How do you tell your child that Santa isn't real?

Options

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    He's 11. He knows.

^ THIS.
    He already knows Santa isn't real. Seriously, he's playing you or going along with it because he probably thinks you still want him to believe it.
  • LoseItJourney
    LoseItJourney Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    He knows.
    as soon as one kid at school knows everyone knows.
    Just leave it along until he feels like saying something.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    We didn't get everything we asked Santa for. We gave our parents a list, they passed it a long to Santa and edited it as they saw fit. You don't get everything you ask for, no matter who it is you ask. Let the thought go on, it doesn't hurt.

And, as others said, he probably knows...
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    God that is the cutest thing ever! But you are absolutely right, he will be bullied for life if he ever mentions that at secondary school!

Maybe you could say you wanted to have a chat as he is now old enough to know the truth, tell him about the story of how Santa came to be (Fable not the Coke version) and how it is a way of making Christmas extra special for small kids, but when they get to a certain age the truth is always revealed and now he is that age. Might make him feel more grown up and that everyone his age has the secret revealed.

He might also be winding you up of course!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i STILL ask my mom and dad if "santa can bring me this, this year" and im 29. lol...i figured it out that he wasnt real when i was like 9...chances are your kid knows too but just says it like that = )
    and one year my older cousins told me santa wasnt real and i snitched them out to my grandma and they didnt get their santa xmas presents lol...i was like 6 or so and they were 12.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything!!! Once the magic of Christmas is gone the holiday just won't be the same. Let him believe as long as he can, the world is jaded enough without taking that away.

^^ This!
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Tell him the story of the REAL St. Nicholas and why we celebrate... make it fun.

btw, of course he's real!!! I suppose you don't believe in fairies, either?!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    we got busted. it was bad and after we explained to her everything she said "do i even need to ask about the easter bunny?" we just told her that we need to believe in the spirit of christmas and santa is for little kids. The real meaning of Christmas is way cooler. She agreed and we keep it on the DL for little bro who is 5. We have now kicked the easter bunny to the curb. it just bugged me too much. My kids still get to do the egg hunt stuff.

BTW my daughter is 11 she said she has known for a while and didnt want to hurt our feelings so she just kept on going along with the shennanigans!
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I will never deny the existence of Santa to my daughter. :laugh:

I'm gonna stay up late and stick presents under the tree until she is in college! :drinker:
    my cousins told me when i was little, that the real santa fell off the roof & died. & all the grown ups didnt want the kids to know & be sad, so thats why grown ups are santa. to keep the magic alive.
    i liked that.

This ^^ and omg Harley, that's adorable!!!! I'm going to have to remember that one, lol

Pft, I'm 30 and still believe there is nothing wrong with a little magic in the world, lol.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    He's 11. He knows.

^ THIS.
    He already knows Santa isn't real. Seriously, he's playing you or going along with it because he probably thinks you still want him to believe it.

Yep.
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yeah, had that conversation with my 10 year old and I think I cried more than she did over the idea that she wasn't a little girl anymore...I'm a sap, I know.

I took the approach of explaining that there really was a Santa (St. Nicholas) a long time ago and that the "idea" of Santa is still very real (people being generous and giving gifts, etc.). I also explained that parents did that for their kids because they love them. It's hard to get around the fact that we've been telling them about a person who doesn't exist anymore...basically we are lying to them but she seemed to understand what I was saying. Specifically that the idea of Santa is still real. I also included her on the stocking stuffing, etc. for her younger sister so she was thrilled that she got to be part of the "magic." Not sure how the younger sib will take it when it's time for her to hear the truth...not sure how I will take it either for that matter! :cry:
  • camberwellgreen
    Options
    Tell him the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy got drunk one night, stole a car and killed Santa in a hit and run. They got caught, put in Jail, so they'll be no chocolate or money under the pillow this year either...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My mom still likes to act like Santa is real - I am 34 years old and I am the youngest.

What is the need in telling him?

We didn't always get the name brands or exactly what we wanted and no one cared and was thankful for what we did get. My parents made sure of that by having us take a Christmas dinner and presents to a less fortunate family.

Don't take the magic away from Christmas! Doesn't matter if Santa is real or not...there is a more important reason we celebrate Christmas after all.
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see why you NEED to tell him. Unless he comes to you about it and asks, eventually he may do that. But if you feel you must, I would ask him if he believes in the true meaning of christmas first. You may find out he may only still believe because he thinks he won't get presents otherwise.
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    11 years old?? He MUST know!! He probably just meant it tongue-in-cheek to make sure you get him what he wants!!! Or u will have to break it to him gently that you have been lying to him for years and there is no santa!!! (I really think he knows by now though)

My mum NEVER lied to me- I always knew that santa, the tooth fairy (and all other ridiculous ideologies) didn't exist- HOWEVER I didnt enjoy chiristmas any less!! I always got money when I lost a tooth etc etc.

I loved the excitement that came with opening christmas presents, xmas dinner, all of the family coming together... I still get excited now and I'm 26!!

So if he really doesnt know, he will still enjoy it because xmas is much more than a fake fat man coming down your chimney!!!!
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When he's ready to believe Santa isn't real, he'll tell YOU. I know.. I tried for two years to tell my daughter Santa wasn't real and she called me a liar!! She refused to believe it. Chances are he knows and doesn't want the magic to end. If he asks whether Santa is real, ask him what HE thinks... if he still believes, he'll find a way to rationalize the fact that there are price tags on his toys. lol.
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Tell him the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy got drunk one night, stole a car and killed Santa in a hit and run. They got caught, put in Jail, so they'll be no chocolate or money under the pillow this year either...

love this !!!
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    I went through the same thing last yr. Well actually the last few yrs. Since my daughter was 8, every yr she would ask if Santa was real. My response was always"what do you believe" every yr she said that she believed he was real. Last yr she asked the same thing, I responded the same way, she answered, No I don't believe he exists. Asked and answered. That way she was the one telling me she was old enough. I don't feel like I took anything away from her. Granted I will still put presents under the tree from "Santa".. Hope that helps.
  • marlisold
    marlisold Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just went through this with my 10 year old. He asked me and I told him that if he believes then Santa still brings presents *wink* and if he doesn't believe then Santa won't come. Another wink. He has a younger brother and I basically pulled him in on the Santa "fun" to help with his little brother. It's basically what my mom did with me (as I was the older kid). I still had fun and their was still something magical about even though I really knew. I also like the whole Polar Express story.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Awwww...that 's rough. Not to sound totally credulous, but my mother thought she should mention it when I was in 7th grade. Yes 7th GRADE! Now by that time, deep inside, I knew, but somehow having her confirm in took the magic out of Christmas for me that year. When she said it.."You know there's no Santa Claus right?' I said, "Well of course." But it snuffed out a bit of joy for me. It left such an impression that when my husband and I adopted two kids we never went the Santa route. I say this, not to make you feel horrible, but to say, don't just blurt it out. Think about it for a while. You know your kid best and will figure out the best way to break it to him.