Gyms are Intimidating

Options
So, I have a membership to an awesome fitness center since I'm a student. However, I have this extreme... fear (?) of gyms. I always get extremely uncomfortable and just do not want to be there. I feel like people are staring at me and mentally making snide comments. I have a very paranoid personality.
I've only ever felt comfortable a few times. That was during Zumba with my best friend at our local gym. However, I can't go there anymore. So I'm very much so trying to put off going to the gym, but I know I need to.

Is there any rational way to get over this and just get excited to go?
And also, I'm a bit unsure as what to even do in a gym. I'll be honest. I've only ever done a class. I feel like I wouldn't even know where to start.

Thanks.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Biggest fear I see for new people.................people watching. If you go into a gym I can almost guarantee you that people are WAY more concerned about looking at themselves than others.

Get a weight room orientation. They are usually free. The more you know the easier it is.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Can you try and go at a less crowded time? College students don't like to wake up early. The gym at my school is empty at 8am...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not that big of deal... most people are too absorbed in themselves to be worrying about what your doing.

Bring an Ipod with some headphones and you'll be A-Ok.

As ninerbuff said, look into a weight room assessment.. and most will give you some sort of cardio program to go along with it.
  • Sagelit
    Sagelit Posts: 78
    Options
    Also, bring music. I find I don't think about the other people as much if I'm listening to awesome music and tuning out their noise.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it...JUST DO IT!!

Warm up (if you want to) 10-15 mins walking on a treadmill or using the elliptical...then hit the weights. Most weight machines have a description of what each machine does and how it works. Do weights for 30-45mins and then hit the treadmill or elliptical for another 30mins or so and you are done. (That is what I do) I will mix it up now and again. :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Biggest fear I see for new people.................people watching. If you go into a gym I can almost guarantee you that people are WAY more concerned about looking at themselves than others.

Get a weight room orientation. They are usually free. The more you know the easier it is.

This. People are more likely to be watching themselves than watching you. No one will be judging you any more than people do in the rest of the world. Just go. It will get easier and more comfortable every time.
  • smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would suggest paying for at least one session with a personal trainer. They can show you what to do so you don't feel like you are wondering around aimlessly. :)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    other people are there for the same reason you are, so no worries. You can do this.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    it is something you will have to just get over. I had never been to a gym in my life a year ago and was so scared, a friend went with me once and I realized it wasn't that bad. start by doing 30 minutes on the treadmill or something and go from there. there are all types of people at the gym, there is nothing to be scared about.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options

Ain't that the truth.......I agree.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I dont go to the gym. too many creepers in my opinion. :smile:
  • CarlieGareth
    Options
    I totally get that, I was the same, I felt I was been stared at, I think the best remedy is to just get yourself in there, stick some loud music on your mp3 and forget the world around you, youll forget about any staring or anyone around you and enjoy making yourself feel and look great :)
  • dk_runs
    dk_runs Posts: 106
    Options

Good advice.

I do know how you feel as I have had issues with Social Anxiety Disorder over the years. Oddly, joining a gym and doing some of the classes there have helped my overcome that. Once you establish a routine, get to know some of the folks at the gym, you will really enjoy going and actually look forward to it. As many people have stated on this post, ask for help. That's what the gym staff is there for. As for my SAD; I simply don't care what people think of me anymore and it's no longer an issue. I hope you are able to overcome your paranoia and enjoy getting fit.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    hello,

i can certainly understand how you feel, when i first started going to the gym is was almost 300lbs and felt very out of place just walking thr the door i also went with a friend who helped me realize that my way of thinking was unfounded, i also felt that people were looking at me and often used that as a excuse not to work out but she helped me realized not to think that way and dont make excuses by telling me one thing:

"people dont thnk about you, as much as YOU think about people thinking about you"......i got it.

i have since changed my attitude to the point where i go to the gym 5xs a wk, i put on my headphones, do my workout and head home, as far as im concened i as the only one there.

as far as what to do at the gym? that is up to you why not just try the treadmill for 15min, then move to the ellipitcal machine etc.. just to see what you like to do you mentioned you like the classes, try different classes, what is yr goal? do you want to loose wt or maintain your current weight? just give some thought as to what you want to do then build a routine around it, it may take a while to get usto using different machines or weights so just try it all im sure you will find something you like to do there.

oh and dont forget your headpohnes.

hope this helps.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I dont go to the gym. too many creepers in my opinion. :smile:

Oh good. Now she can relax and stop worrying. :tongue:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    No one is looking at you.!!!!!
    Its really bad gym etiquette to look around.

Start with a treadmill and enjoy.
    You might also want to see if there are trainers or attendants that can at least show you how to use each machine.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Suck it up cupcake.
    Guess what, let me tell you, in life your going to get a lot worse things. A lot worse.

I have a huge social anxiety disorder. It took a long time to be able to be comfortable. Apathy and anger are usually the best ways for me to deal with it. In reality no one gives a #### about what you are doing at the gym.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Your fear is not an uncommon one. The best way to break it is to know you're doing something that's right for you and you're there for yourself alone.

Another thing to keep in mind: In my experience, 90% of the people in gyms are simply mimicking things that other people are doing, with no real concept or understanding of what and why they are doing what they are doing. Just because someone's big doesn't mean he knows what he's doing!!

On top of that, most people are too busy with their own routines to notice anyone else (As you will be too busy with yours).

Talk to the Fitness Centre monitors and have someone take you around to show you how to do the exercises properly. That's what they're there for, and if you know what you're doing...then you're in the 10% of the people that will be getting the most out of their time there. :-)

Along with that, there are some great resource people on here who are more than willing to help out anytime you have questions.

Cheers!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I felt that way the first time went to the Y I realized Know one was actually looking at me i was the one looking at them but I would try to bring a friend or make friends with some of the people there most people are more are looking them selfs or into there ipod
  • Julieta17
    Options
    I used to feel the same way but like everyone else is saying… people usually are concentrating on themselves. Take your music and just focus on you and you’ll get comfortable soon. Remember, Everyone at the gym is there for the same reasons you are. :happy: Good luck! :)