How to break up with him...?

Options

Replies

• Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's been three days. Just tell him that you made a mistake and shouldn't have agreed to be his girlfriend. It's not like you guys have been dating for years and have a lot invested emotionally.

So what if he calls you a skank? Big deal. He'll get over it. You'll get over it.

But word to the wise: Don't poop where you sleep. Don't date coworkers. Terrible, TERRIBLE idea.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    amg double post fail >.<
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I once told a guy "it's just you feel like a brother to me" and he cried. So, DON'T say that.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Tell him you are married to the sea.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I once told a guy "it's just you feel like a brother to me" and he cried. So, DON'T say that.

weird same thing happened to me
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Since you look like an attractive version of Raven Symoné, you should just say "This relationship is not so Raven" and be done with it.
    -wtk
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm evil for doing this on a website, but I need help (ideas) on how to break up with my boyfriend.

Now, before you go judging me, let me explain myself. He and I have only been a couple for 3 days. We've been dating for about a month prior. He's nice & funny - which I really like :) HOWEVER:

1. he's a pothead (which I actually wouldn't mind at all except for the fact that he asked to borrow money from me to purchase it.)
    2. he asked to borrow money from me. already.
    3. he's my coworker...and he's constantly late to work (irresponsible?)
    4. he hardly talks to me at work. I understand, because I wanted to keep this relationship on the DL for now, but he practically ignores me...
    5. he is so obviously deeply scarred by all the women who have cheated and lied to him, and I'm afraid he's gonna make me pay for it

He's not a bad guy, he's just hurt. I knew all of this before I agreed to be his girlfriend but I have my own damn issues to work out. I know I should have said no. Shoulda Woulda Coulda. But...now what? How do I let him down easy? I don't want to hurt him anymore :(

Also, please don't be so mean to me. I made a mistake, and I feel terrible. I just need help. I really do care for him, but I'm just trying to avoid huge heartbreak because even now he has all the power to hurt me.

I think you should just read this whole post to him. It sounds like you've listed plenty of reasons as to why to break up with him. You have to be strong though in the long run and not give in to his ways to get you back. That's the worst thing you can do.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Go into the conversation with a very clear agenda: END IT. Don't dance around anything. You do not want to be in the relationship. The more you explain, the more you give away for debating.

Also.. The Road Dog RULES....
    Leave my picture on your night stand; next to your vibrator.
  • shiggyshane
    Options
    Talk to him about it but also if you not him feel you guys are better off as friends the being in a relationship you better do it now while its still fresh..trust me you dont want it to be down the line where there are more feelings involved cause then things will
    get ugly not only at work but outside it as well..good luck
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Be honest with him. Wouldn't you want the same in return?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Throw his **** in the yard. Slap him. Call him a bum. Just hide the keys to your Nova.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Tell him you are married to the sea.

lol
  • chellaJKR
    chellaJKR Posts: 146
    Options
    I wouldn't have the "be honest with him" type conversation! It's been three days! If you start spewing out all the things you dislike it WILL turn ugly, it'll hurt his ego and he isn't in love with you yet so there'll be a backlash lol.
    I agree with whoever said just tell him you made the wrong decision saying yes. You didn't think about it before you answered. You aren't ready. Didn't understand the question (lol kidding).
    I will reiterate, it's not wise to go busting out all the crummy things about him that lead to this decision, focus on why you just can't/shouldn't/don't want to date right now. Sorry I said yes when I shouldn't have. See you around.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I can see it already. I break up with him, he calls me a ***** and a *kitten* behind my back. This is gonna be hard...
    how about you buy him some weed first, then break up with him... never heard of an angry pothead. :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Really? FFS it's been 3 days, say "I've changed my mind, it's not me it's you." Puh-lease, if you've been with the guy for a few years or have committed in some serious sense I can understand, but it's been 1 month and 3 days since you even considered dating.

Or you can tell him that you're sleeping with someone else.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    It's not me it's you!

this would be my answer also. like a bandage pull it off fast. sure it stings, but it over with.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I can see it already. I break up with him, he calls me a ***** and a *kitten* behind my back. This is gonna be hard...
    :

That's why you tell every one he has a little wee wee before he has the chance!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I'm evil for doing this on a website, but I need help (ideas) on how to break up with my boyfriend.

Now, before you go judging me, let me explain myself. He and I have only been a couple for 3 days. We've been dating for about a month prior. He's nice & funny - which I really like :) HOWEVER:

1. he's a pothead (which I actually wouldn't mind at all except for the fact that he asked to borrow money from me to purchase it.)
    2. he asked to borrow money from me. already.
    3. he's my coworker...and he's constantly late to work (irresponsible?)
    4. he hardly talks to me at work. I understand, because I wanted to keep this relationship on the DL for now, but he practically ignores me...
    5. he is so obviously deeply scarred by all the women who have cheated and lied to him, and I'm afraid he's gonna make me pay for it

He's not a bad guy, he's just hurt. I knew all of this before I agreed to be his girlfriend but I have my own damn issues to work out. I know I should have said no. Shoulda Woulda Coulda. But...now what? How do I let him down easy? I don't want to hurt him anymore :(

Also, please don't be so mean to me. I made a mistake, and I feel terrible. I just need help. I really do care for him, but I'm just trying to avoid huge heartbreak because even now he has all the power to hurt me.
    I had a friend who ended up in your situation. You really may need to "scapegoat" this on someone else to keep him doing you any harm. Say your parents absolutely do not want you to have a boyfriend while you're in school or they'll take you out. This way it's not you directly making the decision. I wish you luck.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Every relationship is a learning experience. Sometimes you learn what you don't want. I actually had a little mental check list of things that I tried to find out about the guys I was dating within the first couple dates. They were my KNOWN deal breakers - (smoking, drugs, or other addictive behavior was one of them), so before anyone got too emotionally invested, I'd weed out the punks. ;)

Just be honest and say this isn't right for you and move on. Sounds like work will be civil (he'll probably just continue to ignore you).

Hurt or not, there is 1 thing I've learned about people (myself included). We can help each other, but no one person can "heal" you. That's up to him to figure out for himself. Healing and forgiving is a gift we each can give only to ourselves. Everyone gets hurt in life. It's how you deal with it and what you do about it that defines who you are. So if a man is running from hurt - whether running to pot, alcohol, girls, video games, etc - then he will always hide/run from it until HE decides it's important enough to him to stop.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Oh - and if he calls you a *kitten* behind your back, PLEASE don't give into the mud slinging. You know he's going to be angry - and since how we deal with difficult situations helps define who you are, if he starts calling you names, ignore it. If someone brings it up to you, ask them to consider the source. Your actions will speak VOLUMES about your character in this tough situation. People (the important ones) will see that you're not what he's advertising you to be. ;)