Gyms are Intimidating

Options
2»

Replies

• chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hear ya ... I see that everyone has said that no one is looking at you and that they're more preoccupied with themselves and I know that it's true but it doesn't ease that self conscious feeling.

You just have to push past it and eventually you will feel more comfortable and make that gym your own.

I'm one to talk though, I've been thinking of joining my local gym for the cardio machines but am tempted to just buy an elliptical for my place, I actually think that I will use it more than a gym membership.

I have done the gym thing in the past and know that eventually I did become comfortable, but even then that walk from the entrance to my machine of choice still felt very awkward. And heaven forbid my machine not be available then I just didn't know what to do with myself. lol! Sounds pretty silly, I know.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I dont go to the gym. too many creepers in my opinion. :smile:

It's so annoying when people say stuff like that. If you have "too many creepers" to deal with, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

I'm an attractive girl, and have been a dedicated gym rat for 10 years. It's never been a problem. People who complain about "creepers" are usually a) self absorbed b) making a poor choice about the low-rent, classless gym they join or c) putting some vibes out there to garner that attention

To the OP - put your head phones in and have a plan going in. Tell yourself that you need to get through a great workout in only one hour. It will provide focus and keep you busy if you have a sense of urgency. The more time you have to walk around casually from machine to machine, the more time you have to focus on what other people are doing and thinking.

Keep it up, and you'll feel like a regular in no time!
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way and never EVER went to my college gym.

I started going to a gym down the street from me and it's not anything like I thought. People are staring at their machines or at televisions, not other people. The people that work there are all fit and muscle-y, but they're funny and nice.

I can start a 40 minute elliptical barely noticing the people around me and when I'm done there are totally different people. You don't even notice! So they aren't going to judge you or anything.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just walk in the door. See if they offer an orientation. My gym, planet fitness, offers classes and orientations to learn certain machines - upper body, lower body, abs, etc. Good way to learn the machines and your way around the gym. I, too, was intimidated to go to the gym. When I first walked into the gym and for the first 2 months, I had a cane. Don't you think I stuck out like a sore thumb???? But understand we are all there for the same reason, to improve or continue to be a fitter and more healthy person. Yes, people will look at you and yes, I look at people. People watching is what happens - no different then the mall except you are exercising. Concentrate on breaking a sweat and you will be fine!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. I box, so I go to a boxing gym (it also has all the weight and cardio machines as well). When I signed up, I was informed by the owner, that I was the first woman to join the gym in three years! THAT made me nervous as hell. Did I get looked at? Hell yes I got looked at...for about five minutes. Then guess what? After the initial "shock" of a woman being in the gym, everyone went back to doing what they were there to do. No big deal. But in taking that step, I found a new love in boxing. I would have never known how amazing boxing is if I hadn't taken that risk. Jump in with both feet, or you'll never know what awesome things you're missing!
  • chedeco
    chedeco Posts: 109
    Options
    I know some of those people who make snide comments about overweight people at the mall and whatnot and I can truthfully say that I've heard them say "Good for her" and "At least she's working on it" when they see overweight people at the gym. Perhaps that helps a little?
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I too was intimidated joining the gym.My best advice is get to know the gym staff. That helped my fear tremendously.Also go at a time when it is not that crowded so you won't feel too intimidated
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Think about it. When you go to the gym, how much time do YOU spend staring at other people? If you do catch a glance at someone, how often are you thinking something negative about them? Not very often, right? I hope not!

Other people at the gym are no more or less judgmental than you are. No one goes to the gym to stare at other people and judge them.

And really, even if they are? What harm does that do you? NONE. And they are wasting valuable workout time :)

I agree though that the uni gym is a ghost town in the am, so if that makes you feel better then that's when you should go. It's packed late afternoon/evening.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Can you try and go at a less crowded time? College students don't like to wake up early. The gym at my school is empty at 8am...

I go at 8 am at my school and it's dead!!! The gym gets crowded after classes and in the early evening, so if you are trying to avoid seeing a lot of people, go in the morning, like between 7 and 12.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I know some of those people who make snide comments about overweight people at the mall and whatnot and I can truthfully say that I've heard them say "Good for her" and "At least she's working on it" when they see overweight people at the gym. Perhaps that helps a little?
    You do realize that at one time or another many people at the gym were overweight and eventually worked down to becoming leaner?
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    To add to the above. Many people who are afraid to go to the gym have the belief that they will be ridiculed because they don't know what they're doing.

Spend some time in commercial gyms and you will see that 90% of the people working out don't know what they're doing either (including many of the so-called "trainers").
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    So, I have a membership to an awesome fitness center since I'm a student. However, I have this extreme... fear (?) of gyms. I always get extremely uncomfortable and just do not want to be there. I feel like people are staring at me and mentally making snide comments. I have a very paranoid personality.
    I've only ever felt comfortable a few times. That was during Zumba with my best friend at our local gym. However, I can't go there anymore. So I'm very much so trying to put off going to the gym, but I know I need to.

Is there any rational way to get over this and just get excited to go?
    And also, I'm a bit unsure as what to even do in a gym. I'll be honest. I've only ever done a class. I feel like I wouldn't even know where to start.

Thanks.

I'm sorry you are feeling that way. Feeling intimidated is hard to overcome for many people.

Have you asked for an orientation, specifically one for the machines and weight room? Most gyms (that I know of) will offer this- to help you get set up AND to make sure you know how to use the equipment properly (for your safety and to keep the equipment from being damaged!)

Also, you can try looking for a less crowded time to go, or maybe bringing a friend with you?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The stuff most folks have been saying is true. People are generally much more concerned with their own workouts than what you may be doing. There are people at gyms that might stare or what not, but I don't think it's tremendously more common than folks you might run into on the street somewhere.

As for your own discomfort, start small. Go for small workout sessions that you can stomach doing. Do classes or whatever that you can convince yourself to get up and do. Work your way towards longer workouts, and using equipment you're not so comfortable with now.

Good luck