How has prozac affected your weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• MLockeven
    Options
    I took Celexa for quite some time and didn't have any weight gain or loss. With most medications, the side effects differ from one person to another, so someone saying to "never take" a certain medication is an unfair statement. You can't really know how a drug will affect you until you try it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Prozac actually kills my appetite and I have to remind myself to eat. It also gives me energy to work out and makes me want to take care of myself.
  • maebellene
    maebellene Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went on Fluoxetine two years ago. The doctor started me on 20mg and after a month bumped it up to 40mg. I was on it for six months and while I was on it I lost 30 pounds and quit smoking completely. I noticed that my basal temperature was higher while taking it ( which increases metabolism) and it seemed like I had energy, Looking back I think the energy stemmed from the medicine helping my brain not look at tasks negatively but just as something that needed to get done and I was happy to do it.

Between my raised basal temperature and moving around more, the weight came off fairly easy. It is my understanding that Fluoxetine also gets rid of habitual problems. I'm guessing that's why I was able to quit smoking and only eat when I was genuinely hungry.

My doctor just started me on 20mgs again a few days ago for some issues that had aided in me gaining almost 100 pounds. If side effects are low he will boost the dose to 40mg in two weeks. I will Check in and reply to my post in a month and let you all know if the Fluoxetine helps with weight loss this time around.
  • Taylorade
    Options
    I began taking Prozac four days ago, and yesterday was the first day that I just did not care to eat anything. I didn't even feel hungry after only eating breakfast, but I'm told this side effect will subside after a few weeks. Normally I am all about food and I am a little overweight. Any advice on how to deal with it?