What am I doing wrong??

Options
2»

Replies

• TiffanyA2008
    Options
    Losing weight takes time. Which is actually a great thing (in my opinion) These extra pounds you're working on losing didn't just appear overnight so they are definitely not going to disappear overnight. Losing weight takes time and the more slowly you're losing weight, the better. You're more than likely to keep the weight off when you're losing it slowly.

My advice is to just take things slowly and not to rush things. Definitely make sure that you're using your calories wisely. Eating the right kind of calories and drinking lots and lots of water to help keep your system flushed. It was mentioned already that you should eat 5 to 6 meals a day, and it is true. Eating more frequent and smaller meals helps to keep your metabolism on track. Just give yourself more time. Let your body adjust to these new changes that you're doing to it.

I wish you the best of luck!!
  • carlobuff
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You are eating wholesome. I see that you have no water recorded.
    Are you drinking any water.? When you eat a lot of fiber, you have to wash it out
    Check with your doctor and let him/her advise or see a nutrionist.
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    If you're eating GI diet, I would really recommend doing low GL diet. I started doing low GI, but then was recommended to try low GL instead, since it allows for more foods choices, and it takes into consideration the food amount.

I'll take a look at your food diary to see what you've been eating. You can friend me if you want, it's always nice to have a support group if you're doing the same type of diet. I'd be more than happy to share tips I've learned, and info I'm learning from the book I'm reading right now "The Low GL-Diet Bible". It's a really good read.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey. I understand the frustration and the yo-yo dieting. I have been doing it all my life and being a tall girl as well (5'11"), I always feel over weight and gross compared to my small, petite friends.
    I have been doing this for about 3-4 weeks now and have lost 5 lbs. The trick is to make sure you eat all of your calories. I actually suggest eating a bit more and then work out to go back to your goal of 1200. You need the nutrition and energy from the food to keep your body going. Water is a great thing... drink it during the day.. but do not water fast. You are robbing your body of the essential vitamins and nutrients it needs to function properly.
    Don't weight yourself for a few weeks. Let your body get used to the new healthy lifestyle. I promise.. it will come off.
    My #1 suggestion is to focus on being healthy. Don't think of weight. Think of a long, happy life. Eat raw fruits and veggies, whole grains, fish, lean protien. Try to avoid processed foods and anything white (flour, sugar, breads, rice, pasta...). Switch that for whole wheat pastas, brown rice and sweet potatoes! Health is the #1 most important thing we have... without it, we have nothing!
    Once you get healthy, you will be happier and the weight will fall off!!! Just remember that nothing happens overnight!

Keep you spirits up and if you need any support and anyone to talk to... I'm here! :flowerforyou:
  • Lelafin
    Lelafin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much everyone!! You are VERY encouraging... I'm so happy I found my fitness pal :) I will experiment with upping my calories since I think trying to restrict them to as low as 1200 is probably too little for someone of my height and activity. Also, I'm going to *try* to go 2 weeks without looking at the scale. I'll put it on my calendar as an event to work up to... and take measurements every month, not every 3 days lol! I have to keep telling myself that this takes time. I need to be gentle with myself.

Again, thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the feedback!
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much everyone!! You are VERY encouraging... I'm so happy I found my fitness pal :) I will experiment with upping my calories since I think trying to restrict them to as low as 1200 is probably too little for someone of my height and activity. Also, I'm going to *try* to go 2 weeks without looking at the scale. I'll put it on my calendar as an event to work up to... and take measurements every month, not every 3 days lol! I have to keep telling myself that this takes time. I need to be gentle with myself.

Again, thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the feedback!

Big thumbs up!
  • busmirna
    Options
    I changed my eating habits and started exercising about an hour a day on an elliptical machine. I was 171 lbs when I started, and I am only 5'1" so it's too much weight for my height. I have been going up and down 2-3 lbs. I am at 163 lbs now and I so want to hit the 150s. I am now doing 80-90 minutes of cardio a day and staying below my calorie intake of 1200 a day. I have lost about 3 inches off my thighs, my regular sz10 jeans fit me better than ever!! But I think I am at that so called "Plateau" and it's so fraustrating. I can understand you for what you're going through. All I can say is that maybe try to change your exercise routine. That's what I am about to do. See our bodies are so smart, once you do an exercise for a period of time, it starts to get used to it and it finds ways of feeling confortable and the effect starts diminishing.

Be patient!!! I myself tend to lose motivation faster then a heart beat. But let's not lose it just yet. You're still barely starting. Give it some time. Eat well and keep exercising!! We can do it!
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    Are you working out as well as eating healthy? What types of foods are you eating? I200 calories seem too low for your body?!? Anyways you should be working out,...make sure to sleep enough for your body to rejuvenate, and eat high fiber foods! Stay away from a lot of fruit...it is actually fattening because of all of the sugar! Fresh veggies are your best bet! I've lost 32 lbs in 6weeks, but I am very strict, and never miss my classes or lifting for the week! I was anorexic and bul. for years also, so my guess is you feel how I do...guilty whenever you eat, and after you eat your regret putting it in your mouth...I still think about things like that, but I just remember how I felt back then...I was 30 lbs underweight, and cold, and sick, and it sucked!! I have underlying issues, and that could be a part of your problem too! I used to go to extremes...obviously by gainig 200 lbs! Definatly use mfp for support, and maybe find support at your gym (personal trainer, new friend,,,something!!) Stick with it, don't give up!!!!
  • KKOLB1
    KKOLB1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nothing works the same for two people. you need to find what works for your body. Old fashioned eating RIGHT & exercise are the way to do it. You need to eat more than 1200 calories and more frequently to keep your metabolism moving. Try to eat whole grains & a lot of fruits/veggies along with protein. Eat whatever your BMR is usually just make sure they're the right choices & not junk. QUality vs. quantity.