Sugar in milk

Replies

• wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Great, I've reached my limit on sugar for the day and its only lunch time. Why? Because I had a cup of milk. 16 grams of sugar. 16! Is there milk out there that has less sugar? Perhaps organic, soy, almond milk? Or is milk sugar natural and not as bad as processed sugar? HELP!

1. Unsweetened Almond Milk /w Stevia/Truvia... DONE!

2. Why are you tracking sugar? Just track carbs. Sugar is a subset of total carbs.

Cow's milk is full of Lactose (sugar) and is considered a simple carb. I dreaded giving up cow's milk, but I discovered a TON of my allergy problems went away after switching to almond milk. They make flavors as well.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    I wouldn't touch milk as a source of protein, carbs or as a rehydration source. It has insufficient enzymes due to pasteurization and/or heat treatment. The protein isn't high quality for the same reasons and WAY too low for most people’s requirements; even if it's high enough you can't digest it without the suitable enzyme activity. Lactose is a BAD source of carbs and poor sugar (for the same above reasons, most westerners can't tolerate lactose) and by skimming it you increase the net content of them. As for it being isotonic there are very few studies collaborate this and the bioavailability of those nutrients is VERY questionable. I don't allow ANY of my clients’ milk for this reason. Cereal and Milk are one of the major catalysts to the health state we are in IMO and you're also funding companies that thrive on profit before welfare of its consumers. Kellogg’s products have been banned in Denmark since 2004 as an interesting point.

If you do have to have milk: Almond Milk, Oat Milk or plain old water to make oats I see as valid substitutes. Certainly not Soy or Soya milk. If it was my kids I would have no problem using whey protein and water as a substitute for milk. Get a nice natural type. This would create uproar am sure but considering whey is one of the main ingredients in baby formula I wouldn't hesitate to bring down the people saying 'oooohhh you can't give a child that'. To me that just shows the ignorance and lack of attention you had when bringing up your child as to 'What' you where actually feeding them.

Phil Learney's advice!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I wouldn't touch milk as a source of protein, carbs or as a rehydration source. It has insufficient enzymes due to pasteurization and/or heat treatment. The protein isn't high quality for the same reasons and WAY too low for most people’s requirements; even if it's high enough you can't digest it without the suitable enzyme activity. Lactose is a BAD source of carbs and poor sugar (for the same above reasons, most westerners can't tolerate lactose) and by skimming it you increase the net content of them. As for it being isotonic there are very few studies collaborate this and the bioavailability of those nutrients is VERY questionable. I don't allow ANY of my clients’ milk for this reason. Cereal and Milk are one of the major catalysts to the health state we are in IMO and you're also funding companies that thrive on profit before welfare of its consumers. Kellogg’s products have been banned in Denmark since 2004 as an interesting point.

If you do have to have milk: Almond Milk, Oat Milk or plain old water to make oats I see as valid substitutes. Certainly not Soy or Soya milk. If it was my kids I would have no problem using whey protein and water as a substitute for milk. Get a nice natural type. This would create uproar am sure but considering whey is one of the main ingredients in baby formula I wouldn't hesitate to bring down the people saying 'oooohhh you can't give a child that'. To me that just shows the ignorance and lack of attention you had when bringing up your child as to 'What' you where actually feeding them.

Phil Learney's advice!

Milk is bad because it's so highly processed so let's use whey protein powder.

Sounds legit.

What the fck do you think whey is? How is it less processed than the jug of milk in the store?

If you have to have milk use water? Really? That sounds almost as intelligent as suggesting iceberg lettuce for a good filling source of protein.

Where are your facts that "most westerners can't tolerate lactose"?

Note to self: avoid Denmark. No cereal and milk allowed.

Fact: Cow milk was designed to grow a calf to 1000 pounds. That's why I drink more of it on leg day.
    It's science, yo.
  • sjohnny
    Well, I tried almond milk and thank you but no thank you. I'm not big on milk anyway, but I need some into my morning coffee.

According to homeboy up there water is a good alternative to milk. Maybe you could try putting water in your morning coffee.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    It's lactose. It has a high glycemic index, but a low glycemic load.
    And most people can't digest it anyway after a certain age. The Almond milk would be a better option.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Well, I tried almond milk and thank you but no thank you. I'm not big on milk anyway, but I need some into my morning coffee.
    Try Silk creamers, they are soy based and taste great in a coffee.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Great, I've reached my limit on sugar for the day and its only lunch time. Why? Because I had a cup of milk. 16 grams of sugar. 16! Is there milk out there that has less sugar? Perhaps organic, soy, almond milk? Or is milk sugar natural and not as bad as processed sugar? HELP!

Why are you limiting yourself to 16 grams of sugar? Are you diabetic? If so, then check with your doctor. These days, the common wisdom is to watch total carbs, not just sugars. And the general rule is no more than 30-40 grams in one sitting, not to exceed 120 grams per day.

ETA: And if you're not a diabetic, then don't bother tracking sugar at all.
  • haroon_awan
    Milk is bad because it's so highly processed so let's use whey protein powder.

Sounds legit.

What the fck do you think whey is? How is it less processed than the jug of milk in the store?

If you have to have milk use water? Really? That sounds almost as intelligent as suggesting iceberg lettuce for a good filling source of protein.

Where are your facts that "most westerners can't tolerate lactose"?

Note to self: avoid Denmark. No cereal and milk allowed.

Fact: Cow milk was designed to grow a calf to 1000 pounds. That's why I drink more of it on leg day.
    It's science, yo.

I didn't say whey was less processed. I said that that it's better AS A SOURCE OF PROTEIN than milk and should be used as a SUBSTITUTE. Learn to read. The "natural" part referred to 100% whey or pea etc protein, with no added sugars/sweeteners.

"If you do have to have milk: Almond Milk, Oat Milk or plain old water"
    The water part was only in relation to oats, wise guy. That related to eg parents whose kids like milk. Common sense - and again, learn to read. Do you honestly think I meant to people should be "putting water in your morning coffee" as you said? No.

The lactose part is true. Ask any decent personal trainer.

KELLOGG'S is banned in Denmark, not milk or cereal. Again, learn to read.

Drink all the milk you like, "homeboy".
  • sjohnny
    KELLOGG'S is banned in Denmark, not milk or cereal. Again, learn to read.
    Shoot all the smack you want but no corn flakes. Sounds like a good trade.
    Drink all the milk you like, "homeboy".
    I do, thanks. Always have and I have no issues as a result of it.

I'm also curious what kind of clients a 20 year old law student has where milk consumption is an issue. Maybe I'll start going to a dietician for legal advice.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Unsweetened Almond milk has no sugar - I put alittle Stevia in mine - it's really good.

Love almond milk!
  • haroon_awan
    You really need to learn to read! The advice isn't mine, it's by Phil Learney (which I said at the end of my first post!) who is one of the most respected Strength and Conditioning coaches and educates in the UK.

Kellogg's isn't the only brand that makes corn flakes. And since when were corn flakes healthy?

I'm not trying to "shoot smack". I'm just giving opinions which I agree with and work for me. If yours work for you, then by all means go and continue doing it. Don't argue with people and name call.

EDIT: Also, I note that you have no reply to my first two sections of the post and therefore admit you were wrong.

This is my final say on the matter. Goodnight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Why are you tracking sugar? Unless you have some type of issue where excessive sugar causes you other problems just quit looking at it. I don't track it at all, it doesn't show up on my diary. If your goal is weight loss just stay at or under your calorie goal.

Ditto!! Never tracked a single gram of sugar through 300+ lbs. of weight loss, I only track my caloric intake and my 3 main macro's Carbs, Protein, and Fats.... Beyond that I just never seen the need too.... Best of Luck....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Phil Learney's advice!

Almond milk has zero protein and yet you complain about the bioavilability of protein in milk, which by the way, is not true.

Do you realize what whey is made from?
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Hi Lauren,
    Why are you limiting sugar? Foods with natural sugar like milk, yogurt and fruits and vegetables are so good for you. Do not worry about the amount of sugar in natural foods. I avoid foods with added sugar and fruit juice - which is just like drinking soda. Plus you need the calcium for those growing bones, sorry, that's the mom in me!

Best of luck on this journey! It's great you are starting to eat healthier now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    There is no need to track sugar separately unless you need to do so for medical reasons - it is just a subset of carbs.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member

Why are you limiting yourself to 16 grams of sugar? Are you diabetic? If so, then check with your doctor. These days, the common wisdom is to watch total carbs, not just sugars. And the general rule is no more than 30-40 grams in one sitting, not to exceed 120 grams per day.

ETA: And if you're not a diabetic, then don't bother tracking sugar at all.

And even if you are..... I'm a type 2 diabetic and have never track sugar period... My Nutritionist told me in the beginning, use the KISS method "Keep it Simple Stupid" so when watching my macro's my Carbs are first, followed by Protein, and lastly Fats..... Beyond that she always told me if I am eating right the rest will fall into place... Best of Luck
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Any trainer that arbitrarily "denies" their clients a specific food source should probably be taken very cautiously.

If you have the enzymes to digest milk, and you enjoy milk, then go for it if it fits your diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    You really need to learn to read! The advice isn't mine, it's by Phil Learney (which I said at the end of my first post!) who is one of the most respected Strength and Conditioning coaches and educates in the UK.

Kellogg's isn't the only brand that makes corn flakes. And since when were corn flakes healthy?

I'm not trying to "shoot smack". I'm just giving opinions which I agree with and work for me. If yours work for you, then by all means go and continue doing it. Don't argue with people and name call.

EDIT: Also, I note that you have no reply to my first two sections of the post and therefore admit you were wrong.

What is wrong with corn flakes?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

You put milk on them. Checkmate babe, try again, thanks for playing.

:bigsmile:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member

You put milk on them. Checkmate babe, try again, thanks for playing.

:bigsmile:

That and corn is evil