I refuse to starve myself!!

Recently a few ladies at work have started working out and dieting. Both have lost more weight and inches than me. I'm very happy for them and they look great but their diet has consisted mainly of a big salad at lunch everyday...nothing else but water. I have lost about 1 lb a week and my calories remain btween 1200-1400 a day. One of them asked me how much weight I have lost in the last 6 weeks. I told her and she said really...maybe you ought to try the "Dolly Parton" diet. I said what is that and she said if you really want something to eat just chew it up and then spit it out!?!?! Has anyone ever heard of this? I guess I like food too much!

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    There's all kinds of ridiculous ways to lose weight. Sounds like what you are doing will help you lose and then KEEP weight off. Don't pay attention to them. You shouldn't and don't have to starve or do silly things to get to a healthy weight and more importantly, stay there.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    I don't think their method is sustainable in the long term while yours is...but that's just my opinion :o)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    They won't be able to maintain that lifestyle for very long. Or if they do they'll plateau and generally be unhealthy. Just stick with what you're doing and be proud of yourself for losing weight in a healthy manner.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Yes I've heard of people eating something and spitting it out. I don't really think this is an actual diet though. More like a satirical phrase.

The "real" Dolly Parton Diet is related to the Cabbe Soup Diet.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    You're obviously the smart one in your office. Keep doing what you're doing and when they regain all the weight they've lost on their silly fad diets you will still be slim and fit :bigsmile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Recently a few ladies at work have started working out and dieting. Both have lost more weight and inches than me. I'm very happy for them and they look great but their diet has consisted mainly of a big salad at lunch everyday...nothing else but water. I have lost about 1 lb a week and my calories remain btween 1200-1400 a day. One of them asked me how much weight I have lost in the last 6 weeks. I told her and she said really...maybe you ought to try the "Dolly Parton" diet. I said what is that and she said if you really want something to eat just chew it up and then spit it out!?!?! Has anyone ever heard of this? I guess I like food too much!

sounds like te beginning of an eating disorder to me.

I would put money on the fact that by christmas you have kept your weight off, and they havent!
  • CronoCX
    CronoCX Posts: 59 Member
    I would highly recommend not doing that diet! Starving your self first of all tells your body to store fat. They probably just lost water weight. When they get off that diet they are going to gain it all back! Its a commitment to eat differently a complete lifestyle change. So if all your life you want to eat something than spit it out go for it but, if you really want to enjoy your food and eat like a normal human being stay to what your doing and lose it the healthy way =)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    They are probably losing more muscle mass than fat mass. That's what happens when you eat too little. So all they are doing is slowing down their metabolism and thyroid. It's going to suck for them if they try and up their calories.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Starvation diets are never the answer. Don't give into the temptation to do it the unhealthy way - sounds like you're doing just fine to me.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    good for you. slow and steady wins the race. You will keep your weight off, they will gain it back. You know you are doing it the right way. good luck.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Two words for those women you work with. Eating disorder.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    In 2 weeks they won't be losing weight anymore! and they are going to gain it back!

You are eatting- You are doing it right and not doing damage to your body!

You are doing wonderful! Keep eatting and be proud of what you have done....you are changing your life.....they are changing for the short term!

Thats just how I see it!
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    i have had a friend only eat like a piece of fruit. Yeah, She lost weight but ended up gaining it back.not very smart! your doing a good job and will get farther and have a easier time keeping it off
  • I would highly recommend not doing that diet! Starving your self first of all tells your body to store fat. They probably just lost water weight. When they get off that diet they are going to gain it all back! Its a commitment to eat differently a complete lifestyle change. So if all your life you want to eat something than spit it out go for it but, if you really want to enjoy your food and eat like a normal human being stay to what your doing and lose it the healthy way =)

Ha! Me spit food out and let it go to waste...no way that's gonna happen :laugh:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    good for you. slow and steady wins the race. You will keep your weight off, they will gain it back. You know you are doing it the right way. good luck.

That's true. Any fad diet is not sustainable long term. And often the minute a person stops, they gain it all back plus some. And that's very harmful to their bodies.
  • mrdalton
    mrdalton Posts: 95 Member
    So gross. I saw that on a TLC tv show recently called "My Weird Addiction" i think. This lady was chewing up food and spitting it out into a glass at the dinner table with her young children watching - and to make matters worse they picked up on the habit. Poor kids.

Not worth it. dont do it. Youa re doing fine. You will get there. It is not a race.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Your co-workers sound like pretentious b*tches... which sounds awful, but really? How long are you going to be able to sustain a rabbit food and water diet? And then to recommend that to someone else who is losing at a wonderfully healthy rate??? Get over yourselves, people. Like everyone else said, you will be more successful in the long run. DON'T starve yourself, and you will definitely continue to see positive results that last! It might take you a while to get to where you want to be, but the long-term investment is totally what makes a difference.
  • RN4Surgery
    RN4Surgery Posts: 18 Member
    Thats ridiculous. You are doing the right thing...learning how to eat and how exercise lets you eat more....its just simple math. If you take in more than your body burns, you gain, if you use your calories and think about the things you put in your mouth, its a sustainable life time change.....that other stuff is NOT sustainable or healthy. I had a friend that had yummy carrot cake last week...she wanted me to have a piece too. Instead of ordering one, she gave me two forks of hers. Got to taste it, enjoy it but not waste many calories on it. portion control:)
  • I agree. Although they are loosing inches and weight at a quicker pace now they will eventually hit starvation mode and may even begin gaining it back. You are doing wonderful just keep it up :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I don't think their method is sustainable in the long term while yours is...but that's just my opinion :o)

This. They went on a diet, you're working on changing your lifestyle. This isn't a race to see who can get there the fastest, it's a lifestyle change to see who can stay there the longest and still be healthy.