Is It Really Necessary?

Options
13»

Replies

• rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to get flamed for asking this buuuuuut... it said that she is a stay at home mom, and then says that she used to use frozen meals, etc. because she was so busy. Both of my parents worked full time and we still had homemade dinners 95% of the time (the other 5% being eating at a restaurant or the occasional frozen pizza). If she chose to stay at home for her kids, then why is it that she wasn't using all that time to make healthy homemade foods? Maybe I'm naive (i'm still a student, I don't have kids, etc.) but wouldn't the whole reasoning behind staying at home be so you could make taking care of your kids, including their nutrition, the focus?
    Kind off off topic, but that part of the article really bothered me, especially the way that the article made it seem like it is typical of a stay at home mom to be too busy to prepare food at home.
  • futurekilousky
    Options
    For those of you that think this family is extreme, do yourself a favor & watch the documentary 'Food Inc'. It can be a little disturbing & you might want to watch first & then decide if it's ok to let your family watch. My kids have all seen it & I think they got a good education from it. My daughter took it to school & her teacher played it for her class & several others. Educate yourselves on what goes on in the world with our food & see what you are really eating. I don't go to the extremes of organic, only because I can't afford it, but I do stick mainly to unprocessed foods. I grow veggies in my garden & buy from farmer's markets. I've raised 3 kids on good whoesome foods, but I never told them they couldn't have cake at a birthday party. I just never filled my cubbords with junk. All of my kids like treats, but I've seen all of them pick salad over cookies, & they love to pick & eat sugar snap peas off the vine in my garden. They're like candy to them. The reason kids go for junk over good food is because that's what they are used to, that's what we give them. Raise them on good food & you'd be surprised how much they'll like it. As parents, our children's health is our main priority, why would we not give them healthy food? Hello? have you seen the kids of America today?

Absolutely agree. Loved that documentary !
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I'm probably going to get flamed for asking this buuuuuut... it said that she is a stay at home mom, and then says that she used to use frozen meals, etc. because she was so busy. Both of my parents worked full time and we still had homemade dinners 95% of the time (the other 5% being eating at a restaurant or the occasional frozen pizza). If she chose to stay at home for her kids, then why is it that she wasn't using all that time to make healthy homemade foods? Maybe I'm naive (i'm still a student, I don't have kids, etc.) but wouldn't the whole reasoning behind staying at home be so you could make taking care of your kids, including their nutrition, the focus?
    Kind off off topic, but that part of the article really bothered me, especially the way that the article made it seem like it is typical of a stay at home mom to be too busy to prepare food at home.

Because it is easier, and when you are driving kids too and from activities, being climbed on by children for 8 hours, making sure your husband has a clean outfit for work, making sure the dogs have been walked, fed, bathed. Buying groceries, hauling them in, putting them away. Cleaning the house, reading books to kids, breaking up fights... you just think, "dear lord give me an easy choice for dinner so I can go hide in my room and have 5 minutes alone!" lol or something like that.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

She was too busy for the same reason that so many people are too busy to work out -- because we don't know how to manage our time properly, and we've forgotten how to prioritize. I'm a stay-at-home mom, and I often feel like I'm "too busy" to get stuff done. But the reality is, I have the same 24 hours in every day, just like everyone else, but sometimes I don't use those hours wisely. Preparing homemade meals for every meal takes advance planning, and that's not a skill that many people seem to have these days.

I do agree with you that we *should* all be able to spend our time on the important things, but for many people these days, it's just not a reality, either by choice or circumstance.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Because it is easier, and when you are driving kids too and from activities, being climbed on by children for 8 hours, making sure your husband has a clean outfit for work, making sure the dogs have been walked, fed, bathed. Buying groceries, hauling them in, putting them away. Cleaning the house, reading books to kids, breaking up fights... you just think, "dear lord give me an easy choice for dinner so I can go hide in my room and have 5 minutes alone!" lol or something like that.

Yep, and when you do finally get that second of down time the last thing you want to do is spend 3 hours on Sunday cooking meals for the whole week. Even watching TV is a chore, because really you have to fold the laundry some time. Something has to give, and food seems to be the easiest (in my house it's dusting . . . and vacuuming).
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    thats totally OTT! being healthy is one thing, but completely depriving yourself is completely different. If i did this, i would just feel like im not living

I was at a friends wedding a few weeks ago, didn't eat the cake or buffet, I ate what I wanted before I went.

I don't feel like I'm not living, and we had a cracking day with good laughs all round.

I used to think 5 pints of beer a night was good living...

The difference is...you're an adult and you made the decision for yourself. You're not a little child who doesnt understand why they cant have cake at the party like all the other children!

So explain it to them then! Explain why you'd rather they didn't eat all the artificial ingredients that are bad for them. Give them the healthiest start in life NOW so that they can make the CHOICE when they are older. Surely thats better than getting them hooked on 'bad' things now, only for them to have to be on a site like this trying to undo the damage you and they have done to their bodies.

Many children have allergies etc which mean they can't eat at parties. It's hard, but at least in this instance it's a CHOICE rather than a medical condition (like myself - celiac) which prevents you from even being allowed to make a choice about eating certain things.

I totally agree. I hear the word "deprive" a lot when it comes to food and I just don't get it. I am no where near how that family is but I wish I could be. It's hard in this society where everything revolves around food. I love baking homemade treats with my kids. They are not deprived because they don't eat the same garbage that their friends eat. I actually think it's sad when I see so many kids at their school with huge bellies. It's not depriving your kids to give them the tools to live a healthy life. If they choose to do something different with their bodies when they are older, that is fine but it's a parent's job to give them the best start possible.

Deprive?!! Deprive?!!! Isn't it twisted that when referring to not giving our kids cake or treats we are "depriving" them? I think as a whole, parents all over the world are depriving their kids of NUTRUTION!!! Nutritional foods need to be the main part of our childrens' diets. (as well as our own) Processed foods should be very limited, if not eliminated. Treats should be just that - treats, enjoyed sometimes, not all the time.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    and yes I do still believe that completely removing sweets/treats is deprivation. Life is meant to be enjoyed and food is something that most people do enjoy. If you dont have the self control to only allow yourself these treats on occasion then thats a psychological problem that you should deal with outside of your weight loss journey. If you absolutely NEED to go to these extremes then I honestly think you have a problem just as a person who NEEDS to eat all the time does.

This goes far bigger and would take far more time to write about than I'm prepared to give it here, so we shall have to agree to disagree :o)

In short though:

If you consider food as fuel then it makes more sense. Far from depravation, I am giving my body what it needs, I'm not depriving my body of anything.

Deprivation (in this instance) is an issue with the mind as you have correctly pointed out. I do not consider it to be a psychlogial problem though.

As I say, it's bigger than just food, it's how I view society in general, but I won't rant about that here!
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    and yes I do still believe that completely removing sweets/treats is deprivation. Life is meant to be enjoyed and food is something that most people do enjoy. If you dont have the self control to only allow yourself these treats on occasion then thats a psychological problem that you should deal with outside of your weight loss journey. If you absolutely NEED to go to these extremes then I honestly think you have a problem just as a person who NEEDS to eat all the time does.

This goes far bigger and would take far more time to write about than I'm prepared to give it here, so we shall have to agree to disagree :o)

In short though:

If you consider food as fuel then it makes more sense. Far from depravation, I am giving my body what it needs, I'm not depriving my body of anything.

Deprivation (in this instance) is an issue with the mind as you have correctly pointed out. I do not consider it to be a psychlogial problem though.

As I say, it's bigger than just food, it's how I view society in general, but I won't rant about that here!

You may not be depriving your body but are you depriving your soul? I give my body what it needs and I give my soul a treat from time to time. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree....pity!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    "For the first time ever, overweight people outnumber average people in America. Doesn't that make overweight the average then? Last month you were fat, now you're average" - Jay Leno

I don't think it's ever too early to start teaching your family what real food & nutrition really is.. I mean unless you want your kids to grow up hating their bodies and turning to ED's like many adolescents in America or developing health issues early. They're doing what works for their family. Everyone just thinks it's extreme because it's not the norm but it's real. When they're older and not living in bed pans and on IVs and 100's of medications they'll be thankful.

edited for grammar errors
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    thats totally OTT! being healthy is one thing, but completely depriving yourself is completely different. If i did this, i would just feel like im not living

I was at a friends wedding a few weeks ago, didn't eat the cake or buffet, I ate what I wanted before I went.

I don't feel like I'm not living, and we had a cracking day with good laughs all round.

The difference is...you're an adult and you made the decision for yourself. You're not a little child who doesnt understand why they cant have cake at the party like all the other children!

So explain it to them then! Explain why you'd rather they didn't eat all the artificial ingredients that are bad for them. Give them the healthiest start in life NOW so that they can make the CHOICE when they are older. Surely thats better than getting them hooked on 'bad' things now, only for them to have to be on a site like this trying to undo the damage you and they have done to their bodies.

Many children have allergies etc which mean they can't eat at parties. It's hard, but at least in this instance it's a CHOICE rather than a medical condition (like myself - celiac) which prevents you from even being allowed to make a choice about eating certain things.

I totally agree. I hear the word "deprive" a lot when it comes to food and I just don't get it. I am no where near how that family is but I wish I could be. It's hard in this society where everything revolves around food. I love baking homemade treats with my kids. They are not deprived because they don't eat the same garbage that their friends eat. I actually think it's sad when I see so many kids at their school with huge bellies. It's not depriving your kids to give them the tools to live a healthy life. If they choose to do something different with their bodies when they are older, that is fine but it's a parent's job to give them the best start possible.

Deprive?!! Deprive?!!! Isn't it twisted that when referring to not giving our kids cake or treats we are "depriving" them? I think as a whole, parents all over the world are depriving their kids of NUTRUTION!!! Nutritional foods need to be the main part of our childrens' diets. (as well as our own) Processed foods should be very limited, if not eliminated. Treats should be just that - treats, enjoyed sometimes, not all the time.

I agree...treats should be given occasionally and nutrition should be given everyday...but if you are giving your kids the nutrition they need and yet still not allowing them the treats on occasion....isnt that depriving them? I wouldnt feel I was depriving my child by not keeping sweets in the house but I would feel that I was depriving them if I didnt allow them to have treats for certain occasions such as birthday and holidays.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Yep, I totally agree. I take the word deprive a little personally when it comes to my kids because I've heard it before. Today we are making some homemade cookies and granola bars together to stock up for when they go back to school. They won't have chips ahoy or other processed crap in their lunchboxes but they are certainly not deprived. :)
  • carrie1128
    Options

I agree...treats should be given occasionally and nutrition should be given everyday...but if you are giving your kids the nutrition they need and yet still not allowing them the treats on occasion....isnt that depriving them? I wouldnt feel I was depriving my child by not keeping sweets in the house but I would feel that I was depriving them if I didnt allow them to have treats for certain occasions such as birthday and holidays.
    I know what you are saying and this is something I struggle with which is why I don't do what this family does even though I'd like to. My problem is that it's not just the occasional birthday party. It's every day! There is always a celebration or birthday going on in school. I'm telling you, it's at least 2-3 times a week. They get rewarded for good behavior and grades in school with lollipops. They get donuts and other crap at sports games (which we sign up for to be healthy). It's frustrating just how much our society revolves around food and celebrations. It seems that everyone is always using the word "moderation" but no one really knows what that means.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    You may not be depriving your body but are you depriving your soul? I give my body what it needs and I give my soul a treat from time to time. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree....pity!

You've actually hit the nail on the head, and we agree...maybe just not on how :o)

I do treat my soul, just not with food or material goods.

:o)
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Is what she did healthy, yes. Is what she did anything I would ever dream of no. I don't want to have a specialized diet, I don't want to be the person who cannot go to that restaurant. I think the kids will have a hard time at birthday parties, pizza parties, and fundraisers. It's hard to be different, this is radically different than mainstream society, and for most people not something they manage to keep up for the long term. I am more in support of working with mainstream, chose the healthier option. Understand what a portion size is. Considering a healthy snack, this is just too far for me.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy, my children... well, not so much.
    Much like the girls in the story - I have a 5 year old and 3 year old. I struggle everyday to try to get the 5 year old to eat a healthy balanced breakfast, but if it's not chocolate covered, chocolate dipped, chocolate sprinkled, she's not interested. My 3 year old on the other hand does not like cake, or ice cream and will always choose fruit over a rice crispy square.
    I started a trade off program with the 5 year old. Eat something healthy and I will reward you with a "treat". I'll let you know how that goes.

As far as depriving your child of birthday cake and pizza parties - I was recently in this situation and though the mom was totally nuts! She even brought a piece of home baked cake for her kid to my daughters birthday party. My cake wasn't so bad - it wasn't grocery store bought: I had it made by a local artisan baker - banana cake with chocolate ganache. I did learn from the Mom however that since she's eliminated certain dyes from the food her child eats, she's not getting the crazy highs and lows from the child. I accept that, her child is more sensitive to certain foods... but I'm still not going to say no to my child at a birthday party.
  • jbdowns35
    Options

I know what you are saying and this is something I struggle with which is why I don't do what this family does even though I'd like to. My problem is that it's not just the occasional birthday party. It's every day! There is always a celebration or birthday going on in school. I'm telling you, it's at least 2-3 times a week. They get rewarded for good behavior and grades in school with lollipops. They get donuts and other crap at sports games (which we sign up for to be healthy). It's frustrating just how much our society revolves around food and celebrations. It seems that everyone is always using the word "moderation" but no one really knows what that means.

I know where you are coming from. It's a constant battle with society & your kids. The school systems are a major contributor to our nation's childhood obesity problem. There is only so much you can do. When my kids played soccer, each parent took a turn at bringing snacks, but we all agreed that the snack every week would be oranges. That's what they got, every week. Pack your kid's school lunch, don't give them any extra money for vending machines. Talk to the teachers that give candy rewards, go to a school board meeting if you have to, probably wont get far, but it's worth a try. Call Jamie Olliver!! :) The most important thing is to do whatever you can to educate your kids about healthy eating habbits, they learn by example, & don't get frustrated, their tastes will change as they grow. I let my kids watch "Food Inc" and it really made a huge impression on all 3 of them. My daughter took it to school & her teacher went crazy with it, showing it to all her classes. Might not be appropriate for younger children, though.
  • carrie1128
    Options

I know where you are coming from. It's a constant battle with society & your kids. The school systems are a major contributor to our nation's childhood obesity problem. There is only so much you can do. When my kids played soccer, each parent took a turn at bringing snacks, but we all agreed that the snack every week would be oranges. That's what they got, every week. Pack your kid's school lunch, don't give them any extra money for vending machines. Talk to the teachers that give candy rewards, go to a school board meeting if you have to, probably wont get far, but it's worth a try. Call Jamie Olliver!! :) The most important thing is to do whatever you can to educate your kids about healthy eating habbits, they learn by example, & don't get frustrated, their tastes will change as they grow. I let my kids watch "Food Inc" and it really made a huge impression on all 3 of them. My daughter took it to school & her teacher went crazy with it, showing it to all her classes. Might not be appropriate for younger children, though.
    I adore Jamie Oliver! I live in an area where 30% of our school is on a free or reduced lunch and breakfast program and unfortunately I see a direct relationship between that and obesity in the kids. The school lunches are crap! I've tried to fight it on a smaller scale but get resistance everywhere and constantly hear that you can't "deprive" the kids so it makes me nuts. I'm just going to do the best for my family and offer advice when asked because no one wants to hear it apparently. It's sad though that we live in a country where 20% of our population is now obese and it will just continue to get worse. Check out this map. It makes me feel like crying and this was last year.
    http://healthyamericans.org/reports/obesity2010/
  • ash1976
    ash1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I dont think depriving yourself completely is any healthier than overeating. You're just going from one extreme to another. Its not about extremes...its about moderation and BALANCE!

These kids are gonna grow up one day and mommy and daddy cant protect them from cake forever. How are they gonna feel as adults when they have that first taste and realize just what their parents have taken from them? I think they are 100 times more likely to become gluttonous adults because they've been so deeply deprived as children...however, if their parents would take the time to teach them "all things in moderation" then maybe they'd see that cake is an occasional treat and its not going to kill them.

I am not saying that these people have bad intentions. In fact I think we should all strive to better our diet and reduce our intake of processed foods....but I will never tell my child that he/she cant have a piece of cake at a birthday party or candy on Halloween. Thats part of being a kid and I wont take that away from my children.

Agreed!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I adore Jamie Oliver! I live in an area where 30% of our school is on a free or reduced lunch and breakfast program and unfortunately I see a direct relationship between that and obesity in the kids. The school lunches are crap! I've tried to fight it on a smaller scale but get resistance everywhere and constantly hear that you can't "deprive" the kids so it makes me nuts. I'm just going to do the best for my family and offer advice when asked because no one wants to hear it apparently. It's sad though that we live in a country where 20% of our population is now obese and it will just continue to get worse. Check out this map. It makes me feel like crying and this was last year.

Man, school lunches. My son goes to a daycare that provides lunches, the previous woman on kitchen staff was pretty heart broken that she had such limited options mandated (everything had to be pre-cooked and bought from the service yada, yada). We sometimes take in watermelons or stuff from our garden because she's not allowed to buy fresh produce, but can use it if it's brought in. My son has gluten and soy allergies, so we have to take in most of his meals anyway, but it's off the chart. The crap that they serve those kids because everything has to come out of a box, a bag, or a tin.
  • jbdowns35
    Options

I checked out that map - Ugghhh that's soooo frustrating!!! It just boils my blood. Why are we so stupid? The public schools are supposed to be providing education, why aren't they educated about food & childhood obesity? Did you see the Jamie Olliver episode when he had an entire class room of kindergardeners & not one of them could identify any of your basic fresh foods - like a potato, brocolli, tomatoes. I wish there were more Jamie Olivers out there, one for each school district.