input on lap band surgery

Options
Has anyone had the lap band surgery or know someone who has? Any input positive or negative is GREATLY appreciated. Just curious but don't know much about it. Thanks.

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    the only person I know didn't have any lasting success. I wouldn't do it.
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a bariatric facility and saw numerous lap bands done....you can lose weight but you can also gain it back. Whether you decide for the surgery or you do the weight loss with diet and exercise it still takes will power to keep the weight off. Also I saw several who did other weight loss procedures who did not exercise but did lose weight and they had little to no muscle tone which looked terrible. I will always believe that the natural way (diet and exercise) is better for a person than surgery with its risks.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My mom got it done. I've lost more weight than her in the few months I started than she has in over a year. Things get "stuck" all the time when she eats, and sometimes she has to puke it back up. She can't eat certain foods, and she's constantly getting stuck with this huge *kitten* needle to fill up the port again to make things tighter. Not something I would want to live with for the rest of my life. She's on here if you want to shoot her a message, her screen name is mtusek.
  • metallman9
    Options
    2 people I know Bypass a surgery and One became a heroin addict and the other an alcoholic. They could no longer eat like they wanted, so they replaced their habit with other things. I looked into surgery and if I did everything they asked(which was excersize and eat a low calorie diet), I wouldn't need the surgery to begin with. You may want to investigate an OA or FAA meeting in your area. There are alot of people in the same position(or used to be) that could help you. Fitness Pal has helped me immensely with my weight loss.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I have 2 friends that have it. One never attempted to diet seriously, paid out of pocket to avoid insurance rules and is still large.
    The other went to the gym every night religiously and is now at goal.
    Two different approaches, two different endings.
  • Immaskinnycow
    Immaskinnycow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had the lap band procedure done a yr and half ago. She weighed about 295 then and weighs 245 now. She feels she has lost all she can. I don't know, but 50 pounds in a yr and a half seems like very little lost, but that is just my opinion. She didnt and still doesn't like to exercise so she isn't going to shed many pounds. My sister in law had the gastric bypass surgery and lost over a hundred pounds. She is 4" 10" tall and weighed over 300 pounds. Since shedding the weight she has serious issues with extra skin. She is thinner, but like the other poster said she has a lot of extra skin that isn't going anywhere even with constant workouts. If she wants the extra skin gone, she'll have to have plastic surgery, or keep wrapping herself in plastic wrap or spanx on a daily basis. I personally needed to shed over 100 pounds. So far I have lost 44 pounds. I do work out/walk/swim/ride bike/exercise bike and I have gained muscle and muscle tone since starting this new lifestyle. No matter how you go about your weight loss journey, you still have to WORK at it, sugery or not. Best of luck with whatever you decide is best for you.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    Well, now that all of the people who never had the band have spoken, I would be happy to tell you about my lap band experience and tell you about some of the people in my support group. It's been one year since I started seeing my lap band surgeon and staff about having the surgery. My band was "installed" on 10/1/2010 and a large hernia was also repaired at the same time. Due to swelling from the hernia, I had no help from my lapband until January 2011. I had the fluid removed in June because I had an ear operation and it was just refilled this month. I have lost a total of 50 pounds.

1. A lapband is a tool. It is designed to make the entryway to the stomach smaller so that food will take longer to enter the stomach, remaining at the spot where there are certain nerves located that send messages to the brain that you are full. If you consume liquid calories, such as sugared soda or ice cream, you will not feel full because that food passes right through your system. If you think you cannot give up liquid calories, you should NOT have the band operation.
    2. There are two makes of bands: Lap Band and Realize. Both websites have informational videos and other information about how they work and can help you determine if they are the right thing for you.
    3. As a TOOL, you will still have to learn to change how you eat, what you eat and you will exercise. Part of my weight loss has been slow because I still don't have my band in the "green zone" (filled to the point where it helps me the most) and because I have many illnesses that have kept me from exercising. I just started very basic, short term exercise this week. But, the band DOES help you with this by curbing your cravings.
    4. The band has a small tube inside your body that connects to a port about the size of a small stock of quarters and that port is surgically attached to the inside of your abdomen to permit the doctor to add or delete saline from the band.
    5. Everyone has different results with the band regarding what you can or cannot eat without "sliming" which is when food gets stuck. BUT, if you chew your food, take small bites, eat slowly and avoid sticky foods such as rice, white bread, you will not experience this. "Mindful eating" as described above is great for anyone losing weight because you actually taste food and are full much faster.

Now, the operation is not nearly as dangerous as the bypass and with laser surgery, the bypass isn't so bad. You have to remember that the main reason the bypasses are considered dangerous is because most of the patients have so many co-modbidities that ANY surgery/anesthesia is risky. But, if you have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, asthma and many other dangerous weight-related problems, you are in danger of dying just by sitting around with the weight. The lapband does not have the risk of peritonitis from leaking of the pouch created during the bypass operation.

I had my surgery performed around 9am on a Friday and was up walking around the ward by 6pm. They gave me great pain medication and I was allowed to go home the next morning, so I was there a little over 12 hours. When I went home, I had a little bit of not pain, but discomfort from the hernia operation, but I never took a single pain pill.

In my doctors' practice, we have 3 doctors, there are over 3,000 patients and each support group meeting has about 100-150 in attendance. I have yet to hear ANYONE who regrets having the operation. The statistics reveal that people lose weight faster with the bypass, but the band people tend to keep it off longer long term because they have to work the program to get it off. YES, there are people who fall by the wayside and do not lose the weight. It's not easy. There are some who gain it back. But what's funny is that you usually only hear about the bad ones and I, personally, know FAR MORE successful people than those who failed.

You can expect to lose about 60% of the weight you need to lose during the first 18 months that you have the band, statistically. I have met people who have lost 200 or more pounds.

ANYONE who loses a lot of weight and does not exercise will have sagging skin, and, truthfully, according to plastic surgeons, MOST people who lose 100 pounds or more will have sagging skin on the arms, apron (front belly) and boobs. Your age and skin elasticity will govern that.

Lapband patients should expect to lose about 1-2 pounds per week, more at the beginning, with some plateaus, and less as you approach your goal.

PLEASE feel free to email me with your questions, or ask them here. It is not nearly as negative as most people who do not elect surgery make it out to be and a good doctor can decide if you're a good candidate or not. It is NOT for everyone. But, it MIGHT be for you.
    Good luck, whichever route you choose!!!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    ^ Love you for that post. Not a patient, but my sister has been asking about it for herself, and it's nice to see a post with actual information when information is requested. Thanks.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery. I did not have the lap band, because I had seen numerous people gain the weight back. I am just over 5 years out. I gained back 20lbs then researched and researched and realized what I was doing wrong and (then) found out how easy it is to gain it back. There is a website that helped me called livingafterwls.com.

But, like someone else said, it's a tool. The Roun-Y Gastric Bypass I had helped to curve cravings and limit intake. Like the band, you can cheat. You can eat food that will slide through the stomach. I'm lucky enough to realize this BEFORE I gained 100's back.

One thing different about me, compared to others, is I didn't have a "reason" as to why I was overeating. I didn't have a bad child hood, nothing traumatic happened to me, I wasn't "addicted". I just ate badly. The surgery helped me to avoid sugar (because it made me sick) and eat less (no greasy food because it upset my stomach too). My enemies were chocolate, dessert and fast food. After surgery, I had to avoid it all because it made me sick. Then I lose weight - a lot of weight. Then the restrictions get lifted.. they do eventually go away.. then you need SELF CONTROL. I still limit my intake, but I need to improve my diet. I'm going to change this very soon!

I didn't "move" my addiction to somethign else. I did hear many people "move" their addiction to sex, alcohol, drugs, etc. Please get serious Pscychological help (not the one the doctor recommends). Seriously, find out why you are over weight. Find out the TRUE triggers, don't lie. They will make you gain the weight back if you do. Good Luck :)

I'm 30, I have skin.. saggy belly skin :( and some arms and thighs too! I'm 30!!!
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am a Lapbander since 11/11/08 and I love it!
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    My Aunt has this done about a year ago. She is now around 100 lbs or less and she said IT WAS THE WORST DECISION OF HER LIFE!!!!! she feels horrible!!!
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    *waves to Nancy*

I too am a "Bandy". I had my band installed 12/11/09. I was at 408 pounds and my BMI was over 71. I was literally dying. I have been dieting since I was 12 and have lost and gained 100 pounds twice in my life. I simply could not do it again. I would go on a diet, then off my diet, every Monday and Wednesday, respectively.

I looked at the surgery, along with my husband, for two years before I committed. I have the Realize Band. I did not chose, nor do I recommend, drastic or gastric by-pass surgery. It just wasn't for me. I wanted something that in case of emergency or life change, I could reverse.

There is a TON of work to do pre surgery and post surgery. They do not just install it and leave you to your own devices. You take classes on nutrition, weight loss, what and how to eat and how to live your new life. There are simple rules, such as not drinking your calories, eating your protein first and of course, exercising.

I couldn't do it alone any more. I need this TOOL. Yes. It is a tool. Nothing more and nothing less. It is not the end all be all, but it does help. It will restrict the AMOUNT of food you can consume. However. Chocolate cake, cupcakes, ice cream and candy go down very easily. Just as easily as they did before. In fact it is HARDER to get down what you are supposed to eat: chicken breast, broiled seafood, etc. I knew a gal who had too much restriction and was only able to get down ice cream. That is no way to live.

Restriction is done in the doctor's office with a needle that enters your port (much like a cancer patient, you have a port under your skin). You do NOT feel it. They numb the spot and then add saline to make your band tighter. I have 10.5 cc's in a 9 cc band. I am tiny (on the inside). My hubby who has the SAME band has only 6 cc and has the same restriction I do.

You really shouldn't and have no reason to throw up unless YOU are doing something wrong, ie, eating too quickly, drinking with your meals or eating the wrong things.

I love my band. I respect my band. My band saved my life. If you or any others have any further questions, please ask. I am 18 months out and have lost about 160. I have stalled due to eating the wrong things. You can stall and you can gain with the band. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! My operation was a breeze and literally withing 48 hours I was up and about like nothing happened. I healed so quickly and that was with a hernia repair.

I recommend the Realize Band only because that is the one *I* have.

xoxoox
    Bevy
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    P.S. I have an addictive personality. I was addicted to alcohol in my 20's. Like everything else in life, you need to strike a balance. Just because you have that kind of make up, it does not mean you will transfer addictions. I work hard to keep a balance in my life. Not over eating. Not over spending, etc. If you find you have this kind of pre-disposition then you have to recognize it and gain control. I work out, I read, I meditate, I do crafts, I keep myself busy. Balance. Balance is key. For me.

xoxo
  • cownancy
    Options
    I had dinner after I posted and thought of a few new things......
    BIG POINT....your band has to be adjusted until they find the spot that works BEST for you. My doctor is very conservative and only adds a bit of saline at a time because it is better for you to eat than to have problems from it being too tight.

You should ONLY get food "stuck" in your band, meaning you either have to relax and wait for it to go down or you choke the piece of food up....just the stuck bite, not all of your food, IF the band is too tight or you don't follow the eating guidelines. The doctors have you practice the chewing, after surgery diet and slow eating from the first day you come in the office. So, it's very flexible if it isn't working properly for you and you are following the program.

AGAIN, BIG HUGE differences between Roux En Y Bypass and Lap Band. Do not compare them unless you are trying to decide which one is better for you.

If you decide to investigate the band and meet the criteria, you will find out, in great detail, your current health condition due to the tests. There are people in my support group whose lives have been saved due to the pre-screening. One person has a congenital heart problem that was just about to cause fatal complications for her. Another person discovered cancer from tests.

There is also a newer procedure called the gastric sleeve, but I didn't pay much attention to that procedure because it was so new.

Because of my lifelong issues with food, I am currently in therapy to deal with my food issues so that I can better battle the issues that might cause me to regain the weight.

OK, back to work again.....
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've never had a lapband, just done some research on it to see if it would be right for me. I decided against it. I recognize there are benefits to it as my ex-supervisor had a lapband put in because of a horrible wound she had on her leg that wouldn't heal unless she lost weight but she couldn't exercise because of a combination of her weight and the wound - classic Catch-22, no? Her weight loss was one of the most crazy cool things I have ever seen as she seemed to melt from the top down. I had stopped working there for a while and when I went back next... Her face was so amazing to me - she was a pretty lady hiding underneath all those layers and her lapband helped her start to shine.

The only thing I would stress though is that having weightloss surgery is not a quick, easy fix for anyones' weight issues. Like the previous posters who have lapbands have said, this is a tool to help you on your journey. You will most likely lose lots of weight because it shrinks your stomach. You can and most likely will also gain all that weight back if you don't use this tool like the other tools in your arsenal (willpower, healthy foods, exercise, therapy for food issues, etc).
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about lap band surgery but I've known several people to get gastric bypass surgery. One died at 24, and the other two put all the weight back on because they didn't learn how to eat properly to maintain a healthy weight. I also, personally, feel like such a low caloric intake, regardless of doctor's orders, can't be healthy for a person.
  • Fluffy333
    Options
    Nancy! Thank goodness! There you are...I desperately need someone who support the lap band lifestyle. I'm determined to let my band do as it was designed to do...

Thank you for your post.
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery 25 years ago! Almost died when lung collapsed! Have to have B12 shots the rest of my life. Stomach troubles, can't eat certain food. Gained back all the lost weight plus more! Now I'm on MFP. I watch my sugar, refined carbs. I exercise. THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT! I can't stress it enough!!!! No to surgery!
  • Jeliica
    Jeliica Posts: 41
    Options
    Honestly, it really depends on who you are as a person and how willing you are to commit to something like this. People look at WLS has something drastic, but really, for others it's helpful. I can't tell you, I've tried numerous non-sense diets, the watch what you eat, eat under 1000-1200, eat smaller portions, do this, do that. Seriously? If we were all the same and all had the same bodies, then I really doubt we'd all be here. It's honestly how you take care of yourself. I've met people who have issues with their bands, I met a woman, who literally right after surgery, went to smoke and drink and ate ice cream for 2 weeks. Seriously? Her excuse, "Well, it's the only thing that could go down." Uhm, they have yogurt, 100 calories or less that goes down the same way.
    That's why you do extensive testing, you see a psychologist, nutritionist, and you go to meetings. It's better to hear from people who have had it done than from people who think they know or relay what they heard. Every experience is different. Good luck to whatever you decide! :)
  • cownancy
    Options
    Patricia: 25 years ago, the surgery was a completely different animal than it is today. Heck it's different than 5 years ago. You had an open surgery and now it's done laproscopically. Just recently, I hear that the band is being done with a single incision through the naval now to avoid a scar!

It was much more dangerous with many more complications 25 years ago. But, again, it's great for some and not at all for others and the band is NOT Roux En Y Bypass Surgery!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!