MFP lies to me.

Options
13»

Replies

• glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a fitness instructor so here is something I have learned through the years: People always say "Muscle weighs more" which is wrong. Muscle and fat weigh the same but muscle takes up less room. Think about how much space a pound of bricks take up and how much space a pound of feathers take up. Same weight but one brick vs many, many bags of feathers! That is how it works with muscle and fat- muscle is more compact so you can become smaller without the scales moving as long as you are working out wisely. So don't worry about what the scale says, kick up the weights and increase the amount of exercising you do to target those areas- abdominal workouts, squats, lunges, spinning classes.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing... Try eating your maintenance calories and uber upping the strength training with moderate cardio. You sound more like you want toning than weightloss.
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    Just curious, but do you log your calories burned with a heart rate monitor or do you just put your workout into My Fitness Pal and let it tell you how many calories you've burned? Everyone weighs different amounts. It takes more energy for a 200 lbs person to walk a mile in 30 minutes than it would for a 150 lbs person. I'm assuming that My Fitness Pal's "guess" at how many calories you've actually burned are based on someone else's entry once upon a time. If you're not using a heart rate monitor or a similar device (like a body bug), your estimates of how many calories you're burning could be way off.

Regardless of what your doing, you seem very active and are doing great! What's on the scale is just a number. If you're happy with how you feel and what you see, that's all that matters. :)

Hey! I like your quote by creflo, wow, I haven't heard his name in ages.

I DO wear an HRM by Garmin, just started over a week ago. Yes, MFP's calories were wayyyy off for me. They weren't giving me half enough credit for my circuit training.... and too much for my running!

I bought my 10-lb weights today at Target, I'm skeeered :) Let's go lose body fat! I threw out my scale last night! :happy:

That's a great idea! You don't really need a scale to to know if you're on track anyways. If you're really honest with yourself you know deep down if you're losing or gaining. You can tell by how you feel when you move and bend over and by how your clothing fits.