To those that don't drink alcohol...

Options

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Mommy issues. My mother is an alcoholic, and I have some terrible memories of what she does drunk. Not only am I afraid to repeat it, but I hear that it can be genetic, so I have a strict no tolerance policy in my house. Not only do I not drink it, but I also ask that my husband refrain from bringing it into the house.

My brother is the same way. He refuses to touch it.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot in high school. There was this party that a girlfriend and I had that went bad. We invited a bunch of people to a hotel, had a lot of drinks. Some weed got tossed in the mix from what I remember. I passed out on the couch. Next thing I know, my 'boyfriend' woke me up telling me that she was sick in the bathroom. I walk in. She's having a seizure due to alcohol poisoning. Talk about doing a 180! I went from passed out drunk to stone cold sober in about half a second. Had to fight with the hotel management to get an ambulance to her. I rode with her, gave her info to the hospital. Terrible night.

After that, I stopped drinking for a couple years. In college, I would be the "Momma Bird" who made sure that people didn't get too drunk, didn't hurt themselves, didn't trash my house, etc. It came in handy a couple times. I really only got drunk on Halloween.

During my marriage and subsequent divorce, I drank a lot. I just drank to forget about where I was. I was miserable. Once I moved back in with my mom, I went to the bar once to celebrate my freedom.

The last time that I really drank seriously was like 3 years ago at my boyfriend's 20th birthday. Wild Turkey put me under. I ended up puking my guts out in his front yard. It was terribly embarrassing.

Since then, I don't really drink. I have to really be in the mood for it. Even then, I don't get drunk. I'll have a margarita every now and then when we go out for Mexican. At this point in my life, I don't really want to waste my calories on it. I've become a super lightweight, so if I do decide to drink, I'm a cheap drunk lol I just accept my role as the DD. It works for me. I'm 26 and my boyfriend is 21, so it works out for him too lol
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the bar after hockey games when I was younger
    but it's such a waste to be honest.
    I've never been drunk which I am proud of. And feel sorry for those
    who think life is just one big party.
    i rarely have a drink anymore. if I do it's normally just around
    the holidays (Christmas & New Years) and it's only 1 or 2.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I was the college binge drinker that never stopped and after 15+ yrs... I finally had enough. Nowadays I find it better not to drink at all, then have 1 + 1+ 1+ 1....till I can't drink no more. Sober since May 2010. I drink on the rare occasion (like my last vacation to Germany, HAD to enjoy a Pilsner, and 1 was enough).
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink alcohol, just because I don't really like it unless it's some frou-frou really sweet thing that would have loads of calories. I NEVER turn down dessert, though, I have my priorities.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol at all, as in I haven't had a sip of any alcohol in about 5 years, and have been drunk maybe ten times in my life. I have two reasons for not drinking. The first reason is that I have never liked the taste or been able to acquire the taste for any kind of alcohol, and the second is that I am a recovering heroin addict, so all mind altering substances are off limits for me. Even when I was doing dope everyday, I would not touch alcohol because I thought(and still do) that it is disgusting. I guess I'm lucky, though I've always kind of been envious of those that can drink socially and enjoy the taste and its effects.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Even one drink takes a tiny bit of the edge off my day. I can laugh easier. I don't get annoyed at the messy house, or short tempered husband. I can relax a tiny bit more. I like the taste. MORE than one drinks just amplifies all that. Plus it makes sex better, which is part of the relaxation thing...

ETA: I thought you were asking why I DO drink. Opps. I swear I haven't had anything tonight.

Yet.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    ooooooops! walked in on the wrong thread..........*backs out quietly so nobody notices glass of wine in hand

:laugh:

:wink:

HEHEHE!
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't like to waste the calories, can't afford to lose the brain cells, don't like the taste of beer and red wines, hate to waste calories, doesn't make me a better person or more interesting, so I only drink once a year or so.
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try not to drink any of my calories as I like eating way too much. It also gives me a headache...must dilate my brain blood vessels or something...also, drinking out is expensive... Did used to really enjoy a good cold beer, but the headache isn't worth it.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I logged 2 mich ultras on today's diary....guess I should open one then!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Some people in my life have an alcohol problem so in support of them, I don't drink.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drink in 5 years. I don't overly enjoy it (I hate wine) and after 3 horrible pregnancies where I threw up every single morning/afternoon and night for 9 long months I swore I would never ever ever wake up with a hangover again, and I won't. Because thats exatly what morning sickness feels like.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat some brownies and smoke a cig.

Amen, sister.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Never found a reason to drink it. I dislike the smell, and I have always had plenty of other things to keep me entertained or filled!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Although I used to love to slam 'em down, once I passed 40 (years, not beers!) alcohol just makes me tired. I'll have maybe one drink every six months or so, but I just don't like feeling tired.
  • amandanzgirl
    amandanzgirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have done my fair share of drinking (ALOT) when I was at uni, and into my 20's.
    Now I have a 22 month old son and cant do being hungover anymore. He has WAY too much energy for me to run after with a hangover! Also I get older I seem to have the WORST hangovers (maybe just out of practice?!), so I would rather not ruin my weekend with one, if I can help it!

I know I could probably have a glass or two in the evening, but like a lot of other people have said - I would rather a couple pieces of chocolate or a cookie if I have the spare calories!
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    because it makes you fat (especially around your belly) and does not even taste that good= lose lose deal
  • Thetera
    Thetera Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i dont, i was raised by a certified alcoholics anonymous dad and a mom who could put away two bottles of wine by herself. i respected my dad, i didnt respect my mom. Not like punitative respect either like love and admiration respect, so sortof reverse daddy issues on that one. im in college now and have plenty of opportunity to drink, but when i have tried it, i go from sober to ****faced in the space of one beer, i dont like the feeling, the hangover, the taste or the lack of controll. ive tried hard liquor and i like the taste of certain things like Jegermeister, but very very very very little else, i cant handle the acetone flavor. :/ *shrug* its just sortof a convenient by product that calorie counting is easier, no need to make room for a "liquid lunch"

overall sugar high definitley is more of a vice, i can drink somewhere close to six shirley temples when i do go out to a bar XD i try to watch it more now that im on MFP though
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Because I'm one of those people that don't know when to stop once they start.

It's much easier (read: cheaper on the wallet, and the calories) to just NOT start.