Women and Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I'm purchasing a HRM, but I wanted to know what women think of the ones with the chest strap. I'm curious if they are comfortable and whether or not the stay accurate. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Very comfortable and more accurate than the watch :bigsmile:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I have a chest strap and have no issues. Fits right below the bra line and I hardly notice its on at all..
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I wear one and have no problems with it. I don't even feel it when exercising. It feels no different than a bra strap or sports bra band.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I found my HRM was inaccurate because of my boobs being in the way. Turns out that wasn't the case.

I place mine in the middle just under my boobs and I make sure that rub a bit of water on the sensors so it can pick up my heart rate easier.

Since then ive had no problems getting my heart rate and always managed to keep it during workouts.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Where do you suggest to purchase one of these? I've only seen the watch version at WalMart. And do you know how much they run (approx)?? I'm thinking about getting one, too to back up the calorie count.
  • caitlinsmum
    caitlinsmum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Very comfy - I forget that I'm wearing it.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I have a chest strap and have no issues. Fits right below the bra line and I hardly notice its on at all..
    I wear one and have no problems with it. I don't even feel it when exercising. It feels no different than a bra strap or sports bra band.

Ditto, ditto. :) I love mine!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I like it better - it seems more accurate and it's fine - I usually slide mine under the band of the sports bra I'm wearing to help keep it in place. It's also nice when you start losing weight and have to tighten it!

I had a mastectomy in March (with reconstruction) and just started exercising again and was pleased to notice the HRM band feels fine!
  • I just got a Polar watch/chest strap for my birthday and love it. I find I don't even remember I'm wearing the strap by the end of the workout.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I was reluctant to have a chest strap at first. But, I can honestly say it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes I have it on all day.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    as long as you have the right sports bra to wear with it, it is very comfortable. I bought a new sports bra that was too tight and It was sooo uncomfortable to wear. but once I got a better fitting bra I was fine. I love mine and wear it for every workout that I do.. sometimes I even wear it while I clean house or garden just to see how many calories I burn in day to day activities. I don't even notice it at all :-)
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a NIKE one that I got at Sports Authority... works very well! Sometimes I forget my watch, but I still put on the chest strap and the POLAR in the treadmill or elliptical still picks up my HR, so it works well without the watch too- The watch holds your personal settings, so I miss it on those days I forget my watch- but all in all- it works very well.... and yes- put a bit of water on the sensor before you put it next to your skin- makes great contact throughout the whole workout then.
  • Christina269
    Options
    I got mine at REI...
  • takm0527
    takm0527 Posts: 53
    Options
    Glad to see everyone likes theirs! I just ordered the Polar Ft7 and cannot WAIT for it to get here! It is more than I needed...I was going to get the Ft4 like my husband has but found a good deal on a new one on Ebay. I have been using a watch one...but I am doing faster workouts now (getting ready to start Turbo Fire) and I just can't stop to take the Heart Rate often enough to make it worth while.

I would not recommend getting one at Wal Mart..unless you get a Polar. We tried several from there from my husband because they were so much cheaper and they were ALL junk! One didn't even work for more than a day!
  • MeAgain2011
    MeAgain2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Where do you suggest to purchase one of these? I've only seen the watch version at WalMart. And do you know how much they run (approx)?? I'm thinking about getting one, too to back up the calorie count.

I got a Women's Polar FT7 on Ebay for about $75. Of course I take the chance that if something goes wrong with it, I wont be able to return it, but so far it has been great. Same model is about $110 at Best Buy.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    My HRM -usually around $45 on Amazon -- Timex T5G971

I LOVE it!! Much more accurate than the watch IMO, and I don't even notice the chest strap once I get it on and get into my workout. Put it under your breasts around your rib cage - I position mine just under the bottom band of my sports bra. Works great, highly recommend it!!

(only down side I've found to this one vs something like a Polar is that it's not water proof, so if you're a swimmer, this isn't the HRM for you)
  • Lacole216
    Options
    I purchased mine at Target. It's made by New Balance & it was $69.99
  • mailroommary
    Options
    I have one that has the watch included. I love it. I bought it on Amazon for around $45. My first one years ago was over $100. A lot of the new exercise equipment is in sync with the strap so most of the time I don't wear the watch.

221465.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran (okay, I DROVE LOL) to Walmart over lunch. I had picked up a watch one with a pedometer ($38). Well, Opened the box. They tell you "Hold any button for 5 secs to turn it on" Doesn't work, so I need to return it after work. So, Do I get another one or the model they have with the chest strap ($47). I'm going with the chest strapper. :-) I wanted some female feedback first LOL If they had put a woman's picture on the box, I wouldn't have asked LOL!
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT7 HRM! It has a very comfortable chest strap, that I hardly notice. It is more accurate than the machines at the gym and is tailored to me and my workouts. LOVE IT!

I bought it a "running" store where they sell lots of equipment and clothes, etc. for runners. Great Luck!