Replies

• mentalbeat
    mentalbeat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes!:smile:
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I haven't invested in any of the wii fitness games, I only have a few games which include the wiisports that came with the game system. I can play tennis, baseball, bowling, boxing, and golf. I know whenever I play the games, I'm sweating and feeling the burn especially the boxing. However, I haven't placed it in my fitness program for long since I'm only on day 6 but I feel it will only help not hurt. If you have the money to invest and truly feel you will use it, I would say to get one... but make sure you're ready to use it otherwise you'll look at it collecting dust wondering why you invested in one.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Wii is good, but the XBOX with Kinnect is far superior in accuracy and fitness offerings. (it is more money though)
  • merryfaith
    merryfaith Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my wii fit plus. I like the games that came with it and that it allows you to weigh in and keep progress with the wii fit age tests. I also have gold gym's boxing and that's fun too. I want to get the gold gym cardio and the EA games and it looks like mel b is coming out with a fitness game very soon too (her totally fit is my favorite workout video). the only downside is since I don't live alone and we all use the tv it's hooked up to (since we have the wii not just for the fit, which only I use, but for regular gaming too), I can only use it when everyone else isn't watching tv, which is unfortunately kind of rare, especially with my work schedule lately. but it is fun and well worth it.
  • MarynEve
    MarynEve Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use mine every day as part of my workout. I feel so self conscious going out to a gym or running outside, so I prefer to work out in my own home. I have Just Dance 2 which is an awesome workout if you get really into the moves and I have Wii Fit and the sports game. All of them are great and very much worth the price tag.
  • christalouigi
    Options
    I love the Wii. I am looking forward to getting some new fitness games, like the one by Jillian Michaels. I say Go For It! It would be something fun to change things up!
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    I love my Wii even though I don't get to use it much seeing as I have a younger brother who loves to play games, but when I get to use it I love it
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but I've used one - just once. I was competing with a 7 year old in Wii Bowling. :tongue: She won & I hurt my shoulder! :mad: (was trying to copy her movements & hurt myself!:blushing: )

I think if I were ever to get one, I would have to be very careful as to which movements I did.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I've recently started back doing Wii Active. I like doing the sports too cause I *really* get into it. Some people just flick their wrist, but if you really get into it, it's a great workout! Just ask my HRM. LOL
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I like the Kinect too, but need more space than with the Wii for it to accurately pick me up.
    Wii is good, but the XBOX with Kinnect is far superior in accuracy and fitness offerings. (it is more money though)
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I always just run in place or keep dancing, to keep my hr up in between. Zumba definitely has less time in between, and that was one reason I liked it. I could do 45 50 min without much in between times. But definitely I can relate.

Also, my husband runs a video game store, you can always trade games in and buy used games. As you achieve what you want, or decide you don't like it. Thats certainly an advantage that I have, discounts, or freebies. But I don't know where I could trade in DvD's. I love my DVD's but I'm just kinda stuck with em if I decide I'm beyond it, or don't like it.
    I have one, but absolutely hate working out at home, so I use it as a last resort if I can't get to the gym. The Wii Fit board comes with yoga, strength, and cardio games/selections, but there's lots of down time in between activities - not really a good workout, per say. I have Zumba too - that really is fun, and it gets your heart rate up there. There is a disc you can get with a band that goes on your arm or leg that the wiimote sits in - I want to say ESA Active something or other - I've heard that's pretty good. Seems like a lot of money to me - I'd just buy good workout DVD's, unless you have kids, then it's worth a shot.
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    I love my wii! I always do Zumba and wii fit boxing. It's nice to have, especially in the winter when the weather is crappy and you don't wanna go out and drive to the gym for a workout. It's a nice change of pace.
  • nasdeo
    nasdeo Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a Wii and Wii fit plus.. I love them both.. the kids love the Wii Fit better then the regular games.. and its great for families to spend time together..

I love my wii and actually have considered by the Xbox but if I did it would be only for the kinnect.. lol
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The Wii is great but it's older technology. XBox Kinect is better, newer technology but I must admit that I haven't used it for fitness yet.

I have the kinect too, and really like it. But I don't use it for workouts - not seriously anyway. I use it to play with my daughter (we do the cardio boxing together) and just for fun. You can certainly work up a sweat using it. And it's enjoyable.
  • mrsmig
    mrsmig Posts: 4
    Options
    I asked my husband for a Wii Fit for Christmas last year, and have dropped nearly 30 pounds since using it.

I hate the gym but love video games, so I thought the Wii would be a "fit" for me, and it is! I use the Wii Fit game every day to weigh in and get my BMI, and I have a personalized 20-minute workout program that I devised which includes yoga, strength training, floor work and stretches. The boxing game is the best cardio workout; a lot of the other games are fun but don't really get you sweating. I also bought the "Walk It Out" game and used that faithfully for several months, but traded it in a while back for Wii Sports Resort, which has a swordfighting game that burns a decent amount of calories and is a LOT of fun. I'm currently doing the 30-day challenge on EA Sports Active and I have to say it kicks my butt! My only gripe with that game is that sometimes the controllers don't pick up your movements very well, and you have to fiddle with it a bit to get it just right.

Naturally I'm not just using the Wii to lose weight - I'm also counting my calories and being more mindful when I eat, so I'm slowing down and enjoying my food instead of just bolting it like I used to.

There are people who pooh-pooh the Wii but it's worked for me.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The kinect is a lot better than the wii - I have both. Wii is ok and cheaper but the workouts on the Kinect are way better because they aren't limited in their range of motion. Just make sure you read game reviews, not all of the kinect games are programmed well. There are version 2s of everthing coming out soon that will be way better but for now only 2 or 3 of the games are really good.

I would still recommend it over the wii though.