes caused me injury. They don't want people to know

interesting.... thanks for sharing.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    I've talked with several personal trainers and ALL of them say STAY AWAY from ANY of the Shape Up type shoes. I've posted this before ...I don't know why you should stay away, except they are bad for you and you've just confirmed what I've been told. I just tried on shoe after shoe after shoe until I found one with the right amount of support, cushion, comfort and fit.

I still drag my right leg alot, which is why I can walk faster than 2.0 on the treadmill and good shoes give me more time before my hip starts hurting.

I hope you're feeling better soon. What a nightmare.
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    I read an article in Consumer Reports that report these kind of shoes cause injuries!!!!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I don't have sketchers. I got champions & after I did my friend saw an article online that said there's a class action lawsuit about the foot & joint injuries from the shoes. Maybe you should check it out.
    Yes I tell people too - tho I wasn't injured they did make my hips hurt in a weird way so I stopped before it got worse. We definitely have to get the word out because the shoe companies are keeping this secret and people are getting injured. I've heard some ppl wind up with knee or hip replacements! ow
    I agree with you - give me reeboks or nike - free spirit is fine for me
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. I had a lot of problems with my ankles rolling. The shape ups do have a strange kind of support system but they must fit my dancer's feet (super high arches) because they have been helping my leg and foot pain issue.

I"m going to pay close attention though now that I've read this so thanks! I don't want to do any more damage to my feet than 10+ years of ballet already did!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oh i'm so sorry for your pain and suffering.
    I thought the tone ups looked cute but I didnt want to spend that amount of money so I bought the cheaper version made my Danskin.. I love my shoes and Ive been wearing them for about 6 months. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Honey1990
    Options
    I have had no problems at all with the original shape ups, i had an ankle injury where i tore 3 ligaments a couple of years ago and the shape ups have actually helped me with making it stronger.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your painful story! I had considered buying these, but good to hear another side of the shape-up tale. Hope you are well soon!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I wear my shape ups most days. At first, my ankles hurt, but as they got used to the weird balancing act, they felt better. I have chronic back,hip, knee and ankle pain, and I havediscovered that if I wear the shape ups, my hips and back don't hurt! I had no idea they would do that. It I go a couple of days in othershoes, my hips and back start hurting again. I think that different people just need different shoes. I know some people do havetrouble with shape ups, but I just bought my second pair. I hope your pain is gone soon.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Not that I'd ever buy a pair, but my aunt has offered to buy me some, before. I run barefoot, and I almost never have foot pain anymore, even after work shifts where I'm running around all day or when I wear my sandals around all day, which both used to make my feet hurt to the point where I could barely walk. I'd like to get some Vibram Five Fingers for outdoor "barefoot" running, but they're damned expensive.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    Not that I'd ever buy a pair, but my aunt has offered to buy me some, before. I run barefoot, and I almost never have foot pain anymore, even after work shifts where I'm running around all day or when I wear my sandals around all day, which both used to make my feet hurt to the point where I could barely walk. I'd like to get some Vibram Five Fingers for outdoor "barefoot" running, but they're damned expensive.

Vibrams are totally worth the money though. I wear mine daily... for everything from working out and hiking to just banging around the grocery store.... They are fantastically amazingly awesome. I have been wearing this one pair for over a year with little wear, so they are worth the dough....
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have a pair for work and have never had any foot pain associated with them. Although, since mine are made by Shoes for Crews, the curvature of the sole is much less than what you see on Sketchers, also the arch support is fantastic. I have found that after a year in them I started to have shin pain, kind of similar to shin splints, but not enough in the ways that count to actually call it that. I have a pair of spare shoes that I use at least once a week to keep my shins from hurting too much.
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've got sketchers tone ups (not the ones with the missing heal the ones with the two pods on the bottom) I've had them a few months and am finding they make me twist my knees out to the side and I'm getting pain in them. So your not alone plus as they are my only shoes I'm going through the fun process of looking for more trainers
  • HazelAngelstar
    Options
    I have often wondered if these type of shoes would be of benefit since I cannot do a lot of physical exercise ... and the short distance I can walk would make more of a difference ... so thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Will give me plenty to consider if I ever do decide to go for a pair. xxx
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Vibrams are totally worth the money though. I wear mine daily... for everything from working out and hiking to just banging around the grocery store.... They are fantastically amazingly awesome. I have been wearing this one pair for over a year with little wear, so they are worth the dough....

Good to know. I prefer sandals during the summer, but, living in Seattle, summer is short, so something for the rest of the year would be nice. Maybe I'll talk my brother into buying me a pair for my birthday. >_>
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I used a different pair last summer and while I didn't have pain like yours I did end up freakishly breaking my foot while playing with my son. I fully believe they weakened my foot allowing me to break it. I'll never buy another kind of shoe like this again.
  • jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    Options
    i'm an EMT/ security gaurd at a retirement community( ie mucho walking ) and my job has actually banned them due to multiple injuries on the job including torn ankle ligaments two falls down stairs and a mva.