How to break up with him...?

Options
I'm evil for doing this on a website, but I need help (ideas) on how to break up with my boyfriend.

Now, before you go judging me, let me explain myself. He and I have only been a couple for 3 days. We've been dating for about a month prior. He's nice & funny - which I really like :) HOWEVER:

1. he's a pothead (which I actually wouldn't mind at all except for the fact that he asked to borrow money from me to purchase it.)
2. he asked to borrow money from me. already.
3. he's my coworker...and he's constantly late to work (irresponsible?)
4. he hardly talks to me at work. I understand, because I wanted to keep this relationship on the DL for now, but he practically ignores me...
5. he is so obviously deeply scarred by all the women who have cheated and lied to him, and I'm afraid he's gonna make me pay for it

He's not a bad guy, he's just hurt. I knew all of this before I agreed to be his girlfriend but I have my own damn issues to work out. I know I should have said no. Shoulda Woulda Coulda. But...now what? How do I let him down easy? I don't want to hurt him anymore :(

Also, please don't be so mean to me. I made a mistake, and I feel terrible. I just need help. I really do care for him, but I'm just trying to avoid huge heartbreak because even now he has all the power to hurt me.

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bring all these issues up with him..be honest if you really care for him, but maybe agree to remain friends ?? good luck:flowerforyou:
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Communication. Talk to him. Tell him everything you said here...but say it nicely. Don't get defensive, or angry. I will never understand why people are so scared to communicate with each other over stuff like this. It may be a hard thing to do, but it is the best way to do it. Relationships cannot survive (or end) without communication.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    What she said!
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Be honest with him. Tell him how much you care but what scares you about being with him. Be strong and firm, but be kind. But don't give him a line. Be honest. You both deserve that.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Tell him the time isn't right. Hope to remain friends and maybe down the line when he grows up (you dont say this part haha), you two can try again.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    if you don't mind me asking, what attracted you to him in the first place? (no need to respond, just something to ask and answer for yourself).

as for 'how' to break up?

simple.

I don't want to go out with you anymore. I don't think we're a 'right' fit in this kind of relationship. Perhaps we'd be better off as friends.

If he isn't mature enough to deal with this, chances are he isn't mature to deal with much else you might have to say.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Did you not know these facts while dating?????
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't think we're a 'right' fit in this kind of relationship. Perhaps we'd be better off as friends.

That's perfect....

You really don't owe him much this early in the game. Especially not money *LOL* Can't believe he asked. Use it as a lesson and move along :)

And whatever you do - do not text or email a break-up for crumb sake!
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I don't think we're a 'right' fit in this kind of relationship. Perhaps we'd be better off as friends.

That's perfect....

You really don't owe him much this early in the game. Especially not money *LOL* Can't believe he asked. Use it as a lesson and move along :)

And whatever you do - do not text or email a break-up for crumb sake!

perfect I agree 100%
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Did you not know these facts while dating?????

I admit I'm really in no position to be in a relationship right now. I have my own issues to work out, but now I have to deal with what I've done.
  • caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You're making the right choice by breaking it off with him, especially so early into the relationship before anymore attachments are made. Break-up with him on a day that you won't see each other at work for a few days. That way the initial sting will start to have worn off before you have to face each other for 8 hours straight. Like others have said, explain it all to him the way you just did us. Don't lie or leave any half-truths lingering just to spare his feelings. If you lie or give him reasons other than what you really feel, he will eventually find out and be even more hurt. Be prepared for him to be mean or try to make you feel guilty, but stand your ground.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    It's not me it's you!
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    As to what attracted me to him? He's got the best sense of humor, cute smile, and...wait for it...he's a bad boy. Yep.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    if you don't mind me asking, what attracted you to him in the first place? (no need to respond, just something to ask and answer for yourself).

as for 'how' to break up?

simple.

I don't want to go out with you anymore. I don't think we're a 'right' fit in this kind of relationship. Perhaps we'd be better off as friends.

If he isn't mature enough to deal with this, chances are he isn't mature to deal with much else you might have to say.

Totally agree. And if it's the right thing to do, it needs to be done... so you just gotta do it!
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    Communications is the only way, Bring up everything you just posted. Sometimes ppl don't know they are doing something wrong until it's communicated to them. These sound like issues that can be worked out, if you want to work them out, and come to a compromise; but if your just not that into him, communicate that to him the sooner the better. Don't continue to drag it on.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we'd be better off as friends.

Nothing drives a guy more to the point of killing someone than to hear this line.

I honestly try to work it out but if not. Be honest.

"Sorry, this isn't going to work. You come across to me as an irresponsible person and I don't want that in my life. It's better this way."

If you still remain friends well, then you are friends. It will save you a lot of drama down the road.
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a guy...just be HONEST. It really is the best way to go.
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    send him a text message telling him you are allergic to him.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I can see it already. I break up with him, he calls me a ***** and a *kitten* behind my back. This is gonna be hard...
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    It's not me it's you!

this!!