Please help! Sticking to diet, but I'm getting fatter!

Options
13»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    who is being judgemental? And how did what I say become hurtful? As I had said, I was pretty certain you didn't mean to say it how it came across. I was just clarifying what you had said so that other people understand that being a vegetarian has nothing to do with bad protein intake. I think you are being too sensitive and need to relax.

I think you should only respond to posts in a manner that is helpful to the OP.

Fact is, you don't know me or anything about me. And yeah, being a vegetarian IS a reason to have insufficient protein. Unless you have loads of money to spend on supplements, powders, and you really like nuts. And nuts give me hives, so I can't eat them.

I was a vegetarian for three years, I do know what I'm talking about.

I think it is irresponsible to say that vegetarianism itself is a difficult diet to get sufficient protein - it is not, and it does not require supplements and powders or nuts - there are plenty of successful vegetarians who have nut allergies. Most vegetarians I know have never used powders or ever needed to. Being vegan does require a B12 supplement, but that's it. A person on any diet, whether omni, veg*n, or any variation thereof should pay attention to their nutrition since any diet does not automatically equal health without paying attention to what you are eating. Maybe you truly had issues, and that is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean vegetarianism is hard (in terms of getting protein) - in fact for most it can be pretty easy considering vegetarians still eat dairy. Even the ADA finally came around and has recognized that a vegetarian diet is healthy for any stage of life. This is not to be judgmental, as the other poster said, but to clarify so as not to misinform others that vegetarians automatically have a hard time getting protein. Again, that doesn't mean that you didn't have a hard time getting certain nutrients, just as one diet is not necessarily optimal for all.

Regarding your actual post - ninerbuff made a good point. It is also possible to do gluten free fairly simply on your own if you do the research, but if you have the opportunity to talk to your doctor then you should do so.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I guess opinions are just that, opinions. I actually was trying to be helpful to you, to help you understand that reading nutrition labels you will find protein is in almost everything so that you could keep that in consideration. It's also beneficial for other people to know that too and not to just assume vegetarians can't reach their protien inake easily as you has seemingly suggested.I don't believe I came off as rude, judgemental, or hurtful. If I did I apologize. I don't know anything about you. I don't claim that what I eat is going to affect my body the same as yours. I don't eat protein powders, nuts, or anything else expensive either. I know what it's like to live with family and not have choices about what they buy to eat. I'm not claiming you know nothing. Good luck to your journey. I will leave it at that.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    who is being judgemental? And how did what I say become hurtful? As I had said, I was pretty certain you didn't mean to say it how it came across. I was just clarifying what you had said so that other people understand that being a vegetarian has nothing to do with bad protein intake. I think you are being too sensitive and need to relax.

I think you should only respond to posts in a manner that is helpful to the OP.

Fact is, you don't know me or anything about me. And yeah, being a vegetarian IS a reason to have insufficient protein. Unless you have loads of money to spend on supplements, powders, and you really like nuts. And nuts give me hives, so I can't eat them.

I was a vegetarian for three years, I do know what I'm talking about.

I think it is irresponsible to say that vegetarianism itself is a difficult diet to get sufficient protein - it is not, and it does not require supplements and powders or nuts - there are plenty of successful vegetarians who have nut allergies. Most vegetarians I know have never used powders or ever needed to. Being vegan does require a B12 supplement, but that's it. A person on any diet, whether omni, veg*n, or any variation thereof should pay attention to their nutrition since any diet does not automatically equal health without paying attention to what you are eating. Maybe you truly had issues, and that is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean vegetarianism is hard (in terms of getting protein) - in fact for most it can be pretty easy considering vegetarians still eat dairy. Even the ADA finally came around and has recognized that a vegetarian diet is healthy for any stage of life. This is not to be judgmental, as the other poster said, but to clarify so as not to misinform others that vegetarians automatically have a hard time getting protein. Again, that doesn't mean that you didn't have a hard time getting certain nutrients, just as one diet is not necessarily optimal for all.

Regarding your actual post - ninerbuff made a good point. It is also possible to do gluten free fairly simply on your own if you do the research, but if you have the opportunity to talk to your doctor then you should do so.

I didn't eat dairy when I was a vegetarian- but then again I was lactose intolerant.

And I didn't say vegetarianism causes low protein, what I meant is if it is done WRONG it causes low protein.

I'm done discussing this now.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    My protein sucks, but it always has. I have lost 30lbs on this journey so far, and my protein intake has ALWAYS sucked. In fact I was a vegetarian for a while.
    [/quote]

Being a vegetarian has nothing to do with saying your protein intake sucks. You probably didn't mean to put it that way, but I've been a vegetarian for 9 months and have had ZERO problems with protein intake. Protein is in almost everything. I'm surprised that you would say that being that you stated you were a vegetarian in the past.
    [/quote]

Much agreed. . . I am a vegetarian as well, and definitely don't have a problem meeting my protein needs. . .