I refuse to starve myself!!

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    I've worked with women who were on the caffeine and nicotine diet! Basically a coffee and a smoke! Sure they got thin but, they had dry hair, bad breath and were ill tempered.
    I think you are smart to take a balanced and healthy approach to losing weight and general fitness. Look good and feel good, you can do both!
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Yeah I've heard of it and it's freaking disgusting in my opinion. You're exactly right, it's like starving and depriving yourself of things... you are doing this the right way. Don't let others influence you. You're doing great, I'm sure you're noticing changes, and chances are...in 20 years you'll still be doing great and they'll be starting some other crazy idea to lose the pounds they've gained back!
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    The way your office mates are losing weight makes about as much sense as opting for amputation to lose weight, IMO.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Give it time....you'll still be losing and onto maintaining, when they have gained all their weight back PLUS! :)
  • myfurturelooksgood
    myfurturelooksgood Posts: 30 Member
    Gosh, your office friends should like me years ago, which is why its so hard to lose weight now. My metabolism is way out of whack because of those crash diets, not to mention diet aids, starvation (I get a high from not eating, do you?), yoyo weight gain/loss over the years. I have probably lost several people in weight loss since my early twenties but look, a couple have found their way back onto my body :)
    You are chosing not only a healthy way to lose but a healthy way to be-keep at it!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    That is so silly. A pound a week is an brilliant achievement. I bought 2 pounds of cherries the other day and I was amazed at how heavy the bag was. I lost over 7 stone over about 3 years and only put 2 of those back on due to pregnancy and just being a bit lazy. That was a slow and steady process and I ate lovely food the whole way. Why would you even begin to do all that. As well as being very unhealthy it is a waste of money. I am losing a pound a week and I do go thinking ooh I could just not eat for a few weeks and lose but why bother. I love food!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Yes I've heard of people eating something and spitting it out. I don't really think this is an actual diet though. More like a satirical phrase.

Chew and Spit. It falls somewhere between Anorexia and Bulimia on the ED scale.
  • If this is the diet they are using, it is absolutely ridiculous. Yes they may be losing weight, but it isn't the right kind of weight. They are leading their bodies into starvation mode and eventually their metabolism will be working so extremely slow. When you do things like this to the body, you aren't really losing fat, you are losing your muscle. Then once you start eating again, your body will hold onto EVERY LITTLE THING in fear that that might be the last thing it will get for awhile. So it will hold onto it. The best thing is to do what you're doing. You are doing the right thing. Whenever weight falls off quickly, it eventually comes right back. But when weight falls off slowly, it is more than likely going to stay off. Losing about 1 to 2 lbs per week is the safest. I wouldn't let them influence you. Their method will only led to destruction.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member

I would put money on the fact that by christmas you have kept your weight off, and they havent!

I totally agree! it is hard to lose 1 lb a week, because you have to be in it for the long haul and it can be a slow process. But you will see more long term results by making the healthy sustainable changes. That is what I have done this time and I am very pleased with the results. it has taken me 8 months to lose 51 lbs but I would have stopped after the first month if I had to limit myself to salads and water!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I thought the Dolly Parton diet was mostly dairy products?
  • RN4Surgery
    RN4Surgery Posts: 18 Member
    Oh, and btw...I have a step-daughter that suffered for a year with a VERY dangerous and critical eating disorder....hospitalized for months..I am proud to say she is a healthy young lady now. People that do wierd stuff like that in front of their kids or obscess about their weight when they are just a few pounds over or normal sized need to realize it can severely distort their view of a normal healthy way of living
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I've heard of folks chewing food and spitting it out. Kinda dumb to me. Remember slow and steady.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I knew a lady that did that - chew food up and spit it out - years ago when she was trying some liquid fad diet. I thought it was insane then, and it still sounds that way now. One things for sure, after I saw a bite or two of the chewed up food I was spitting out that would take my desire for it away.
  • You can cut off your arm, and probably drop 15 pounds right there.

That doesn't mean it'd be a good idea.
  • You can cut off your arm, and probably drop 15 pounds right there.

That doesn't mean it'd be a good idea.

Hahaha!! Don't think I'll be doing either :laugh:
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    "Chew and Spit" IS an actual eating disorder, in it's own class. This will wreak havoc on one's body, almost as much as full-blown bulimia. When you chew food, your body begins the digestion routine of creating the acids in the stomach in preparation to break down whatever is being chewed. When food is spit back out, there's nothing for that acid to do, so it sits in the stomach and accumulates, causing major damage in people who have serious issues with this disorder. What they are doing is extremely detrimental.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Stick with what you are doing. I have a friend, last I heard it was just Salads, and Chicken, he had lost like 7 pounds, I was down 4. I had more time in, but I know mine will last longer, tell them you'll see them in a year, when they are sick, weak, and gained it all back when they stop.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    In Korea, they have these places called "Danshik-won"... or "fasting houses." You pay them to lock you up in there and starve you. :noway: People who want to starve to lose weight, but don't have the willpower to stay away from food, go to those places.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    You have made a healthy lifestyle change. Unfortunately for them, when they can't take the hunger anymore, they will resort back to their old habits and probably gain all the weight back and then some. I have done enough crazy diets in my day and none of them were sustainable. Keep up the good work!
  • kippit
    kippit Posts: 78
    Slow and steady wins the race AND KEEPS THE WEIGHT OFF!!!