Don't get "shape up toning"shoes:my story

Options
2»

Replies

• jackymenhennet
    jackymenhennet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have any of you considered bare foot walking and running?? There are even shoes for this called 5 fingers - my husband started this some time ago (he's a runner of marathons) and decided it's the best thing he's ever done. Now I am starting the training for running barefoot - at the moment it's 4 minutes walking and 1 minute running for 30 minutes) on a treadmill and though it takes some getting used to, it feels super. Back to nature ....... !! :wink:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Please don't buy these for running they are completely unsuitable.

Go to a reputable store and have your gait assessed and get something like Nike or Asics which are actually made for running.
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well I had no intentions of buying them due to the fact that they look ridiculous, but now I know that they can also cause injury...I am glad I am sticking to my first decision. Hope your feet feel better soon.
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    just playing the devil's advocate here....but I think the point of the shoes is to make you actually work to keep your feet/ankles/legs in alignment. That is why they supposedly work your muscles more than regular shoes that provide the support for you. If you stand in the shape-ups with "weak" legs you will roll inward. You have to consciously keep your legs and ankles balanced in the right way. They are not magic shoes ... like those tummy trimmers are not going to magically trim your waist. But if you wear them for a walk and keep your feet/ankles/legs in proper alignment by using your muscles they can be fine. They are not meant for running or side-to-side action (like chasing a child around a yard). They also recommend only wearing them for short periods of time at first so that you get used to them.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bought reebok Runtones... but I seldom actually run in them. Running hurts my knees (and did LONG before I got the shoes) When I first started this exercise thing, I thought at first I'd start c25k but didn't like it, my knees still hurt all day, leaving me barely able to get up the stairs for bed at night, and found turbo jam, which I do like so I'm doing that now. But, since I'm pretty much broke, I'm stlll wearing the runtones.

Anyone know about problems w/ these shoes specifically? Other than working out, I don't wear them often. Sometimes I put them on when I'm cleaning, or running around because my DD's dog peed in my other tennis shoes so I haven't bought any other shoes. Other than these, I'm usually barefoot, or in flip flops sandals or cute heels or platforms. But, I haven't had any problems yet that I'm aware of, and my knees actually hurt less, but I don't know if that's the shoes or the work outs
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What you are experiencing is called plantar fasciitis. I went through the very same thing with my Shape-ups. I tried a few remedies and found that by placing the arch of my foot on a bottle and rolling it back and forth was the best relief.
    Hope this is helpful!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have been doing that too it really goes help. I also got insoles for planter faciitis and put them in my shoes. They take a lot of pressure off my heels
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I had far from weak legs when I started wearing them. Also, I did not wear the original shape ups for running. I wore the resistance runners which are marketed just for running. The kinextic response shoes were marketed for gym use which does include side-to-side actions.
    My doctor said my heels hurt likely due to the heel strike the shoes to have, and running probably just put more pressure there I am assuming.
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have any of you considered bare foot walking and running?? There are even shoes for this called 5 fingers - my husband started this some time ago (he's a runner of marathons) and decided it's the best thing he's ever done. Now I am starting the training for running barefoot - at the moment it's 4 minutes walking and 1 minute running for 30 minutes) on a treadmill and though it takes some getting used to, it feels super. Back to nature ....... !! :wink:

Unfortunately, people get hurt in these too, b/c they get all excited and do too much too soon--volunteered at a running event w/a guy w/a fractured 2nd metatarsal b/c he bought a pair, ran 3 times in them and then went out for a 12-mile training run, had pain at 10 miles and found out when he went to the doctor that he had broken his foot. Now, he is an experienced runner, 22 marathons to his credit, claims he "talked to EVERYONE about these and was told to ease into it and that's what I did and I just don't understand WHY I got hurt..." Wanted to slap him and say dude, the info is easily available on the internet, try the Runner's World barefoot forum, but he is pretty convinced it is the shoes, not the fact that he moved ahead FAR, FAR too fast and did not take time to adjust.

As far as these stupid "shape up shoes", I can't believe people even TRIED to run in those things! WTF! Your foot needs to bend and move as you run, no way these would allow that. Are they even SOLD as running shoes? I don't believe I have ever heard of this before....

If you want to run, go to a running store and get a decent pair of RUNNING shoes--also get some advice from the folks at the store. They are almost always very friendly and knowledgeable. Better to pay for the right shoes for you than to pay the doctor when you get injured.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, people get hurt in these too, b/c they get all excited and do too much too soon--volunteered at a running event w/a guy w/a fractured 2nd metatarsal b/c he bought a pair, ran 3 times in them and then went out for a 12-mile training run, had pain at 10 miles and found out when he went to the doctor that he had broken his foot. Now, he is an experienced runner, 22 marathons to his credit, claims he "talked to EVERYONE about these and was told to ease into it and that's what I did and I just don't understand WHY I got hurt..." Wanted to slap him and say dude, the info is easily available on the internet, try the Runner's World barefoot forum, but he is pretty convinced it is the shoes, not the fact that he moved ahead FAR, FAR too fast and did not take time to adjust.

As far as these stupid "shape up shoes", I can't believe people even TRIED to run in those things! WTF! Your foot needs to bend and move as you run, no way these would allow that. Are they even SOLD as running shoes? I don't believe I have ever heard of this before....

If you want to run, go to a running store and get a decent pair of RUNNING shoes--also get some advice from the folks at the store. They are almost always very friendly and knowledgeable. Better to pay for the right shoes for you than to pay the doctor when you get injured.

I eased in to barefoot running as I was easing into exercise. It took about a month for my feet to adjust. I don't even know how you COULD jump right into it like that.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I've concerned that running will never be my sport.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I posted befre how much I like my step ups. That as true for my first pair (the black & white ones), but my new pair aren't so kind to my feet. For some reason, I walk differently in them and can't wear them every day. I'm not sure why.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP! I have knee surgery in January and someone recommended the Sketchers to me also. It didn't take me long to figure out that they caused my knee more pain when I wore them than regular shoes. So now I have a very expensive pair of shape-ups in my closet that I guess I'll throw away. I don't want to give them to anyone.... even Goodwill..... in case they would cause others the same problems.
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a pair of the original Shape-ups. Haven't worn them enough yet to make a decision, but I will be VERY cautious and aware of how I'm stepping in them. I had a pair of the Reebok Easytones, which I loved. Only problem with them was no real tread on the bottom (icy parking lot at work and Easytones=multiple falls). Hopefully I can tell right off the bat with the Shape-ups.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I just recently bought a pair of the original Shape-ups. Haven't worn them enough yet to make a decision, but I will be VERY cautious and aware of how I'm stepping in them. I had a pair of the Reebok Easytones, which I loved. Only problem with them was no real tread on the bottom (icy parking lot at work and Easytones=multiple falls). Hopefully I can tell right off the bat with the Shape-ups.

Why would you even consider wearing them after reading my story or others? It's like deciding to smoke crack after you had a friend that was a crack addict. I was careful and aware of how I was walking in them.