Committing to morning workouts!

Options
Tomorrow is the day that I will start working out before work! I've never been able to do this before, but I am resolved. I will wake up at 6:30 tomorrow (instead of my usual 7:30). Wish me luck! -YP

Replies

• yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is the day that I will start working out before work! I've never been able to do this before, but I am resolved. I will wake up at 6:30 tomorrow (instead of my usual 7:30). Wish me luck! -YP
  • telenagikinetic
    Options
    Good luck! It feels really good working out in the morning. You're refreshed, and full of energy--not to mention you feel good about yourself being able to work out in the morning! This is the difference between lazy people and people who really want to take care of themselves.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i go in the morn about 45 min m-f and lunch 30 min m-f
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It feels really good working out in the morning. You're refreshed, and full of energy--not to mention you feel good about yourself being able to work out in the morning! This is the difference between lazy people and people who really want to take care of themselves.

Hey I resent that! :tongue: I cannot get my *kitten* up early enough to work out. I have to leave for work by 6:15 at the LATEST. But I get out at 330, so I'm at home after an hour's workout by 530. Much better. Or, I workout in the middle of my day if i get to work early.

But I DO applaud anyone who can get their butts out of bed in time for a good workout! If I worked later, I would probably do that too! :drinker:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts are supposed to be the most effective. Good luck and rise and shine!
  • jelee18
    Options
    30 mins into your workout take note of how you feel and try to remember that the next day when you're struggling to get out of bed. It will not come easy, but you have to force yourself. Guarenteed you'll be glad you did once you're mid-workout!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,360 Member
    Options
    I am so not a morning person, but my entire day goes much better when I get up and do my workout! Not to say some days, I don't oversleep, but 90% of the time my WO are in the morning.

You can do it! It takes, what, 21 time of doing something to make it a habit.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    Some people are just not comfortable working out that early. If they aren't awake enough to really have successful workout than it isn't really benefiting them is it? It does not mean they are lazy they just aren't morning people. Some people have more success working out at night. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think there is. I for one know I'd be better off working out at night than trying to force myself to work out that early in the morning. It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness, people are just different.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I love morning workouts! After reading your post and watching biggest loser, I'm motivated. Granted because of all the snow I'll need to get up at 4:30, I AM GOING TOMORROW MORNING!! I went over my cals today by about 1000 and that stinks. We got a TON of snow, but I don't think enough for a snow day :grumble: BUT, I'm going to run 5miles on the treadmill tomorrow and be done with my day at 4:30 pm instead of 6:30 and know that I put in a full day!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I tried and pooped out. I just dont have the energy in the morning.

About 3 years ago I went to the gym with my buddy at 5 am 5 straight days in a row. I lost 3 pounds and had more energy than I have ever had in my life (cept when I was 2 !)

I wish you luck in your endeaver!! Just promise you will do it for at least 3 times before giving up!

I am going to try again...tomorrow morning!! :flowerforyou:

(and I am ANYTHING but lazy:wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    hello there beautiful :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm not lazy. :frown: I just have to work until 10PM most nights so going to bed at 11 and waking up at 5 isn't an option for me. I used to work out in the AM when I had time. Now my free time is between school and work. I haven't seen a difference in weight loss between AM and PM workouts, but my strength is much improved in the afternoon after I've eaten. The AM is only appropriate for cardio for me.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning. It's the only time that I can schedule that doesn't get interrupted by something else. If I plan to work out in the afternoon or evening, something always comes up. I started doing it over a year ago when the time changed in the fall. I found myself waking up at the same old time but I would just lay there staring at the clock. Why not get up and make the most of that time? As a result, my stress level and mental attitude improved tremendously. I know my CV health is better but that's really secondary to my mental health.

Good Luck! You'll have days when it's hard to drag yourself out of bed, but you'll be glad you did for the rest of the day.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning. It's the only time that I can schedule that doesn't get interrupted by something else. If I plan to work out in the afternoon or evening, something always comes up. I started doing it over a year ago when the time changed in the fall. I found myself waking up at the same old time but I would just lay there staring at the clock. Why not get up and make the most of that time? As a result, my stress level and mental attitude improved tremendously. I know my CV health is better but that's really secondary to my mental health.

Good Luck! You'll have days when it's hard to drag yourself out of bed, but you'll be glad you did for the rest of the day.
    Yep I agree! If I dont get it done before about 10am, chances are it isnt going to get done that day. I do need to be up for a few hours and have my half cup of coffee though before working out. I cant jump right out of bed into intense cardio!:noway: But Im always proud and feeling much better the rest of the day when Im done:flowerforyou:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Well, my friends... I woke up at 7:15... And I ...
    Didn't go to the gym. :embarassed:

BUT!

I canceled a drink date tonight so that I can go to the gym after work!
    ARRGH! I'll try again tomorrow... SO hard!

I really admire all of you who do push yourselves to get up in the morning.
    I end up watching TV until 1am and wanting to sleep until 8:30. :grumble:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Well, my friends... I woke up at 7:15... And I ...
    Didn't go to the gym. :embarassed:

BUT!

I canceled a drink date tonight so that I can go to the gym after work!
    ARRGH! I'll try again tomorrow... SO hard!

I really admire all of you who do push yourselves to get up in the morning.
    I end up watching TV until 1am and wanting to sleep until 8:30. :grumble:

i also find it really challenging to do workouts in the morning... so usually I don't. The only reason I am right now is because I'm on Christmas holidays out of school and so I workout at like 11 am. Otherwise, I normally workout in the evening. I find I"m not hydrated or have the energy to work out in the morning. Some people do it great and if that's one of your goals, that's awesome. Best of luck to you tomorrow :smile:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I've just started P90x again, and I get up at 5am every morning to work out for an hour. Love it! If I don't get to bed at a decent time the night before I skip and workout when I get home from work. You can't forget that sleep is just as important to loosing weight and staying healthy, as exercise is! :drinker:
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I started Am workouts about 2 years ago and it took about a month to adjust but after that I had so much more energy through out the day. I have a new job that involves a commute and I started working out after work and it just threw off my whole routine. I went back to mornings and even though that alarm clock comes sooner sometimes it is worth it. When you are done with work you can go about your business and not rush home to work out. LOVE IT!!!
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Good for you!

I am not a morning person so I've been having a really hard time with the morning workouts but really if that's the best time to do it (or in my case th eonly time I can get in) then you just gotta push through!

:happy: Let us know how you get along!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Morning work out is the best. By 8 in the morning you're already more successful than many people are all day.

I actually sleep in my workout clothes.

But the key is that when the alarm goes off just get up and don't think until you have your shoes tied. Once you think, "Oh, i'm really tired, I'll just take a day off and start again tomorrow" you've lost the battle. I also pack my clothes for work the night before and put them in my car. I really hate doing the "walk of shame" to go retreve the bag from the car if I wimp out and don't go to the gym.

Good luck.