Best way to lose weight without sports/running.

2»

Replies

• zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    I have a recumbent bike and I can't burn as many calories as I can on the elliptical at the gym.
  • I definitely feel your pain! I just started running earlier this year, completed my first 5km race and then not long afterwards put my back out and was literally on the living room floor for two days!

whilst it was extremely bad the chiro advised walking would be my new friend, it does help and can still help you reach your goal as long as you watch what you eat

Once the pain was getting better after a few expensive weeks at the chiro, i got back into the Jillian Michaels DVDs, have been doing 30DS and No more trouble zones, neither have hurt my back and i've found i've actually strengthen it which has helped

Hope you feel better soon! :)
  • I was recently advised not to run or play sports because of a current back issue. I am worried this is going to hinder my weight loss. I AM allowed to walk! Which I will be doing daily. It's just the heavy/hard impact of running that really hurts me the next few days. So, any advice? I feel like I am trying to walk 40-60minutes daily, but that's really not burning that many calories. Any good wii games? I am loving the "just dance" games and I know I can burn extra calories - but I don't have the money to spend for the wii fit counsel right now.

Thanks for any advice!! :) Feel free to add me if you think we're in the same boat!!

I am burning around 500 calories daily just walking. I have a HRM so I know my readings are accurate. I walk anywhere from 45-75 minutes each day. Not all at once. It is broken up due to my work schedule. It works and it is cardio, it burns a lot of calories.
  • I was recently advised not to run or play sports because of a current back issue. I am worried this is going to hinder my weight loss. I AM allowed to walk! Which I will be doing daily. It's just the heavy/hard impact of running that really hurts me the next few days. So, any advice? I feel like I am trying to walk 40-60minutes daily, but that's really not burning that many calories. Any good wii games? I am loving the "just dance" games and I know I can burn extra calories - but I don't have the money to spend for the wii fit counsel right now.

Thanks for any advice!! :) Feel free to add me if you think we're in the same boat!!

I am burning around 500 calories daily just walking. I have a HRM so I know my readings are accurate. I walk anywhere from 45-75 minutes each day. Not all at once. It is broken up due to my work schedule. It works and it is cardio, it burns a lot of calories.

p.s. not just everyday kind of walking. walking with purpose. 3.5- 4 mph heart rate anywhere from 122-148 (when I do the Leslie Sansone part of my walking adventure my heatr
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Aquatic workouts are great... basically any core strengthening or aerobic classes in a warm water pool. It actually has helped me recover from my recent injury faster. Some health insurances cover them too.. so you might want check those out.

Walking is slow, but GREAT.. burn calories & invigorate the body. Clean eating is vital along with a LOT of water:)

Good luck & hope you are on your way to a quick recovery:)
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Aquatic workouts are great... basically any core strengthening or aerobic classes in a warm water pool.

^^This^^

Heck, just WALKING in water is a great workout, and it takes stress off joints and your back. Want to make your heart beat faster? Just walk faster when you're in the pool (or try to, anyway.) :)

Go, you!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    That totally sucks! I had a really bad back for about 18 months maybe 2 years ago and it was so hard. I found that swimming (or even just moving around in a pool) was great for me with no gravity :)

Yoga has also been a life saver! I have been amazed since I started regularly doing it how the day to day troubles my back used to give me have reduced!

Good luck! x
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Low impact step aerobics?
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    That totally sucks! I had a really bad back for about 18 months maybe 2 years ago and it was so hard. I found that swimming (or even just moving around in a pool) was great for me with no gravity :)

Yoga has also been a life saver! I have been amazed since I started regularly doing it how the day to day troubles my back used to give me have reduced!

Good luck! x

You are correct with the yoga helping back issues. More people should do it!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Hi,
    I walk, and only walk for exercise....one of my goals is to get to our local pool this winter to do water aerobics and water walking. However, during my weight loss journey, I walked....and walked....and walked.....and I continue to do so to keep the weight off. :smile:

Keep eating healthily, walk whenever you can (sneak it in....park as far from the doors to your classes as you can, walk to the grocery store, etc.), and let your back heal. I don't think there is anything more painful than a back injury.

Kaye
  • hml1976
    hml1976 Posts: 64
    I've lost 40lbs and I primarily walk. I also have a crappy back and have often stopped weight loss/fitness routines in the past because of injuries. I was determined not to get injured this time and it has worked.

I highly recommend walking if you can't do anything tougher. I do 5 miles 5 or 6 times a week at 4mph. Now that I'm stronger I've added in a Treadclimber (cardio machine) and just started doing strength training once a week.

Anyway, walking has been great for me, I highly recommend it!
This discussion has been closed.