input on lap band surgery

Options

Replies

• Thetera
    Thetera Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    the only person i know who has had gastric bypass died recently of a bacterial infection from the surgery spreading to her blood. it was two months after her surgery. it was very sad to see something that made her so happy turn out so badly. not saying this will definitely happen, but it is something to think about. there are a lot of risks to think about when considering surgery. i had seen a few "almost died" on here... but i just thought someone should remind people that death is a risk. No i've never had the lap band surgery, but the person i know who did isn't alive to post her results.
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have had a less than peachy road with my Lap Band, because of outlying issues. The band itself is amazing and is doing exactly what it is intended to do. This is a tool, its not a magic wand, its not going to bipitty boppity boo you into health or a size 6. Unless you have a band, giving an opinion on what others experience is, is pretty null and void. Anyone can make an excuse for something not working, anyone can blame something else other than themselves. The band works, if you use it the way its intended to be used. If anyone wants information, or some insight into my story please feel free to message me. I will be open, honest and straight forward about my experience.
  • withtheband
    Options
    Wanted to add my 2 cents to the post. I was banded December 2009 and never got a fill till last week due to various financial, insurance, and employment issues. Gained 60+ pounds in the meantime.

I'm now 5 days in to being filled and so far I definitely feel full on less food. It's nice to see this thing may actually work with a fill.
    I'm hopeful and glad to find more friends on MFP who have a band too.

thanks
  • andreanoly
    Options
    I was a "fill" RN for a bariatric surgeon for a year and from that experience, I would not recommend a lap band. I saw way too many issues with slipped bands, was called in for emergent unfills (for people that got something "stuck") literally every day that I was on call. The band is a tool, and far too many people that I saw tried to use it as a "be all end all". The vast majority of my patients did not exercise at all either.
  • andreanoly
    Options
    I forgot to add. My bariatric surgeon told me that only 3-5% of morbidly obese people are able to lose their weight without surgical intervention. You know what this FORMERLY morbidly obese person who lost weight by exericising and cutting the crap from my diet says to that? Kiss my *kitten* Dr. N! So glad I did NOT get that lap band!
  • los4825
    Options
    former lap-bander...here is my opinion I wrote on another lap-band post a couple of months ago....

I can only speak from my experience. I had the lap band done 2 years ago and totally regret it. I only lost 40 lbs in the first year and a half and actually started gaining weight back. It never makes you feel full. Only makes you feel like you can't swallow your food and it gets stuck right by your throat. So you find ways to cheat. And yes there are plenty of ways.

So one day I finally woke up and decided that I was going to do this the right way. I began eating every 3 hours and working out for 2 hours a day. What are my results??? 90 lbs lost in 7 months. I now have it tweaked to only working out 1 hour a day and even though I haven't lost any weight in a month, I did lose 2% body fat (gained muscle). I am now down to 19% body fat.

Midway thru my weight loss I went to my doctor to ask him to remove the liquid from my band so I could eat normally. Even though he saw my huge weight loss he didn't want to, but I insisted and he did. 3 months later I went for my follow up and had lost 30 more lbs. Now I am going to have the band removed.

If you want to talk more about the surgery or what I did, feel free to message me.

Update: Insurance just approved the removal, getting it done next month! :-)
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    My co worked did it several years ago before I knew her... But she said she gain some weight back, like 2 sizes at most. But after 5 years she had to take it out, since it cased her some other problems ( she did not specified which one) and she did gain all the weigh back plus more....However now she is doing it old fashion way (diet, fitness) and now she looks better and better ! So now she is very against it . Unless you're morbidly obese, which she never was....
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery 25 years ago! Almost died when lung collapsed! Have to have B12 shots the rest of my life. Stomach troubles, can't eat certain food. Gained back all the lost weight plus more! Now I'm on MFP. I watch my sugar, refined carbs. I exercise. THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT! I can't stress it enough!!!! No to surgery!

Procedures have come a looooong way since the surgeries they were doing 25 years ago..

I was banded 20/08/08. I have lost over 200lbs. As many people have said it is a TOOL to help you on the way.

It will not do the work for you.

You have to make good food choices, exercise, and basically follow the rules that they set out for you regarding how and what to eat. Generally speaking most foods are edible, the things most people have issues with are dry foods, in particular bread, and carbs that go 'sticky' such as rice.

As with anything, it will work for some people and not for others. I am one of those who has lost the weight, and has maintained it.. gone from a size 26/28 to size 6. yeah, there is loose skin, but that is not the fault of the band.. it is my fault for letting myself get so large.. my size stretched my skin and I will eventually need surgery to correct it. I had a surgeon who has a dietician and nutritionist as part of their team, and they work with you to reeducate you about how to eat etc etc.

I have had some complications with my band, but with support from my surgeon and his team I have got through them all. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!!
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    Just wanted to add something. I have seen quite a few people over time telling stories about people who died soon after lap band surgery because of complications.. infection.. whatever.

This outcome so soon after surgery rarely has anything to do with the Lap Band itself . Complications/Infection, and let's face it, death, are risks of ANY surgery. Any time you let someone cut you open you expose yourself to the risks of complications and death.

This is particularly true when the patient is Obese. The extra weight is a risk factor that you have to consider.

I recently heard a story about a person who died after lap band surgery. It was presented on the news as the person dying because of the band, when really what had happened was the surgeon had nicked the persons bowel. The leakage caused infection and this infection killed the patiend.. NOT the band.

Just wanted to say, don't believe every horror story you hear about the band.
  • Dawn1084
    Options
    I have a question, I have no intention of getting this surgery or any weight loss surgery but I had thought about talking to my mother about getting it a few times so that is why I read this whole thread. It seems like people that have WLS done still need to follow a low calorie diet and exercise .......so I guess my question is ......whats the point? I mean my mother has a hard time following a low calorie diet and I would assume that most people that NEED to have WLS have that same problem or they would not be overweight to begin with. Right? I read the comments about how if you are going to have this done then you need to really commit to eating better and exercising and you have to be serious about it, but if you really commit to diet and exercise and become serious about it then why not just do it without the surgery? I am totally not try to knock anyone I really am sincerely trying to understand why someone (who is not morbidly obese or with medical problems) would do this because I really had thought of speaking to my mother about it and I would not want to encourage her to do something that would either not work for her or would harm her in any way.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There is a recurring theme from the people who have had the surgery: No matter whether you have the surgery or not, you MUST change the way you eat and begin to exercise. Personally, if I have to change my eating habits and exercise anyway, I'd rather do it without surgery; sounds like you'd get similar results. From what I've heard and read, improper eating habits can be dangerous after a surgery like that.

This is a very personal decision, and you should talk to lots of people who have had the surgery and ask lots of questions. Find some online support groups and even some face-to-face support groups and talk to those folks. Whatever you decide, though, it's clear you will HAVE to change your eating habits. Based on everything people have said who have had the surgery, this is crucial to the success of the surgery. And make sure you have the full support of your family and friends, too...you'll need it!
  • kmbrooks15
    Options

I think the best thing for those considering any weight loss surgery is to commit to a year of consistent diet and exercise first. If after that you still have over 100 lbs to lose, look at adding surgery to your plan.

In that first year you will learn a lot about calories, portion sizes, nutrition, etc., and hopefully experience some measure of success. But most of all, that year will give you a set of habits that will help you maintain whatever weight you lose from the surgery.

This is an excellent idea! They should make this a requirement before you are allowed to have the surgery. That way you know whether you can maintain the lifestyle necessary to make the surgery a success. Of course, the docs probably won't do that, because people would lose on their own and realize they don't need the surgery, putting the docs out of business!
  • deedeefelldown
    deedeefelldown Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery in 2008. I initially lost 65 pounds but have since gained back 40 of those pounds. I wouldn't call the surgery a failure but would say that I failed the band. I allowed myself to go back to my old eating patterns and stopped exercising. Although I have gained back the majority of my weight I would say that the band still helps because it limits the amount of food I can eat. Unfortunately that doesn't stop me from eating garbage and that's my downfall. The band is a tool and wont work unless you use it like you're supposed to. I realize that I need counseling to help me succeed because there is a lot more going on for me than greed. For me food is like a drug and I need someone to help me overcome my addiction.
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    I have a question, I have no intention of getting this surgery or any weight loss surgery but I had thought about talking to my mother about getting it a few times so that is why I read this whole thread. It seems like people that have WLS done still need to follow a low calorie diet and exercise .......so I guess my question is ......whats the point? I mean my mother has a hard time following a low calorie diet and I would assume that most people that NEED to have WLS have that same problem or they would not be overweight to begin with. Right? I read the comments about how if you are going to have this done then you need to really commit to eating better and exercising and you have to be serious about it, but if you really commit to diet and exercise and become serious about it then why not just do it without the surgery? I am totally not try to knock anyone I really am sincerely trying to understand why someone (who is not morbidly obese or with medical problems) would do this because I really had thought of speaking to my mother about it and I would not want to encourage her to do something that would either not work for her or would harm her in any way.

Basically, it helps you if you are one of these people who has problems sticking to a low calorie diet.

It limits the amount of food you can take in in one sitting.

It (for most people) makes you feel fuller for longer, so you don't get hungry on the smaller amounts of food and dont have to eat as often.

It limits certain types of foods you can eat.. in particular white carbs like breads, rice and a lot of potato stuff as well which can help with weight loss.

For me, it was the only way I could lose weight. I did Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, was training with a PT several days a week.. and in total working out 6 days a week up to 2 hours a day. Over a 1 year period I only lost about 8lbs.. this was very disheartening to me as I had to lose about 200lbs. Some of the problem for me was underlying endocrine issues (Hypothyroid and Polycystic Ovaries). After trying for years and years many different ways to lose weight, including Duramine (which was scary stuff), the band was my last resort.

I am an advocate of the band..I think for many people as long as you stick to the rules it can work.. but I think it should be, as in my case, a last resort after you have tried everything else.
  • ablake80
    ablake80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I think the best thing for those considering any weight loss surgery is to commit to a year of consistent diet and exercise first. If after that you still have over 100 lbs to lose, look at adding surgery to your plan.

In that first year you will learn a lot about calories, portion sizes, nutrition, etc., and hopefully experience some measure of success. But most of all, that year will give you a set of habits that will help you maintain whatever weight you lose from the surgery.

This is an excellent idea! They should make this a requirement before you are allowed to have the surgery. That way you know whether you can maintain the lifestyle necessary to make the surgery a success. Of course, the docs probably won't do that, because people would lose on their own and realize they don't need the surgery, putting the docs out of business!

FYI --- I know plenty of WLS patients who had to go through a pre-diet/exercise regime for at least 6 months prior to surgery, along with nutrition counseling, etc to even get the surgery approved. Its not like you walk in the door and bam, surgery! They make them attempt to lose the weight prior too...

Its all different for each person.

AGAIN, its a tool.

Research, research, research... Its great if you don't want an invasive surgery. If it doesn't work for you, you can have it removed and your stomach goes back to what it was like. The lapband really isn't for a person who has binge habits. Because as others mentioned, you can still sabotage yourself.

I've been banded for almost 2 years... I initial lost 30lbs, then had other medical issues not related to the band 4 months out. After a year of resolving those... I went back to getting fills and trying to get a good spot. It took me 18 months for it to click in my head that I WAS MY OWN WORST ENEMY. Since then, back on track and losing. And in fact just had a fill done. Eating less and feeling fuller for longer periods of time.

BTW...... no issues after surgery at all. Up and walking around, went back to work within a few days.

Again, its a tool..... just like other weight loss methods used.
  • kmbrooks15
    Options

FYI --- I know plenty of WLS patients who had to go through a pre-diet/exercise regime for at least 6 months prior to surgery, along with nutrition counseling, etc to even get the surgery approved. Its not like you walk in the door and bam, surgery! They make them attempt to lose the weight prior too...

Its all different for each person.

AGAIN, its a tool.

Research, research, research... Its great if you don't want an invasive surgery. If it doesn't work for you, you can have it removed and your stomach goes back to what it was like. The lapband really isn't for a person who has binge habits. Because as others mentioned, you can still sabotage yourself.

I've been banded for almost 2 years... I initial lost 30lbs, then had other medical issues not related to the band 4 months out. After a year of resolving those... I went back to getting fills and trying to get a good spot. It took me 18 months for it to click in my head that I WAS MY OWN WORST ENEMY. Since then, back on track and losing. And in fact just had a fill done. Eating less and feeling fuller for longer periods of time.

BTW...... no issues after surgery at all. Up and walking around, went back to work within a few days.

Again, its a tool..... just like other weight loss methods used.

It's good to know they do some pre-counseling. I think for me, 6 months would not be enough to see if I could really maintain. I can do anything for 6 months. A full year would be a better test for me, personally. Of course, personally, I'd rather avoid surgery in the first place! Not really fond of going under anesthesia...makes me sick as a dog!

I'm glad it's worked for some people. I'm just leery of things like this when I can do it on my own if I just find the discipline to do it (that's the hard part). The OP should definitely do extensive research before deciding. I also think these weight loss surgeries should be reserved for people with at least 100 pounds to lose. And as you said, it's a tool; people have to be willing to change their lifestyle and stick to it for it to work.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I personally know 3 people that have had it done. They all lost a substantial amount of weight. One has put half back on. One has gained it all back plus some. And one had really bad complications, has gained all the weight back and still has issues with "dumping"
  • CNVH
    CNVH Posts: 3
    Options
    I didn't have the lap band, but I did have the full-on Roux en Y gastric bypass in 12/2006. Best decision I ever made, hands-down, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I started off at 325 lbs., and at 5'3", I was starting to get some serious obesity-related complications. Joint pain made exercise difficult, diabetes/HBP/heart disease runs in my family, and it came down to a question of, spend the rest of my life yo-yo dieting, or make a drastic change and "nip things in the bud," so to speak.

I didn't have any sort of complications ande was able to get down to about 198 lbs.-- which still seems really heavy, but for me, I felt amazing-- was out of plus-size clothes, no more joint pain, was exercising regularly, etc., etc. Unfortunately, I quit smoking 2 years ago and slowly but surely, the healthy eating habits declined and I started regaining weight.

With a successful bypass or lap band, it WILL help the weight come off quickly for the first 6 months or so, but after that, it gradually levels out the playing field to where you're eventually on par with everyone else out there... So WHY would anyone bother having the surgery? For me, I can't reliably lose weight unless I exercise, and at 325 lbs,, my exercise options were limited. Getting a lot of weight off quickly allowed me to get UP and get MOVING and do what needed to be done to keep the weight off.

I'm still limited in the quantities of food I can eat, and that will always be the case. However, one can easily "cheat" the tool by eating more often than necessary, drinking liquids with meals (which allows the food to pass through more quickly, thus negating any sense of fullness), both of which I've been doing. So I need to get myself back on track with the "Rules of the Pouch," so to speak. (Which is why I'm here on MFP!)
  • deaditty
    Options
    I have had it..... My story with it is an extreme case. I got staph during surgery when they first put it the band in. It was then removed and a 2nd band was put in. That band ended up slipping and I had to have it removed also. It worked great! I lost 75lbs very quickly. Ofcourse once the band was taken out I gained it all back plus some. It does force you to have portion control. You cannot eat a lot of food at a time you will be in a lot of pain! You learn pretty quick what you can and cannot eat. However, it does not prevent you from eating bad things like ice cream and milkshakes and sweet tea and other high calorie drinks. My mom also had the lap band. She and I got them on the same day. She eventually had to have hers removed as well. The surgeon in our area has found that most people should have an esophogeal wrap done prior to having the band. This prevents heartburn/GERD. Would I have it done again. Probably if it didn't cost so much. But......even though for some it can be a great fix to being over weight it's not 100% effective as both me and my mom had to have ours taken out and we are right back to having to watch what we eat and excercise. Yes the band can be a great tool to help you lose weight but you have to decide in your head that you are ready to do whatever it takes to lose weight and honestly I think if you do that then you can acheive your goals and stay at your goal. I'm right back at almost 300lbs trying to get the weight off. I've just started back trying to do right and with my husbands help hopefully this time I can lose the weight and keep it off. Please feel free to contact me through this website if you have any questions about lap band.
  • niciivey
    niciivey Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was seriously going to do the surgery up until a couple months ago. I went to all the classes and appointments, and all that was left to do was schedule the surgery, and I decided not to do it. I decided this because I had started using MFP and lost 4lbs the first week, 6lbs the next, and it just kept getting better. I was down 21lbs (despite what my ticker says) without even having to get the surgery.

With the lapband, you lose 1-2 lbs a week on average, and I was able to lose way more than that on my own, so I did not think that it was worth the risks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!