Talk to me about zumba

Options
I noticed that there's a zumba center near my house. I'm kind of interested in going to a class, but I'm super nervous. I have social anxiety, and so I have to know what to expect.

I'm pretty overweight and horridly out of shape. What would a zumba class be like? What would I wear? How would I know what to do? Is it easy for a beginner to pick up?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I`ve never been but they have Zumba at my gym and I see women of all sizes and all skills there. Some are really good, some are not but try. It looks like a lot of fun but I`m just too shy to go alone. They usually wear what they would to the gym, sweats. t shirts, some yoga pants mostly. Hope that helps. :)
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    get the dvds they're a little pricey but its for your health!
  • Bettyou
    Bettyou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Zumba for a few months on and off now. Its really a blast and you have to be able to laugh at yourself! As for
    being self conscious, don't sweat it! Most everyone doesn't know what they're doing and they don't care! The workout is great, the music is great and the instructors are so enthusiastic, just keep moving and you'll burn calories! As for what to wear, whatever you would typically work out in does the job! Some people wear belly dancing belts to motivate them selves to shake it even more!
    Also, I'd advise you make sure you tell the instructore your new, so just in case you have a very experienced class they can advise lower impact for beginners! Be sure you take more than a 16 oz bottle of water and drink often!
    Enjoy the calorie burn, its a great core worker and gets that cardio going... quickly!
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE zumba. It is very fast paced so be prepared for that. drink plenty of water and wear just regular workout clothes, but i guarantee you that you will love it! the moves are not hard, but you may be lost the first day, i was lol just keep moving! there are also zumba dvd's you can rent from the library, but doing it in an actual class is way better, but give it a try!
    good luck!
  • MissMom3
    MissMom3 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, they offer free classes at my gym. If you have children most places offer a Mommy and Me Zumba class, which for me is less crowded and also it's a easier to pick up because the movements are not so complex. You should try it, it's a fun way to burn calories. I don't have a HRM but most girls I talk to say they burn between 500-100 for an hour class, which is awesome! Good luck to you!!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Zumba is basically working out dance-style to latin type music. Each song you will do somewhat of a dance routine...it is very repetitive. You just watch the instructor and follow along. If you are not able to do all the steps or keep up just keep moving and do what you can. you wear comfortable clothes...whatever you would workout in. It is easy if you are somewhat coordinated, but if you not DON'T let that stop you...it is sooo much fun.

Enjoy!
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I know I post on all these topics. LOL! I can't help it. Um... if you like music, dance, feeling freedom, and feeling sexy... you would love Zumba. It's true... Zumba makes me feel all these things which is why I stuck with it! I'm going to be honest with you: Zumba is sometimes overwhelming the very first time... BUT after the first time, you will catch on! That's why I always tell people that you have to try Zumba at least twice with the same instructor. Be prepared to drink lots of water and take a couple of breathers between some songs... that's perfectly normal! A lot of people do! What to wear? Pants. Your instructor will almost definitely be wearing long pants or capris... which is what most everyone else will be wearing. I also tell people, if you are extremely unsure, check out youtube for a couple Zumba steps broken-down. A lot of people try the Zumba video game to start out with, but I'm telling you that there is absolutely NO comparison between the TV and the real thing. There's nothing quite like it!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    We have all types in my Zumba class -- age ranges from about 20-70, fitness level from "just-got-off-the-couch-after-20-years" to triathelete, and attire varies from sweats and a baggy t-shirt to super short, super tight shorts. Some of the women wear belly-dancing skirts (they jingle when you dance and are a lot of fun) and some don't. It is a blast and most people can pick up the steps pretty well after 3-4 classes. Don't worry, though. Everyone is too busy watching the instructor to notice if you mess up!

Our instructor always says that there is only one rule in Zumba--HAVE FUN!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Here's a video of some basics, sorry the video is kinda sketchy!

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjAyNDYwMTY0.html
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    I started zumba'ing about Feb/March and love it. I haven't been able to go much in the summer due to my schedule, but I did make it last Thursday. I thought I was out of shape from not being there in so long but the gals said the instructor was hard on us that day. I've been doing C25K off & on since May so I'm still active without regular zumba. I sweated by butt off.

If you find its too much you can back off and go at your own pace. I am still about 75 lbs overweight and find it quite easy to do and enjoy the class.

I recently found a place by my work but have not had a chance to stop in to see when the classes are held. You have to give it a try. I think you will love it.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I went to a zumba class before i ever tried the zumba dvd. I was not yet exercising regularly so i was pretty out of shape and about 250 lbs. To be honest, by the end, I thought i was going to need a paramedic! It was an hour long and it was intense for me. And it seemed everyone knew what they were doing but me (the dance steps I mean). I love zumba now though. I use the dvds every week now. At first i found it really exhausting but now i can get through the whole video. So I would say, definitely give it a try, and if you don't yet feel comfortable with a class, try the dvds first and then after a few weeks go to the class.
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    I should note that I have lost 60 pounds doing Zumba... ;-)
  • cmbradfield
    Options
    Zumba is my favorite class. I go at least twice a week. My daugter who is 11 goes with me sometimes and just last week a woman who is 86 came to class. You can wear whatever you want. I wear gym short or capri's and a t-shirt. The instructor will show you the moves and once you attend a few classes, you'll have the dance moves down!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You will not be the only one overweight or the only "newbie" struggling with the moves. You will likely not be the only one having fun either. The thing about Zumba is that you don't have to do the moves perfectly. They are designed for everyone and even the instructors will do them a little differently. I have the DVDs and even on there, everyone in the group does each move a little differently. You can start at your own pace but still keep up. As your fitness increases you'll find yourself "working it" a little more. It's just a realy FUN low pressure workout that yeilds big results.
  • migieheard
    Options
    Zumba is great cardio workout that is like jazzercise sort of. It is based on different dance styles, mostly latin, some hip hop, belly dancing & lots of fun! It is hard at first when you don't know the moves, but the more you do it the better you get at it. You will sweat, even if you're just trying to follow along, imagine when you can keep up! Every instructor has their own style & variances on the choreagraphy, but the whole point is to dance and break a sweat while doing it, so it's fun but you're getting a cardio workout!! Try it out with a friend a few times before saying you don't like it. It's not easy in the beginning, but what is?
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i LOVE Zumba!

i've only used the DVDs... but i'm in love with them. little tricky at first, so dont be discouraged if u cant get the steps right... you can just watch the steps again. When i'm done (which u dont feel as much, because its dancing), i'm dripping with sweat!

i've always been pretty shy about doing it in public... but having used the DVDs for some weeks now, i'm more confident and have contacted an instructor that does it here. So i will be going to try a class out soon.

Give it a try!
  • carmelasergi
    carmelasergi Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba too! It's so much fun!

I bought the Zumba Exhilerate DVD set and have learned the basic steps, but even then I don't always follow the instructors because I have 2 left feet. Sometimes my feet do something different than what my mind is telling them to do. All I do is pause a moment an then catch up.

I'm considering taking a Zumba class in my area now that I know the basic steps. I've heard they're a lot of fun and more intense.

The whole idea is to have FUN & burn calories while doing it.

Let us know how you like it! :smile:
  • debbiesdaughter
    Options
    I definitely encourage you to try zumba! I was nervous when I started, especially since I never ever dance in public. But now I love this workout! I go 3 times a week and it is a great workout and it is very fun and goes by very fast.
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OK, so are there typically any guys in a Zumba class. If I go will I be the only one?
  • zumbawhit
    Options
    Zumba is FOR men also, (heck, the creator is a man), but honestly it will depend on where you live. If you're in a large city with a large class, there's more likely to be more men. I've only had one man attend my class, and my friend's class (which runs 150) only has three. BUT Joplin is not a huge city. Kansas City is the nearest to me with the largest Zumba database, and Tony's class has lots of guys. The only way to know is to check it out! You just may love it!