Do you weigh in with your shoes on or off? Opinions needed!

Options
Ok, so today I jumped on the scale at the gym, and I was really pleased with what I saw, but then I realized I was wearing my shoes, and have been since I started here on MFP.

Now I've had two bouts of Weight Watchers over the years, and weigh-ins consisted of stripping off everything you possibly could to make that scale go down, (lol!), especially shoes!

And that got me thinking. Perhaps I should be weighing myself with my shoes off. Maybe they are only a pound or so, but that could change the way my calories get allotted and how my calorie burn rate is calculated. And as we all like to say here in MFP-land, a pound is not something to ignore!

So, 1) do you weigh in with shoes on or off? and 2) should I put what I weighed in today as my weight, or should I wait until tomorrow, and weigh myself with my shoes off and use that number, and weigh in that way from here on in?

Replies

• SadieLuvzWolvez
    Options
    1: i weigh with shoes off 2: i think mayb u should wait until tommorrow and see wat happens with shoes off bc sometimes i weigh my self after a shower and i might lose a pound or so bc i weigh myself sometimes b4 and after a shower to see how that affects the scale, alot of things do so mayb u should wait bc i know sometimes when i strip down i gain i dont know y but mayb shoes r more effective so u should wait and c wat happens
  • niks66
    niks66 Posts: 7
    Options
    It doesn't matter how you weigh as long as you do it the same everytime. So I would wait a day and weigh like you usually do. :)
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    Do you have a scale at home? Why not just weigh yourself every morning? You will get a more consistent, accurate reading that way IMHO. My daily weigh-in is always the same, visit the restroom 1st, then step on scale, start my day. :smile:
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I weigh at home in my bathroom, either in bra and panties or butt naked... I have even taken off my clothes to weigh and then put them back on.

so that would be shoes OFF for me
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    yep what the other poster said about it doesn't matter as long as that's how you weigh in every time! Be consistent. And, you have to think about it, the shoes do weigh something. So if you want your weight with no added ounces/lbs, it would make sense to weigh with them off.
  • bexp2
    bexp2 Posts: 41
    Options
    Totally naked!
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: My first thought was weigh naked, but then I read the post (not just the topic). Probably not ideal location for naked weight.

I say weigh tomorrow without shoes and use that, or do both and use it as a reference rather like a before and after moment.
  • divadoll41
    divadoll41 Posts: 188
    Options
    shoes off!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I weigh at home in my bathroom, either in bra and panties or butt naked... I have even taken off my clothes to weigh and then put them back on.

so that would be shoes OFF for me

lol! definitely shoes off. I believe that's going to be a new phrase around our house!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I weigh at home.... naked.... in the dark & I exhale, just in case. What?!?!? I might have big lungs LOL I agree with other posters that it's best to be consistent. If you're going shoes on, then it's always shoes on. I prefer shoes off though
  • Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As long as it is the same pair of shoes, it should not matter as long as you are consistent. I weigh at home with no shoes.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    nekked lol
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    off. i try and weigh naked, or nearly naked, otherwise youre not getting your actual weight
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, Friday mornings... I get out of bed, go pee, then weigh in just my t-shirt and panties.

not that how I weigh has ANY relevance here... but everyone else shared and I jumped on board...

the answer is... no matter how you weigh, always weigh the same way, same time of day, same day of the week... you get the idea.
  • ahavoc
    Options
    I don't have a scale at home on purpose. I'd obsess and be on it constantly, checking, "oh, I'm up a 1/2 lb, I'm down 1/2 lb!" and "is it water? Have I gained" yadda d yadda d yadda d. So, weigh in at gym, and try to only do it once a week.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i weight first thing in the morning at home with basically just my sports bra and sleep shorts on, i have a dial scale, which must be pretty accurate, because after waking up eating breakfast and being clothed for the gym, i weighed there to see the difference and it was up 4 pounds.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I weigh w/ shoes off but it's more important to be consistent with which scale, time of day, and shoes off/on.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Since I own more than one pair of shoes, I always take them off. Besides the obvious added weight, I don't think your feet are always placed firmly on the scales- which can affect the reading.
    I've even noticed that I need to place my scale in the same spot, since our floor is uneven- and that affects it too.

So, if you're looking for the most accurate reading, I will echo what seems to be the general consensus:

Weigh yourself in the AM, after your AM bathroom visit, w/ little or no clothing to give you the best picture. Weighing after you've eaten ( unless you eat the same exact things every day) is weighing the food inside too....
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Off...I need all the help I can get being on the scale.
  • ahavoc
    Options
    First of all I have to say that there's a lot of naked people in this thread! But, thanks for your comments. I wake up, take some medication I have to take in the morning, and I'm not allowed to eat for an hour. So I go to the gym and work out, weigh myself once a week, come home and shower and do the rest of my day.

So tomorrow, I'm weighing in with shoes on and off, and I'll continue to do it with them off from here on in.