I cannot consume my daily calorie intake!!

Options
Hi there

Am new to MFP. Im a 34 years old male, 6' 2" (ish) and weigh about 15stone (210lbs). I have always been active playing sports etc. Along with my wife we are taking this callenge to get down to our ideal weights and so far its going well. My problem is that I want to get down to 13.7 stone (191 lbs) and my total calorie intake is 1450 a day. Problem is with the amount of daily exercise (approx 1767 calories) I physically cannot eat that amount as I find myself full. I eat normally - breakfast, lunch, dinner and also have snack such as low fat yoghurt, bananas, apples, etc.

Is anyone else in the same boat and has it affected them, ie no weight loss. I only eat when I'm hungry and have stopped eating chocolate and even cut back my alcohol intake.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Creating a really big calorie deficit works OK for some people but not for others. In general I don't think its a very good practice because it's not setting you up for long term maintaining.
    The first thing I would do is check your calorie counts for exercise - that's a pretty big number to burn in one day. But, if you're really active, I guess you could do it.
    If you just can't eat enough to fuel your body for that much exercise then you might need to rethink doing that much exercise every day.
    Or if that's not an option, then start planning your meals. Build in a few more calorie dense foods like olive oil, cheese, avocado, nuts etc.
  • nooge
    nooge Posts: 5
    Options
    Hmmm this sounds unusual.

If you could answer the below, it might help us understand why it's not working for you.

What sort of exercise are you doing? For how long and at what intensity?
    What body type do you have? e.g. where do you tend to carry your weight? Are you naturally quite strong? Do you find it easy to put weight on?
    Give an example of a typical days food. Include any drinks such as coffee etc into this.
    Do you take any supplements like protein shakes etc?
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You have a daily calorie burn of 1767? That's an awful lot. Do you teach spin classes or something? I am sorry but I struggle to sympathize with the posts that say they can't eat there calories back. For the most part people on here are trying to lose weight. Which inheritely means they struggle with over eating. It's not hard to eat your calories back. If you want to eat, eat. If you don't, don't. I presume it will be difficult to find many that share your stuggle. But there are some as this gets posted often.

Sorry I am frustrated right now and feeling very unsympathetic.
  • andrew384
    andrew384 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Daily exercise is walking my dog for 50 mins in the morning at a very brisk pace, cycling to and from work 25 mins to and 45 mins back (14-16 mph) and then walking dog in evening for 80 mins at a moderate pace around 2-3 mph. I am a large frame, carry weight on stomach and very large (imo) hips, but generally top half, naturally quite strong. I do find it easy to put weight on, but I have always found it very easy to lose it too as I have a high metabolism.

Typical diet

breakfast 45-60g Crunchy nut cornflakes with semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea/coffee

lunch wholemeal sandwhich, with ham filling usually and clover butter

dinner could be anything from a ham, cheese and egg salad to spaghetti bolognese
  • bronwynbrooks
    Options
    I've found that this site over estimates my calorie intake needed so i use this intune with my personal trainer who has given me a calorie amount to follow.

Some days I struggle to eat enough as i have a real problem with being over weight but not eating enough if that makes sense. Add in some more snacks, eat 4 hourly small meals.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Daily exercise is walking my dog for 50 mins in the morning at a very brisk pace, cycling to and from work 25 mins to and 45 mins back (14-16 mph) and then walking dog in evening for 80 mins at a moderate pace around 2-3 mph. I am a large frame, carry weight on stomach and very large (imo) hips, but generally top half, naturally quite strong. I do find it easy to put weight on, but I have always found it very easy to lose it too as I have a high metabolism.

Typical diet

breakfast 45-60g Crunchy nut cornflakes with semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea/coffee

lunch wholemeal sandwhich, with ham filling usually and clover butter

Are you factoring your BMR into you calories burned? What you describe doesn't sound like 1767 to me. Maybe you are calculating wrong. That could certainly affect weightless.

dinner could be anything from a ham, cheese and egg salad to spaghetti bolognese
  • andrew384
    Options
    I only tend to eat if I'm hungry and sometimes when I come home I might have a chocolate bar such as a Rocky when I take the dog out. I have never thought about my calorie in take during the day just thought that my alcohol intake was very high so decided to cut it down. Perhaps I'l try and snack a bit more during the day as opossed to the evening after dinner??
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight obviously you can't expect to do the same as before in terms of eating and exercise. Either you are miscalculating your BMR or exercise calories, or you have a medical condition prohibiting you from losing weight. If you are fit and healthy then you should have a good body fat %, so do you really need to lose weight?

I would quit counting any normal activity as exercise and only count extra work that you body is not used to doing. Your body adapts to exercise and after a while becomes efficient at doing it so you wont actually be getting the benefit you think. I would also take a good look at the quality of food you're eating. Ham, butter, cheese, bread, sugary cereal...not exactly typical diet foods. A calorie is a calorie but I expect if you ate more healthily you would find you didn't need to eat so much. Also your sample day is pretty low on a number of key vitamins and minerals. What about something like this?

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and grilled tomato on rye bread / Plain yoghurt with dried fruit, seeds and nuts
    Lunch: Wholegrain wrap with tuna salad / wholemeal pitta with humous and salad
    Dinner: Wholemeal pasta with vegetable sauce / sweet potato mash, grilled salmon and green veg
    Snacks: Nuts, seeds, fruit, crackers, granola, veggie sticks

Honestly I think you should concentrate for a week or two on simply eating clean and healthy foods, with an emphasis on non-processed meat and fish, vegetables and salads, cut out the refined carbs and sugars and just eat as much as you feel is appropriate. Also go and do some new exercise. Calorie count if you want but I doubt it will be necessary if you eat well.
  • andrew384
    Options
    perhaps I'm over estimating my exercise calorie burn?? I have a gps tracker and I work my speed out from that. I also time the the distance I travel to work speed out and I think it is fairly accurate. Don't get me wrong there's nothing i'd love better than to sit on my *kitten* but it's not in my make up to do that!! lol
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I think you (or mfp) are overestimating you calories burned. Do you actually get your heartrate up for 80mins when you walk the dog? Are you out of breath even a little, are you sweating at all?

I personally don't include walking in my exercise log, unless it's a good hill walk where I feel aches afterwards!

I count walking as my daily activity, so that's part of the base rate.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Actually on mfp calculations that is about what i'd get for similar activiTy. i do think mfp significantly overestimates. When i walk the dog, go to gym etc, i rack up1000-1600 cal. I don't take that too seriously. I eat back a fair few but couldn't eat them all without making some unhealthy choices. I eat when im hungry. I eat healthy food when im hungry, not junk. I think this is a pretty good guide to follow.

(typos = phone!)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Why not try changing your activity level to lightly active or moderately active and only add any extra exercise calories for stuff that is outside your normal routine?
  • andrew384
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. It's given me food for thought!! (see what I did there) I'll try cutting out sugary foods and we have actually changed from say normal pasta to brown pasta, etc. Regarding exercise I would say on the whole it is only the cycling that I get really out of breath and get a good sweat on. Plus, I'm sure the cutting down of alcohol will help too as it hasn't even been a week yet.
  • andrew384
    Options
    I can't really change my activity as I need to walk my dog and I cycle to and from work. But I will take the rest on board. Cheers all!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I am having the same trouble. Since I started working out at the gym I am stuffed by the end of the night (cannot eat another bite) and usually average barely 200 net calories. If I only count the workout days, I average 126 net calories. I have my settings calculated to lose 2 lbs per week and it allows me 1590 caloreis currently. Most of the time I only eat around 1200 calories. I usually average 1200-1400 calories burned 5-6 days per week. I have a body fat % of 22.3, but am still kicking it at the gym to get rid of the rest of the fat around my mid section.
    I have caused concern with a lot of my MFP friends due to my low net calories but just cannot eat any more most of those days. I am pretty sure when I work out that much my stomach shrinks quite a bit. I tell everyone not to worry, I will definitely eat when I am hungry. That is why I used to weigh 336 pounds, I was always hungry. lol
    My fitness trainer here at the hospital fitness center tells me I am doing well. I am building a lot of lean muscle and burning fat. Since April when I completely changed my lifestyle and decided to get down to a good weight and keep it there I have lost 53 pounds in 19 weeks (as of tomorrow). That is averaging 2.8 pounds per week.
    Since I am 23 pounds away from the goal weight my trainer thinks I should be, I am pretty sure I will quit losing before long and just tone more as the fat comes off and the muscle builds. At 44 years old I am just thrilled my metabolism is in high gear. I don't know how long that will last so just going with the flow at the moment.
    Good luck with your efforts. If you have any concerns whatsoever definitely see a doctor. Just because it seems to be working safely for me, doesn't mean it is okay for others. Be safe and cautious. It won't hurt to have a medical opinion-if for no other reason-to put your mind at ease.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I can't really change my activity as I need to walk my dog and I cycle to and from work. But I will take the rest on board. Cheers all!

I think the poster meant change the level your activity is set to light or moderate active. This will give you a basic calorie allowance that takes into account the daily activity that you do with dog walking and cycling. And then you can add in as 'extra' your sport and exercise activity.
  • BerryH
    Options

I think the poster meant change the level your activity is set to light or moderate active. This will give you a basic calorie allowance that takes into account the daily activity that you do with dog walking and cycling. And then you can add in as 'extra' your sport and exercise activity.
    ^^^ Yes, this is what I meant! It's under Settings -> Update diet and fitness profile.
  • andrew384
    Options
    Ah sorry see what you mean now. Mine is set to sedetary anyway since I mainly sit at a desk all day.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Ah sorry see what you mean now. Mine is set to sedetary anyway since I mainly sit at a desk all day.
    I was suggesting you set it to lightly active or active to cover your daily dog walking and cycling and then NOT record those as separate exercise, which should give you a lower, more accurate calorie target. Anything such as sport you don't do as that daily activity you'd record separately.
  • andrew384
    Options
    Sorry, I've done that and will give it a go. Thanks for your advice and patience!!