Differences between the north and the south.

Options
13»

Replies

123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

I lived in Michigan during the winter of 2008-2009, and I worked at a coffee shop, and it used to annoy me like crazy when people would ask "Got pop?" I couldn't understand them. They said it so fast, "GOTPOP!"

..and it doesn't bother you that everyone down south calls everything Coke.....even when it's a Pepsi product?

**EDIT**

My bad, your from FL....they don't do that there. Although it's about as south as you can get, I don't count most of FL as a "southern" state. The Northern bits I do...but the rest, not so much. I've lived there too ;P
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    East coast - soda West coast - pop
    If you ask for a soda on the West coast,
    they will tell you they don't make them.
    East coast - frappe West coast - shake
    If you go East and ask for a Vanilla shake,
    you will be very disappointed. On
    the West coast, if you ask for a frappe,
    no one will know what you are talking about.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    oooh cherry co-coler

cherry coca cola!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    *Ya'll.*

I live in Texas but born/raised in Chicago and I can't stand it. I say "you guys" and people freak the eff out. One time this chick said to me, "I'm not a guy", I just rolled my eyes but really I want to tell her to stfu because she was an effing reknob.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I'm from Georgia and we say kitty-corner. And any soda is a Co-Cola. Never heard anyone say WARSH back home, except my mom who is from California....don't know were she picked that up. For the life of me when I say toilet or boil...it comes out without the i...So it is TOY-LET and BOL. Confuses the heck out of people.

I thought Trader Joe's was from California. I did not even know that they had them outside of Cali, until I joined this site...of course I am assuming you meant the grocery store and not some trader named Joe.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    By the way, it's "Lose-iana" not "Louise-iana" and "Nah-Lins", not "New Or-leens."

Mildly disagree (and, yes, I'm from New Orleans).

It should be "lou-EE-zee-AN-nuh". Can't stand when people say "Lose-iana". :explode:

But, yeah, "new Or-Leens" drives me crazy! :laugh:
  • Marylovell
    Marylovell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nods. I love this! My friends in Louisiana looked at me like I had three heads the first time I asked if we were going to "make a run to the Packie" :)
  • Marylovell
    Marylovell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh! And when I lived in Florida, everyone had INsurance. (I had formerly worked at an InSURance company when I was first out of school.) I still fight with my husband about this.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    For some bizarre reason, people in Westchester NY(Yonkers mostly) call a hero sandwich a "wedge".
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    How about being courteous or polite?

I was shocked when I was up in PA once (I'm from TX) and the person in front of me (we were going to the mall) just let the door close right in my face. It happened several times while I was up there. Here, people will usually hold the door for you and say thank you if you hold it for them. Up in PA, I didn't get any of that sort of politeness from people. Not even from the person I'd gone to visit. And the whole time, I was thinking, WTF, RUDE! :laugh:

See, I'm the opposite. I find people up north, at least the areas I've been, to be much nicer. Honestly, some of the nicest, most polite people I've encountered, especially in hospitality places, were in New Jersey! haha. Down south, the whole "southern hospitality" thing is completely lost on me...the most "southern" people who claim to be all about their "hospitality" only seem to offer it if you look like you've just went "muddin'" or "wrassled" a few pigs, or participated in a rodeo. :tongue:

I never did understand the supper thing, either. "Supper" to me is non-existant. I eat breakfast, then lunch, then dinner. Anything in-between or after those is a snack.

i loved the people i have encountered up north and I need you to come back down to the south! dont let a few jerks be the poster children for southerners. Fort Worth Texas has some of the nicest people you have ever met and if they treat you like crap let me know! lol

I am down south. :tongue: Never been to Texas, though, but my cousin, who is as un-Southern as you can get, loves living in Texas. I think he lives in Houston.:smile:

My parents definitely say "chester drawers." Another one I didn't pick up on.

123456654321--What part of Florida did you live in? I grew up in Tampa, and now I live in a REALLY small hick town about 20 minutes from Tampa. I've been all over South Florida and North Florida, and I've never heard people call all sodas coke, unless it was, of course, a coke. I've actually traveled all over the South, and have never heard people call every soda "coke," either. This is a completely new one to me.

Gwen--none of my California friends call soda, and I have quite a few friends living there/from there. In fact, most of the ones I know hate it when people say "pop." :tongue: Also, east coast frappe, west coast shake? The only thing people here call frappes are those crappy mcdonalds "drinks," and the people who love them who try to order a FRAPPUCCINO from Starbucks, should they decide to step up their coffee game. A shake is a milkshake, here.

This is all proof that everyone, everywhere, is different. :laugh:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    As for the I being lost in toilet, my mother grew up in Texas and has a southern drawl, so she loses the I...therefore, I do too. I cannot say toilet right, I think it sounds so hoity toity when I say it with the I. It comes out like "toll-it". So I'll tell my boyfriend we're out of "toll-it" paper, and he'll say, you mean toilet paper? :laugh: I also say fire like fahr. Oil is still oil though, haha.