The ONE simple move you can do TODAY that will change your l

Options

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The best thing about getting rid of my TV is telling other people about getting rid of my TV.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    actually i spend more time on my computer not getting anything done then i do watching my tv.. i have been known to leave it off for weeks a time.... why do i still have it? occasionally i like to watch a movie... and when my husband is home he likes to watch tv

same here..except the husband bit :')
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I disagree. If I don't want to be tempted by chocloate cake, I don't buy it or make it or keep it in the house. For someone who watches a LOT of TV, having a TV in the house is like an alcoholic having a full bar in their kitchen and then saying "oh.I'll just have ONE". I think it's smart to eliminate the things you have around you that enable unhealthy living.

But for someone who just watches maybe an hour or 2 tops...it's called self-control. You're acting like its cocaine and that surely if we have one we'll be couch potatoes and socially inept.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Not happening. I'll just practice some self-discipline and make time to exercise. I enjoy my TV, my Playstation 3 and my computer. None of them are going anywhere.
    I AGREE with you i love my games :D in moderation of course lol
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My laptop takes more of my life than the TV does.

However, I must be doing something right to lose 81 pounds in 5 1/2 months by ONLY working out at my house in front of my TV watching the trashiest shows I can find. I also invested in a Wii with dancing games to do when my daughter goes to bed.

So, really, TV has helped me to lose this weight! I won't be tossing mine out anytime soon! :drinker:
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    I wish i could, but I know I'm addicted to it. I have given up watching the news, though. It was REALLY hard! Now I just watch mindless entertainment and since joining MFP, I've been spening more time on the floor or standing up watching the tv. It's sitting that's really bad for you!
  • killagb
    Options
    Most of the people here are here to lose weight and get fit.They are doing that because they have been fat and sedentary either most of their lives, or at some point. To say that ANY addiction (tv etc...) is not normal behaviour. Well OBVIOUS. Most of us here have problems with self control when it comes to eating??? I know I do. I am italian and french and LOVE to cook (and eat) very rich food. It's about moderation yes..but there are SOME things that ARE like heroin to me. Cheese cake would be one. I'm not going to go to counselling to 'deal with my abonormal behaviour" around cake..lol. No..I"ll just not have it in my house, and not order it in restaurants.

Oh..and two hours of tv a day seems excessive to me??

Mind you, I"m not American ;)

If a behavior is not detrimental to one's well being...it's not necessary to deprive one's self of it. Any TV watched certainly doesn't stop me from being productive and staying on track OR being social. Generalizations generally fall flat. To assume that everyone on here has been a couch potato with no self control...that's assuming quite a bit. Anyhow...I'll let you resume your previously scheduled feeling of righteousness.
  • killagb
    Options
    I have no feelings of righteousness at all. Stop being so sensitive. I'm simply pointing out that getting rid of TV frees up time to do other, possibly more productive things. Not rocket science, and NOT judging. I have stated SEVERAL times that I personally in the past have had issued with TV (and cheesecake). Getting rid of the TV did wonders not only for my body and state of mind, but also my social life and activities. I suspect it would do the same for most people. Why? Because the average person doesn't LIMIT their tv much..they watch more than 4 hours a DAY. So if this does nto apply to YOU, or you are one of the few who can have a tv..but not let it take up huge chunks of your time..the good for you. You are not the "average" american then.

By your deduction of the facts...all the time you've spent on this post would have been time better spent otherwise....I bet you'd agree, eh? :tongue:
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Most of us here have problems with self control when it comes to eating???

I don't have problems with self-control. MFP is more about knowledge and helping me make healthy choices by planning ahead. I can look at my food log for the day and say "Yeah, that piece of cheesecake is sitting there, but it doesn't fit in my food plan for the day so I'm not going to eat it today." Or "Yeah, I totally kicked butt in my kickboxing class and that piece of cheesecake DOES fit in my food plan for the day, so I'm going to enjoy it."
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The best thing about getting rid of my TV is telling other people about getting rid of my TV.

FTW!

And fwiw, I didn't have a television for years.. I may have been active, but I found other ways to not be healthy. Active lifestyles and healthy living are not mutually exclusive.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Might as well throw out your books too since you're physically inactive when you're reading them. And you know, all your various inactive hobbies. Knitting? Throw it out. Drawing? Toss it. Forget the intellectual and personal growth that comes from great educational or artistic televison programs. Forget the amazing storylines and enjoyment you get out of watching tv and playing video games and reading. Forget the fun you have when you play video games with your friends. Forget how happy drawing/knitting/painting/chess/card games/puzzles/board games makes you. And make sure to toss out your computer and internet because you're physically inactive when using those too! ;D Youll be so much thinner(happier because of course the only way to be happy is if you're thin) when everything you enjoy is gone and you are forced to do nothing but exercise because all your favorite things are gone. :P
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Might as well throw out your books too since you're physically inactive when you're reading them. And you know, all your various inactive hobbies. Knitting? Throw it out. Drawing? Toss it. Forget the intellectual and personal growth that comes from great educational or artistic televison programs. Forget the amazing storylines and enjoyment you get out of watching tv and playing video games and reading. Forget the fun you have when you play video games with your friends. Forget how happy drawing/knitting/painting/chess/card games/puzzles/board games makes you. And make sure to toss out your computer and internet because you're physically inactive when using those too! ;D Youll be so much thinner(happier because of course the only way to be happy is if you're thin) when everything you enjoy is gone and you are forced to do nothing but exercise because all your favorite things are gone. :P

Gosh...that's a bit harsh.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    As someone who has an MA in Film Production, I am against this idea. Just limit your TV watching... to only my films. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is, if I'm home during the day my TV is not on but i am reading a book... and the only time I turn it on is to watch my rented from the library Star Trek the Next Generation DVD's. At night time though, I tend to watch my programs and thats fine because it helps me fall asleep oddly enough.

I also get my exercise in, socialize and have other hobbies(I'm an online gamer too) and have lost 25 pounds.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.. do what works for you. If someone does something that you don't agree with, then agree to disagree and move on...
  • killagb
    Options
    Ok...I surrender!!! Jesus....I never said ALL people need to get rid of tv. I also never said ALL people here have food/control problems. i don't think it's a stretch to say that MOST of us do however. I simply said "this works for me, this can work for you too". Enough said! If you love your boob tube THAT much then by all means keep it. Peace out!

Don't you have some workout you could be doing rather than replying? Just sayin. :drinker:
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I never watch TV anyway. No, seriously, I don't, except while I'm using a cardio machine at the gym.

The internet is MUCH stronger a demon...