Talk to me about zumba

2»

Replies

• sarahcscott3
    sarahcscott3 Posts: 31 Member
    I should note that I have lost 60 pounds doing Zumba... ;-)

That is so awesome, get it girl! I have been doing Zumba 3 times a week at my local Y for about two months and have lost about 5 pounds.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    You are guaranteed to sweat, but also have a great time.
    I love it, I have the dvds for home, which are good when I cant get out due to the kids or whatever, but to be honest,for me anyway, its best to get into a class, everyone is really pumped up, and the instructors are enthusiastic and keep you going.
    I go to two different classes during the week, both very mixed, newbies, gym bunnies, uncoordinated, teens, grannies. No-one is judging how badly you do the steps. As long as you are moving its all good. It really doesnt take too long to get into the steps, but if you don't, its no big deal. The classes I go to use some of the same music, but totally different routines, so I usually end up sorta working to my own rythym:laugh:
    Just wear general gym wear, or if you can bear, a vest top. Take a big bottle of water and a small towel or have a sweatband. One of my classes uses the belly dancing belts which is cool, but in both we are encouraged to sing and laugh and shout. Enjoy it!
    The first class I went to, I went myself, and it was fine, the girls were welcoming and the instructor was excellent - and I am not good in social situations :blushing:
  • LauraU8
    LauraU8 Posts: 5 Member
    I bought the Zumba tape for my Wii and I love it! Well worth the investment! :smile:
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Zumba helped me reach my first goal...68 pounds! I absolutely swear by it! The instructor is the key ingredient! :bigsmile:
  • donkeygrl
    donkeygrl Posts: 11 Member
    I love Zumba! It helped me lose 70 pounds....in fact I loved it so much I became an instructor ;-)
    Please try a class and if you don't love it - try a Zumba class with a different instructor. As said above the instructor can be the key!
    So many of us have our own style and flavor - there is a Zumba class for everyone in my honest opinion :-)
    Best of luck!
  • I so badly want to try a class too but I'm so intimidated about dancing in front of people and I'm scared I wouldn't last the whole class and I'd be the "wimp" that left early. LOL
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    all ages and sizes go to zumba some people wear like combat trousers and a vest others wear normal jogging tousers and tshirt , i have been a few times going tonight actually and it good fun plenty of people dont know the steps it dancing to music with a little aerobics give it a try
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    OK, so are there typically any guys in a Zumba class. If I go will I be the only one?

i love zuma! I have been attending zumba class once a week for the past 5 and a half months plus i occasionally do a half hour zumba video at home. most weeks there are only females in the class but occasionally you have 1 or 2 guys coming along. zumba is for everyone so dont be turned off if there are mostly women, it's alot of fun.

comfortable clothing is essential. be prepared to sweat alot so do bring a large towel and lots of water.
  • ackeebee
    the key to zumba is to keep moving. even if you are struggling with the steps at first, just make up your own steps and move along. trust me, everyone else is doing the same and they are too busy concentrating on what they are doing to notice you :-)
  • I JUST started zumba and I love it! My class is low-key and there are women and a few men of all sizes and fitness levels.

Don't be intimidated if the moves seem tough. I find it similar to a step class with better music! Lots of fun. My workout buddy says that even wrong moves burn calories.

I wear thin workout pants and a t-shirt. I like it to be fitted (but not too tight) so it doesn't get in my way, but doesnt hug my post-baby belly. :)

I find that after going a few times, the moves get easier, and you know what to expect. Try it out! If the moves seem tough, just go slow, like one step here instead of the fancier footwork - once you get the rhythm down it will come easier.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    I love Zumba! I go to two classes a week with different instructors. The people there vary in age from teens to late 60s/70s and from very overweight to very in shape. Nobody takes it very seriously and most of us mess up the steps a lot but it's great fun. One of my instructors always says that it doesn't matter if you can't follow the steps properly - as long as you're moving you're burning calories! Just wear comfy workout gear (I wear trainers, tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt) and make sure you take a big bottle of water. If you can find a friend to go with then that might make it less nerve-racking at first, but once you're there it will be fine because everyone will be too busy trying to keep up to notice what anyone else is doing :-)
  • ackeebee
    also, the type of shoe you wear is essential. running shoes are not recommended. sneakers designed for aerobics/dance are best.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    i love zumba!
    i enjoy it because its something fun for me and different than just running or getting on an elliptical.

if you want to try it, go for it. can't hurt right ;)
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    It's fun and good excercise. something different and I laugh at myself cause sometimes I am dacing the wrong way lol....life is to short to get stressed about stuff that should be fun!:flowerforyou:
  • zumba89
    zumba89 Posts: 82
    Just go. Go to a few classes with different teacher and see if you like it. Zumba is very hard for someone who's shy like me. Let me tell you with the fun move and talking with the teacher you get to open up a little more each time you go. Just think of it this way zumba will help you open up more, slim down, and be a sexier you. That's just how I feel.

Good luck.
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    I was so scared to do a class myself so I did the xbox kinect version for a bit before trying a class. I also have social anxiety but that all washed away after a few minutes. Invite a friend that has never done it with you and you can be silly together. Make sure get a spot where you can see the instructor. I hid in back because i didnt want anyone to see me and ended up not seeing myself. Also jazzersize is alot of fun too! Good luck!
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Thanks for all the responses!! I emailed the zumba place and classes are only $7, so I will have to go try one out. Thanks!!!
This discussion has been closed.