How do you tell your child that Santa isn't real?

Options
My 11-year-old starts secondary school in a couple of weeks; we are at the tail end of the summer holidays here.

About a month ago he mentioned a Playstation game that is due out around Christmas time that he will DEFINITELY want. He said he will ask Santa for it. I bit my lip.

I work at a secondary school and know that talking about Father Christmas will result in mickey-taking as a lot of the children have older siblings and dropped the idea of Santa in Year 5.

Just to compound matters, we went on a family trip to see the 'real' Santa in Finland when he was younger and he still, to this day, believes he was the real thing.

What do I do???

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    What do you mean Santa isn't real? That's crazy talk.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    WAIT!!! What the heck are you talking about?!?!?!?!

SANTA ISN'T REAL!?!?!? :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    What do you mean Santa isn't real? That's crazy talk.

^^^^^ That
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    what??? Santa isn't real? I mean after 31 years my Momma never told me?
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    He's 11. He knows.

I was a public school teacher for a couple years.

The trip you all had was special. Don't ruin that for him.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    It took me three Christmases to figure out that even though my daughter said she was going to ask Santa for something, she knew damn well he didn't exist.

Probably because mom always says, "NO!"

:laugh:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You're just mean.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Okay, no parenting experience at all here, but you could ease into it by telling him that most people don't believe in Santa and work from there.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    no way.......get outta here
  • camberwellgreen
    Options
    Have a made a mistake here???:embarassed:
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You just have to tell him the truth as kids will take the micky - i am a secondary school teacher - its harsh but needs to be said i would be suprised if he had no idea already to be honest x
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I will never deny the existence of Santa to my daughter. :laugh:

I'm gonna stay up late and stick presents under the tree until she is in college! :drinker:
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    my cousins told me when i was little, that the real santa fell off the roof & died. & all the grown ups didnt want the kids to know & be sad, so thats why grown ups are santa. to keep the magic alive.
    i liked that.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My brothers told me when I was 4. I can remember when they said it to me too >>

TBH, agree with a comment above, he's 11, he already knows.

If not then be truthful. I don't know, not something I've ever had to do :-/
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I let my parents think I believed in Santa long after I knew the truth. You got more presents that way. =) I would say he probably knows or at least has a good idea he isn't real and just needs you to confirm it.
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    Don't do anything!!! Once the magic of Christmas is gone the holiday just won't be the same. Let him believe as long as he can, the world is jaded enough without taking that away.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    He's 11. He knows.

I'm now 31, I've know that santa wasn't real for over 20 years now and my sisters and I still ask for stuff from "Santa" and insist on stockings being hung and filled. Don't worry about it.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Tell him the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy got drunk one night, stole a car and killed Santa in a hit and run. They got caught, put in Jail, so they'll be no chocolate or money under the pillow this year either...
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i STILL ask my mom and dad if "santa can bring me this, this year" and im 29. lol...i figured it out that he wasnt real when i was like 9...chances are your kid knows too but just says it like that = )
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    You don't need to tell him. He has either figured it out or he will soon.

My daughter used to leave a Ham Sandwich and a double bourbon on the rocks out on Christmas Eve for Santa. She's 17 and she still does.