Pizza Toppings

Options
Justjoshin
Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
We make homemade pizza in our house every now and again, and have become fairly creative with pizza toppings.

Just wondering if you have a favorite (maybe it's something I haven't tried and can give it a go this weekend)

Try to keep it fairly healthy!

Replies

• tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    one of my most favorite pizzas is actually made from leftovers....my husband will grill veggies to go with chicken breast, thats one night dinner, the next night we take those leftover veggies (that would be too mushy to eat again on their own, take the leftover grilled chicken and some bbq sauce and put it on the pizza...veggies-squash, zuc, peppers, onions. seriously the best pizza i can think of.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    green peppers and fresh pineapple.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    pineapple!!!

then of course meat lovers :)
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love artichoke hearts on pizza! My favorite to make for a group is chicken, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers.

Since I'm single though, I love making little pineapple pizzas--1 english muffin, a little pizza sauce, some crushed pineapple (typically I can make 2 mini pizzas with a little can of the crushed pineapple) and low-fat mozzarella. So yummy!
  • trixieSF
    trixieSF Posts: 10
    Options
    Carmelized onions! So delicious. They take a while to cook down, so I make sure I have a few different ideas with what to do with them before I commit.
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do a grilled chicken/spinach and mushroom pizza on whole wheat pita bread with fat free mozzarella cheese. Sometimes I add mushrooms and red onion to the chicken/baby spinach sautee. But Sunday at SAMS the lady used barbeque sauce chicken and mozzarella cheese on the sandwich rounds. I bet that would be good with pineapple!
  • Justjoshin
    Options
    I love all the responses. BBQ Chicken pizza is my favorite, but all that BBQ sauce adds calories quick!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells a bell pepper and onion medley in the frozen foods. It has yellow, red, green peppers and white onions. They are all sliced and ready to go. We love these on our home made pizzas (and for fajitas, btw)--they add loads of flavor, not cals!
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You could make a white pizza with spinach or sauteed broccoli if you're looking for something besides the usual tomato sauce based pizza. Take some part-skim ricotta cheese and spread it on the pizza dough. Next, take some sauteed broccoli or spinach and place it on the ricotta cheese. Then, top it with some part-skim mozzarella cheese. Hope you enjoy!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Feta, chicken and broccoli is my fav
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    i feel like having pizza with pasta on it ...havent dont it before but it sounds DELISHH
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    i feel like having pizza with pasta on it ...havent dont it before but it sounds DELISHH
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
  • Julianacaceres
    Options
    Shredded chicken, cranberry sauce and camembert with a sprinkle of toasted almonds. Yummmmmmmm
  • Justjoshin
    Options
    Homemade Pizza this Friday again too!

Who else has some oddball favorite toppings?!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Pesto, chicken and goat cheese! Yum!
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like canned petite diced tomatoes (with herbs) cooked down a bit and used for the sauce with thinly sliced squash (yellow and zuchinni) and sliced sauteed onions and mushrooms. No cheese for this cat unless it's a bit of parmesan...but I usually skip it.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My favs are pretty boring.. Turkey Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Banana Peppers, a sprinkle of blue cheese fresh parmesean cheese, fresh tomato slices, spinach, fresh garlic, green olives
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There's a place by my house that makes the best pizza ever, but making it at home is so much healthier....

It's a white sauce at the pizza place, so I just use a ton less of it, and then the toppings are white cheese, chicken, artichoke hearts, ham and capers. The capers I was skeptical of on pizza, but omg it is the BEST thing EVER.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Spinach, tomato, onion....mmmmm